We Recommend

• shawksta - October 2, 2013 3:52 p.m.

I dont care what people think, Garbodor is my childhood dream come true. You cant kill my dream no matter what. and frankly Muk should be on this list. Speaking of which, granbull and Snubbul being called the "Fairy" pokemon makes it seen obvious it should be half fairy now, though its weird it hasnt been confirmed. Luvdisk is literally useless
  • BladedFalcon - October 2, 2013 3:57 p.m.

My problem with Garbodor isn't so much that he's made of trash, that in itself I actually think it's cool. What really turns me off about him are those stupid mickey mouse ears, they really feel out of place for me XD
  • shawksta - October 2, 2013 6:42 p.m.

Yeah they do look stupid, but ive grown into him so much that without the Ears he just wouldnt be the same 0_0
  • BladedFalcon - October 2, 2013 8:02 p.m.

Lol, fair enough XD
  • Frieza - October 2, 2013 3:48 p.m.

Why the heck isn't Beartic on this list? You guys complain about a Pokémon looking more like a cartoon than an actual Pokémon more than once on this list, and yet Bearic is the most cartoony of all of them! I mean look at it! It looks like it belongs on a Saturday Morning Cartoon rather than a Pokémon game. Just look t it's eyes, it's head, it's proportions... I can't be the only one who sees it. And what about Sawk and Throh? I mean seriously, they look like they're puppets from Sesame Street rather than Pokémon. Maybe they USED to live on Sesame Street, but they were kicked out for being too violent? And since they were unemployed, they got a job in the Pokémon universe?... @2: Spot on with Dedenne. This trope of the electric rodent has got to stop. It's so old and unappealing at this point. While I don't have a big problem with Dedenne itself (even though it looks like Pikachu and Raichu used the Potara Earings to bring it into existence), the trope needs to die. At least for a couple generations. And when it returns, actually make the Pokémon useful... Or at least evolve... @5: I always thought Dewgong resembled more like a real life animal than Seel. @6: I would love to know what GF was thinking when the made Luvdisc. Usually weak Pokémon have a special gimmick like Delibird's present move or Magikarp evolving into Gyrados but... Luvdisc is just worthless. Plain and simple. There's no reason for why it exists. Just none... @7: Well, Bunnelby looks a lot better than half of Gen V, even if he does look more like a cartoon. Although he can't compare to Sentret and Furret! @8: Having played Pokémon since Gen I, I have never EVER noticed Stantler's antlers looking like evil eyes! How the heck did I miss that!? @9: The thing that rubs me the wrong way with Gurdurr is the question of how he got that I-beam he always carries. Isn't that a man-made product? How the heck did he get it in the wild? Did he steal it from a construction site? Did the piece of wood he carried somehow evolve as well? Other Pokémon have this problem as well, most notably Hitmonchan. But you couldn't find Hitmonchan in the wild, and could only get him through the Dojo. So maybe he got them there... But then there's the subject of Machoke and Machamp, who have the power belts. I would say their trainers give them the belts, but you can find Machoke in the wild... Where did he get the belt? Hmm... @11: He may not be well designed, but Cofagrigus kicks ass competitively! That fact alone has made me warm up to him a little... @12: Smashing! @13: To be fair, Fearow is actually stronger than Pidgeot in the competitive scene. At least from my experience. Although Pidgeot kicks major ass. Not competitively, but in general. @15: I'm sure that Druddigon was made by one of the designer's kids, and was put into the game because he wanted to make his kid feel special. @16: Oh Exeggutor... Can someone explain to me why its part psychic? I just don't see it... @17: ...Why? Why ice cream? Just why? Out of all the things you can draw inspiration from, why ICE CREAM!? I mean, I guess it could have been cool if they weren't so LAZY about the design! I mean, making it look exactly like an ice cream cone?... Which came first: the dessert or the Pokémon? @18: "We have the feeling that Quagsire would fit in better on a Saturday morning cartoon than as a competitor in the violent world of Pokémon." He could be best friends with Beartic in their very own cartoon show! @20: KILL IT WITH FIRE!!!!! KILL IT!!!! "Um, actually, Poison isn't weak to fire. You should use Psychic or Ground moves to take down a Poison type Pokémon!" ... KILL IT WITH PSYCHIC!!! @21: I have a theory regarding Voltorb. I think that it's actually a Gastly possessing a Poke Ball, since both are round Pokémon and Lavender Town is near the Power Plant... Anyway, good list. Thankfully Gen VI is looking a lot better than Gen V, so I hope we won't be seeing many more Pokémon added to this list!
  • JarkayColt - October 2, 2013 4:02 p.m.

