We Recommend

• xyonnailo - March 22, 2014 3:49 p.m.

I like how your team can't get views straight. One article on "The top XX over-rated games" or characters or what have you, then the "Top XX games you need to play" listing most of the ones you bash, lol. I wonder if anyone takes these seriously, lol. More like Gaming satire, thanks for the laugh though.
  • Divine Paladin - March 22, 2014 11:34 a.m.

I call shit that FFVII "almost singlehandedly" led to the PS1's success. That console was the brainchild of excellent marketing, good games, and a low price - no one game can claim more than slight esponsibility on the PS1
  • debiate5 - April 24, 2013 10:38 p.m.

No Wasteland? No System Shock? No Thief?! No Wolfenstien?! What in the actual fuck?!
  • Radiguet - April 23, 2013 2:32 p.m.

I totally disagree about League of Legends. Without Dota, and consequently Aeon of Strife, LoL would be nothing.
  • moko-loko - March 23, 2014 12:15 p.m.

you know how wrong you sound right now? take "Doom" for example... "Doom" was one of the first fps games and was the first to use the term "deathmatch." Would you go around saying that oh that fps game "________" would not have existed without "Doom?" League of Legends is a MOBA and so is Defense of the Ancients one of the first of its kind. Plus LoL is incomparably more "important" to gaming since it brought PvP to another level and made professional gamers into, sort of, athletes. (They can live in the country they are competing in, up to 5 years.) And is recognized world wide.
  • talavar - March 31, 2014 7:11 a.m.

League of legends was based SOLEY off the AOF foundations that came before it. DOTA!! So yes, you can lliterally say there would be no LoL without Dota.. Everyone knows this.. It's common knowledge 0.o
  • JimmyP91 - April 23, 2013 4:23 a.m.

Really solid list. It took me a while to click on this list because things like this are tailored made to make people angry but you guys did a really solid job. I'd say the only major complaint (and someone went into great detail explaining why below) is the lack of CRPG presence. CRPG's may not have been as successful as some JRPG's and certainly not as successful as games in other genres but they are incredibly influential. While Baldur's Gate probably deserves a spot on this list as well,the only massive hole in this list is a lack of Ultima. I don't care what you say, Ultima did it first and Ultima did it in far more detail. To this day I have not seen an RPG as expansive and open as any game in the Ultima franchise. You were literally free to do whatever you wanted and the game punished/rewarded you accordingly. Your choices mattered and you were free to do whatever you liked. Ultima 4-7 are easily the most influential western RPG's of all time and Ultima 4 came a year before the 1st Zelda. Skyrim might owe a lot to Zelda for popularizing fantasy adventure but it owes everything else to Ultima. Plus Ultima Online came out 2 years before Everquest and it's stilll going as well. Heck there was a time when it was winning the MMORPG war though Everquest definitely won in the long run.
  • AshesOfTheWake - April 21, 2013 11:04 p.m.

I think Battlefield 1942 deserves a place on this list. Arguably one of the best online multiplayer games of all time.
  • isaiahtheawesome - April 21, 2013 12:05 a.m.

were is mass effect? yes the ending was choppy at best, but it expanded the make your own decisions type of gameplay to new proportions and was one of the best games in which we actually built realtionships with characters,
  • JimmyP91 - April 23, 2013 3:49 a.m.

Had ME cracked the bottom of this list I wouldn't have complained but it wasn't the first. Bioware has been making games like that since the 90s. In terms of relationship building and choices affecting plot, it's a near clone of Knights of the Old Republic which came out like 10 years ago. Had they actually followed through on their promise of an ending based entirely on choices made throughout all 3 games then yeah I'd definitely see it making this list and high too but as it is Mass Effect isn't revolutionary though it is extremely good.
  • squat_and_rot - April 20, 2013 11:45 a.m.

Whenever I see a list like this, I just think it must have been a slow news day in the world of videogames.
  • lordgodalming - April 20, 2013 3:06 a.m.

I do not typically toss any comments into these types of articles--just read them for the enjoyable opinions that they are and move on. However, it seems odd that you describe two games, Quake and Doom, as owing their entire existence to Wolfenstein 3D, and then DO NOT INCLUDE WOLFENSTEIN 3D IN THE LIST. I am confused now.
  • Liqvid - April 19, 2013 11:57 a.m.

Where is Counter-Strike?? Even after all these years, right now it is the #4 game by current player count on Steam.
  • heidi5795 - April 18, 2013 7:08 p.m.

While I understand Pacman at #12 isn't exactly an insult, it's far too low on the list. As an older gamer who remembers the arcade release of pacman, it's impact was larger than many younger gamers can imagine. It was simply huge!! I remember it making our local news on TV plus national TV...something I had never seen before. The money it generated and number of people it brought to the arcade was incredible (including girls) which was a big surprise back then. I remember arcades having multiple machines lined up together....something I had never seen before. It brought friends and girlfriends to the arcade that had no interest in arcades before that time. Arcades doubled their money overnight after installing pacman machines. It has sold hundreds of different merchandise items over the years. Heck, you can still find pacman items in stores today. I saw a pacman energy drink and pacman candy (shaped like an arcade machine) just the other day at a local store...33 years after it's release! It spawned other arcade games like Ms. Pacman, which many consider the greatest "arcade" game ever made. Ask anyone on the street (age 70 years or younger) to name a video game, and I guarantee pacman will be the highest response. Watch any 1980's nostalgia look back show and I guarantee pacman will make an appearance. Most people see an image of pacman and remember back to an entire decade. It was everywhere. While I can understand younger people have their favorite games from each generation, I can honesty say, after 30+ years of gaming, I have never seen any game reach heights higher then pacman. If you were there in 1980, there was pacman and then everything else. 100 years from now, pacman will be remembered in history...others rated above it will not...it's in the Smithsonian in Washington DC. . #12 on the list is simply too low in terms of it's historical importance. Just for the record, the song "Pacman Fever" reached #9 on the billboard top 100, not #8.
  • ObliqueZombie - April 18, 2013 6:12 p.m.

Great list, can't argue with any of them. Seeing that old screenshot of Runescape brings back such wonderful pangs of nostalgia that I almost burst. As crappy as the game was (is?), that was a large chunk of my childhood. Hell, now I HAVE to check it out again.
  • Dropship11 - April 18, 2013 11:53 a.m.

It would have made sense for them to include Shadowgate 64 Trials of the Four Towers. It really created a new age for navigating a world, and proceding with objects found in your environment. Th puzzles were dificult, yet made complete sense and worked with the story well. We wouldnt have great puzzle solving adventure games like Amnesia without it. (I use Amnesia because it seem like The Dark Descent pulled MANY things from Shadowgate in gameplay mechanics and environment interraction. NOT NESCESARILY A BAD THING! I'm just saying.)
  • sukerman - April 18, 2013 1:58 a.m.

It should be noted that Quake spawned the 3D graphics card add-on industry such as 3dfx which suddenly made Quake sliky at what were then crazy high resolutions normally only possible with monster machines.