We Recommend

• Cyberninja - March 3, 2009 10:35 p.m.

I will tell bioware to make this as soon as possiable reCAPTCHA: Dessaur tonians
  • Tasty_Pasta - March 3, 2009 10:20 p.m.

Ha, that was awesome! 1, 7, 8, 15, 23, and 30 are especially true.
  • animeman - March 3, 2009 10:18 p.m.

That would be the best game ever in history of all time.
  • GamesRadarCharlieBarratt - March 3, 2009 9:49 p.m.

That beer picture is so creepy.
  • that guy - March 3, 2009 9:27 p.m.

ha!!!! first good article
  • secretsearcher - August 23, 2009 8:40 p.m.

I don't know why, but for some reason I burst out laughing when I read "Chapter three: The World Sucks." That was hilarious :D. And I'd like to point out that Baten Kaitos and Golden Sun do NOT follow these guidelines, yet are still really good RPGs.
  • sneekysneeky - August 15, 2009 6:21 a.m.

XD Jade empire follows this to the letter
  • triforcerpgfreek - May 20, 2009 12:48 a.m.

I'm glad bethsda doesn't follow the formula either
  • SBaby - April 27, 2009 1:17 a.m.

Here's a few they missed from the list. Evil May Live Forever, But It Doesn't Age Well Even though it took the greatest armies in the world and all of the world's greatest magicians to seal away an ancient evil in an apocalyptic war, once said ancient evil breaks free three fairly inexperienced warriors can destroy it. World of Mild Inconvenience The devastating plague, noxious gas, planet-obliterating meteor or other large-scale disaster that led to the death of millions will affect your party (and your party's friends and family members) in no way whatsoever, save that a few party members may become lost and you can find them later.
  • Blade1006 - March 11, 2009 7:55 p.m.

Fortunately "The World Ends With You" does not follow this formula!
  • Gsindahouse - March 9, 2009 8:47 p.m.

You know what, I WISH 29 was always used, but unfortunately, Tales of Symphonia and the first Baten Kaitos game LACKS THAT KIND OF PRINCIPLE!!! and were the MML games RPGs?
  • GamesRadarPaulRyan - March 9, 2009 6:40 p.m.

ouch, I wouldn't say they're identical. There are quite a few lists of RPG (JRPG) cliches floating around the internet, but I did my best to make mine its own. They are, of course, cliches so I'm sure some of them are in every single list, but the 30 points I picked were all things we thought of independently.
  • Concerned - March 8, 2009 10:23 p.m.

This is a very clever article, Mr Ryan. But isn't it common journalistic practice to cite your sources? The following link is nearly identical to your list, and greatly predates your article. http://project-apollo.net/text/rpg.html Clarification on this subject is appreciated.
  • BENDER19931 - March 8, 2009 11:01 a.m.

wat game is the picture in rule 8
  • nuno004 - March 7, 2009 11:42 p.m.

Now I know how to help my braindead friends how to manuevor through an RPG thanks gamesradar
  • JohnnyMaverik - March 6, 2009 3:59 a.m.

Lol, great article. I love RPG's, but i dont know why. "Don't know what to say other than it was a good read. It made no sense at all, but still wanted me to finish the article... Weird" Well thinking about it i got to the end of page 3, and thought, well this is almost fun, not as good as page one or two but still fun, but there again it's nearly 4am, i have to get up at 10am, i should really sleep. Although i'm over half way now, so i might aswell finish it all, yea that seems like a rational descision... and thats an RPG game. Well ok it isn't, its an article about RPG games, but you get my drift.
  • Spybreak8 - March 6, 2009 2:29 a.m.

Ahahahaha soooooo true!
  • hacman12 - March 6, 2009 1:40 a.m.

...creepy how good he is isn't it
  • VeggieBurger - March 5, 2009 1:20 p.m.

If only this article was about actual RPGs not the interactive storybooks that are JRPGs.
  • EdHas503 - March 5, 2009 5:01 a.m.

its funny cause its true