Actually, the reason why Luvdisc exists, or rather, Luvdisc's gimmick, is that it was the primary way to obtain Heart Scales. In other words, Luvdisc served to provide Heart Scales. This role is made slightly redundant in future generations because there are more ways to obtain them now, but in Gen III, you had to farm them from Luvdisc.
  • Frieza - October 2, 2013 4:12 p.m.

Really? That's interesting. I completely forgot that Heart Scales existed in Gen III. It's probably because I never touched the Pokémon that I never knew it was used for that purpose.
  • Frieza - October 2, 2013 4:08 p.m.

Oh, and here are a few other Pokémon that could make this list: Weedle: He's a worm with a horn on his head. That's it. Golbat: While this line holds a dear place in my heart, Golbat is a strange Pokémon. I mean look at it: 90% of it's body is its mouth. Where does it's organs go? Bellsprout: He's a... plant... flower... thing... and while I'm talking about flowers... Sunflora: It's a sunflower. Actually, it's less impressive than a sunflower. Sunflowers are tall. Sunflora isn't. Unown: They're letters. That's it. And they're worthless in battle. Patrat: This Pokémon... Is just not fun. Not a good follow up to one of the greatest Pokémon of all time, Bidoof.
  • Jake Magee - October 2, 2013 5:08 p.m.

Hey, thanks for your insight! Glad we're (mostly) on the same page.
  • JarkayColt - October 2, 2013 3:17 p.m.

Hmm. Not sure what to think of this list. There's a difference between a design being 'lazy' and one that's 'nonsensical'. Personally, I would not have put Gurrdurr, Vullaby, Probopass, Fearow, Druddigon, Exeggutor, Quagsire or Garbodor on this list because the issue isn't really with laziness/generic design. Also, I would have replaced Luvdisc with Alomomola, because whilst having one heart-shaped fish is fine, two is not, so Alomomola is the one at fault. I would have thought more Pokémon like Dugtrio, such as Electrode, Weezing, Muk, Magneton etc that are just bigger/multiple versions of the previous things are the least inspired. Gen one had so many stinkers in hindsight (even Gastly->Haunter-> Gengar is pretty uninspired). Also, don't forget Marill when you're talking about Pikachu clones. It was even called Pikablu for a time.
  • winner2 - October 2, 2013 2:58 p.m.

Can y'all update this after x/y? I think Stantler takes the cake for me here, but talonflame or whatever the fuck might give it competition. I do like quagasire's derp face though.
  • Frieza - October 2, 2013 3:50 p.m.

What's wrong with Talonflame? I think it looks pretty cool.
  • winner2 - October 2, 2013 3:52 p.m.

Well when I look at it, I just see an animated cardinal/falcon hybrid with a striped tail sadly
  • Frieza - October 2, 2013 4:15 p.m.

Fair enough. I can see where you're coming from. Not everyone can like every design, I suppose. A difference in taste. That's what makes this world so magnificent.
  • BladedFalcon - October 2, 2013 3:56 p.m.

Hey, no frontin' on my favorite new Pokemon so far! :P Just because it might look a lot like a real animal doesn't automatically become a lazy design, specially when the details that DO change are aesthetically sound, like those bad-ass flames.
  • GOD - October 2, 2013 2:55 p.m.

I agree with half of these. The other half seem to reaching..... Gurdurr for instance is perfectly fine and only lacks a better name. Meanwhile Ekans is just a normal snake with it's name as "snake" backwards. At least Seel has an added horn and is clearly named after the Singer not the animal. :P
  • duffer00 - October 2, 2013 2:47 p.m.

Freaking vanillish.
  • shawksta - October 8, 2013 10:18 a.m.

As said with Pokemon varying, to each their own. Some pokemon can be used to their extent to a certain degree, as long as they stay in their respective tiers. Dunsparce for example is one of the best Paraflincher's who abuses his Serene Grace ability. Just Paralyze the Foe, then headbutt them to oblvion to which they have a %60 of flinching, if not, being paralyzed and cant hit you. Its a troll tactic >:D Lets hope he does get that Mega, he has his own item which happens to be a stick, and it boosts his critical hit ratio but his defence is too mediocre that he wouldnt survive enough without a Focus Sash.