We Recommend

• BladedFalcon - June 19, 2013 4:22 p.m.

...Is this article being sarcastic or not? I can't tell ._. Either way, personally, I don't mind at all losing every single of these "great" features. Specially because that last one is nothing but pure speculation on you guys part. There was absolutely no guarantee that Digital prices would become cheaper like in steam. You people keep making that comparison, yet that's super flawed because steam is a service with TON of competitors on the PC market, which is what compels them to create those offers. Look at one of said competitors for example, EA's Origin. You see great price drops there? NOPE. And again, this is in a market with competition. Micrososft ruling supreme in their own console would have no competition, and no reason whatsoever to make steam-like offers. Think a little guys, please.
  • Mr.YumYums - June 20, 2013 9:09 a.m.

A few features that I do mourn are the digital library and the interesting "cloud power" system and servers. I know people would just be drawn to say "better graphics does not equal a better game", which I do agree on. What I would like people to understand is that better and more powerful hardware indeed DOES equal a better game, not only on a graphical stand point but the game overall. Bigger games, with bigger maps. More realized and believable AI fighting or aiding you in game. Attention to detail would skyrocket making the ambient and the overall feel of the game to be closer to the Devs vision. All of this, i feel, would have been possible with the cloud powered system of servers aiding your Xbox One, Microsoft doing all of the processing power. I do agree some of the things Microsoft brought to the table were not my cup of tea, but man did you guys missed out on some amazing potential. But to each his/her own, I'll stick with PC.
  • BladedFalcon - June 20, 2013 11:21 a.m.

Potential that you have no idea if it would have worked. Yeah, cloud computing sounds kinda cool, but have we actually seen it work yet? Remember, the thing with a lot of untested technologies, specially in gaming, is that while they might sound cool in paper, translating into actual better gaming is very different and difficult. Remember how everyone thought the wii and motion controls would revolutionize and change gaming forever and for the better? Yeeeeeah, look where that got us.... The same goes with cloud computing, specially when you had reports from people saying that MS did NOT have the infrastructure necessary to make that work. So even if everything had stayed the same, there's a chance that would have never come trough. and if it had, we have no idea if it would have worked as promised. So yeah... Sorry, but i don't think consumer rights were worth sacrificing in favor of something that may or may not have been cool.
  • Mr.YumYums - June 20, 2013 11:29 a.m.

So much for innovation and actually trying it then. This is the overall thought process I'm getting from reading most comments, and if people are shooting down the idea before even trying it then, oh well. I just wish consoles weren't the money makers, if devs focused more on games for PCs then with be lightyears away. But that's for some other time. I guess, like I said, I'll stick to PC. (Something that is shunned upon around this website for some reason)
  • BladedFalcon - June 20, 2013 11:37 a.m.

If that innovation comes with screwing people over, then yeah, why the fuck bother? innovation for innovation's sake is stupid.
  • Mr.YumYums - June 20, 2013 11:56 a.m.

But it's not innovation for innovation's sake. How is getting something close to PC gaming with a console price tag not GOOD innovation. How is getting better maps, AI, overall games not GOOD innovation? Yeah it might come with some restrictions, requiring an internet connection being one of them but saying that it's innovation for innovation's sake is just plain ridiculous. It's to make better games, which apparently it is not a good thing for you. An some of these features can be added without the DRM policies.
  • BladedFalcon - June 20, 2013 1:45 p.m.

Technically, both consoles are already closer to what a PC is with a much more accessible price tag, but with, y'know, less restrictions and more versatility in how to get your games. And again, you're working with a faulty argument here. You don't KNOW for sure that it would have resulted in better games, you're assuming it would, but again, I can point you to dozens of gaming innovations that were supposed to result in "better games" which ended up being a disaster. And yes, you just said it yourself, a lot of those features could STILL be used without the DRM policies, so THAT would be MS's fault, not ours. Because, see, that's the thing: I think it's safe to say that most gamers are fine with innovation AS LONG as you don't shove it down or throats, or force us into it. And that's why MS's approach was super shitty, because, yes, they wanted to innovate in some stuff, they wanted it to happen in their own terms, and screw whatever the consumer wanted. You keep bringing up PC gaming, and there's a perfect example of how that's done right, but also if you know PC gaming history, you know that reaching the point where PC gaming is with digital distribution didn't happen overnight, certainly not in the way MS pretended to make it happen with the Xbone. I could go on more about that, but here, this article explains it in better detail and in a more understandable way than I ever could: http://www.destructoid.com/an-industry-that-needs-xbox-one-drm-is-a-failed-industry-256643.phtml
  • Talvari - June 19, 2013 4:16 p.m.

Defo some cool features going down the toilet. But gotta give them kudos for at least listening to feedback. Discs being needed in the console still isn't that big of a loss honestly. Just more of a convenience thing. Now all they need to do is sell it without the kinect being forced and maybe the price will be more reasonable.. :|
  • robinkurosaki - June 19, 2013 5:07 p.m.

see if there isnt much in it so like £30 it wont be so bad, i dont think the price will change specially not now as they have ultimately done what the world except them wanted. although if they did price the console as the same as the ps4 and priced the camera the same, that would prove to be really exciting, a level pegging battle (in theory, apart from all this pr and jazz). infact i think they could make it interesting by keeping the cam and dropping the price to £400 then it basically equals the price of the ps4 with cam. thats more likely.
  • winner2 - June 19, 2013 4:12 p.m.

You know, if we all got together in a big, comfy, well air conditioned room to talk about this, saying "gonna grab some popcorn don't start arguing yet" might actually make more sense. I'll definitely miss the digital library though, that's such a nice thing to have. And the price drops on steam are very similar to godly. Demi-godly. That'd be nice to have as well.
  • BladedFalcon - June 19, 2013 4:24 p.m.

Stop dreaming, you would have never gotten those price drops on the MS store.
  • winner2 - June 19, 2013 4:27 p.m.

Stop dreaming? You are way too serious a person. I don't think you dream enough.
  • BladedFalcon - June 19, 2013 4:30 p.m.

Yes, I'm a super serious person. So serious, that I totally meant the "stop dreaming" part as a general statement over whether you should dream overal or not. Yup, ultra serious, look at my perpetual frown >:|
  • winner2 - June 19, 2013 4:33 p.m.

Dat frown! I very much want to incorporate a "turn it upside down" kind of rhyme/lyric, but it's just not happening today.
  • BladedFalcon - June 19, 2013 4:54 p.m.

Heh, too tired/angry to get those creative juices flowing? XD
  • McEd - June 19, 2013 5:30 p.m.

Steam sales have spoiled be or shown me what "on sale" really means. MS still charges a lot for virtual.
  • someonetgsn - June 19, 2013 6:06 p.m.

|:< I turned your frown upside down. It is still a frown. You are right, your frown is irreversible. (0_o)
  • BladedFalcon - June 19, 2013 6:24 p.m.

It's called a perpetual frown for a reason >:| It's as unmovable as Marvel's favorite fat mutant: The Blob.