We Recommend

• Vonter - January 20, 2014 2:46 p.m.

In Nier on the second playthrough the player understands the language the enemies speak and its an unsettling spot to be when the only way to advance is killing the opposition like in the first playthrough. The boss that only tried to escape the battle room is the one I felt the most bad since it wasn't really trying to hurt me.
  • Xtapolapopotamus - January 20, 2014 2:14 p.m.

Man, the ending to Last of Us is a huge part of what made that game so great. The final scene/final words alone stick with me vividly to this day, six months after beating it.
  • freeden - January 20, 2014 2:14 p.m.

Spoilers: Not exactly no choice, because you kind of fight against it, but To The Moon is one that comes to mind. One of the most heart breaking sequences in the entire game is the undoing of Johnny's memories and replacing them with new ones. While you kind of try to fight this, there's nothing you can do, and at the same time you know it has to be done to fulfill Johnny's wish. Hearing 'Everything's All Right' while watching Johnny's memories of River get completely destroyed is devastating, even if those memories are replaced by ones in which his twin brother is still alive. But the worst part is when you realize that, even if he does die with all those wonderful memories, they're still all completely fake. Both River AND his brother are still dead and he never actually did follow his dream of going to the moon. I felt really guilty at the end.\ To add to the list, Deus Ex has a fairly consequential ending to it. Yes, you have a choice, but no matter which one you pick, someone suffers for it. If you destroy Page, the Illuminati take control of the world again and you simply replace one dictator with another, if you merge with Helios, you basically give control of the world to a computer, and if you go with Tong, you plunge the world into a new dark age. No matter which one happens, you know in the end that the citizens of the world pretty much lose. In the end, as the sequel dictates, all three of these actually come true, which kind of sucks even more because now the Illuminati have a form of control, lives are still dictated by a computer, and the dark age happens anyway. But, hey, I guess it beats everyone dying off from the Gray Death, right?
  • bobob101 - January 20, 2014 2:08 p.m.

Wow, you really have to know your eroge to make a Bible Black reference. Most impressive, though it should not be Googled.
  • Mr_Magikarp - January 20, 2014 1:49 p.m.

How about the 2008 Prince of Persia, when, at the end of the game and re-imprisoning Ahriman, you're forced to free him again, taking the same exact path that Elika's father had taken at the beginning of the game, for the same exact reason? Excellent stuff.
  • Superdude576 - January 20, 2014 5:50 p.m.

I couldn't get into that game at all. The lexicon in the game was too modern, and it felt so cliched.
  • winner2 - January 20, 2014 6:04 p.m.

I didn't feel guilty at all, I was glad to revive her
  • Temperance11 - January 20, 2014 1:44 p.m.

"Papers, Please"...anybody? Oh hey, a husband and wife running from the mob and wanting to live together in the safety of a new country. That's cool, I'm glad I could...wait...what do you mean her passport is expired?
  • Zayne013 - January 20, 2014 1:37 p.m.

Mass Effect? No?
  • BladedFalcon - January 20, 2014 1:53 p.m.

Not really, because you have Paragon options, not just the renegade ones. meaning that a lot of the potentially terrible things you can do in that game are merely just optional. If you play choosing mostly paragon choices, there's not much to feel terrible about.
  • g1rldraco7 - January 20, 2014 1:31 p.m.

How was Link suppose to know Ganon was following him anyway? Besides Princess Zelda admitted at the end that it was her fault because she wanted all the power and assumed she could handle it. Don't care for Pikmin that much, but it is hard to watch their souls fly away as they cry from being eaten.
  • hester2 - January 20, 2014 1:23 p.m.

I loved the ending to The Last of Us. At the moment I was playing, I was right there with Joel, so angry that I threw stealth to the wind and went into full-on berzerker mode. It wasn't until after finishing the game that I looked back on the implications of that scene and said "holy shit."
  • patbateman17 - January 20, 2014 1:51 p.m.

SPOILERS (obviously) Same here. I loved it. As soon as they try to march you out of the base, I already knew I wanted to kill everyone there to rescue Ellie. Blasting through the heavy guards with nailbombs was great and seeing the shadows of the doctors geared me up. I had already made the decision. I equipped my shotgun and busted in. I had to hear from others that the doctors actually beg...the second I saw them I blew them all away, The ending cutscene with the flashbacks...brilliant. All of it was brilliant. SPOILERS for Heavy Rain: I felt the same way on The Shark mission in Heavy Rain. Before it even started I knew I was going to shoot the guy. Once I saw the prompt it took me half a second to pull the trigger. I didn't even realize you could progress without doing it. Too bad the ending defecated all over the game...
  • universaltofu - January 20, 2014 1:21 p.m.

The simulation in Fallout 3 comes to mind, as do some parts in Skyrim. Also while I can't think of anything that would fit from walking dead, pretty much every time 'this character will remember you said that' comes up, I feel immediately bad.
  • JohnDagger - January 20, 2014 1:17 p.m.

Great list. I might have put the Walking Dead on the list, though. Almost every decision I had to make made me feel like a pile of shit. Having to decide who gets food when there is not enough for everyone, choosing whether or not to let a suicidal person have their way, deciding who should be the one to kill a dying member of the group before they turn undead....all shitty decisions and no right answer. You feel like an awful person playing the game and it's great.....
  • Moondoggie1157 - January 20, 2014 1:46 p.m.

Carley :( I tried so hard...
  • JohnDagger - January 20, 2014 2 p.m.

That was the only time in the series that I hard shut down my computer to try and redo the scenario, I thought I had made the wrong choice of dialogue, maybe I could saver her. But it was too late....and I felt like it was all my fault for months. Devastating game.