Topics

editorial

We Recommend

• gdawg94 - October 31, 2013 6:02 p.m.

Okay, all humor aside (it was funny), let's be honest. Implementing this kind of stuff probably doesn't really cost all that much in terms of budget. In fact, this would probably even be something an engineer did while they were taking a break from solving a more serious problem. Code-wise, the programming behind it isn't that difficult once one creature is made. Most AI behavior is rehashes of other AI behavior. Especially because I bet that the turtle AI isn't going to be presented at a TED talk anytime soon on how it perfectly mimics the intelligence of which is a goddamn turtle. Most of the code is probably copy-pasta from other pieces of code. As for graphics, you have much longer to work on graphics. Code requires recompilation and retesting over and over. Graphics can be added as you go and improved as you go without recompilation and retesting. There is allocated time for just testing code for months. That's months that you could either be A) drawing more graphics or improving animations or B) start working on DLC. So there's a good chance either the code for the turtle was done before the programming was or vice versa. And as for writing the entry...seriously? Do I even have to say how pathetically minuscule that task is? It probably took as long as a copy and paste takes from a science article. I bet any programmer or artist working on a triple A game would be delighted to copy and paste a few descriptions in to the code for a break from working on actual tasks. So, all in all, do I feel like having a goddamn turtle is what ruins AAA games by inflating their budget? No. No I do not blame the innocent goddamn turtle.
  • GOD - October 30, 2013 12:21 p.m.

So what your saying is that this turtle description was excessive because it didn't enhance your experience?.... So then they need to further implement these details into the very essence of the turtle creating a deeper, more natural turtle AI to the point where if two turtles are to encounter each other they would lead to eggs, and then these eggs would be buried, hatch, and you'd be able to watch the baby turtles grow both in AI intelligence and size in real time for however long you watch them due to them each having an internal clock that directs their new, truly immersive turtle AI. ...Or did you mean something else?
  • Eightboll812 - October 30, 2013 1:10 p.m.

I think he is just saying that all the work that went into the turtle costs money, and that the turtle isn't important. Therefore, a AAA budget could have cut the cost of the turtle and still released a product that was just fine.
  • TechnoAnimeGamer - October 31, 2013 11:51 a.m.

When you play a game like Assassins Creed IV, your first instinct isn't going to be "omg I can't wait to read the animus data on turtles!" I'm pretty sure nobody is thinking that...ever...so it's just unnecessary to have. He doesn't want more from it, he's just saying that all the money put into making turtles, could have been put into something that actually enhances our experience with the game, like making a new weapon or NPC instead.
  • t_skwerl - October 30, 2013 10:42 a.m.

Padding. I really hate padding. No, not pudding. Padding. I own every Batman: Arkham game and I enjoyed all three of them. But, how much more time have I spent running around trying to collect goddamn trophies? Don't get me wrong, I love The Riddler as a character and I think that the games are more fun with his presence and some riddles. But, did I want to run around tearing my hair out trying to get 200 datapacks? No. And that's just Origins. Nevermind the ******* challenges. For an alternate outfit. Woopie. Yeah. Padding needs to go.
  • udUbdaWgz - October 30, 2013 11:18 a.m.

that's why playing organically is the way to get the most out of your gameplay. go back LATER to get all the riddles and collectibles if it ruins your gameplay enjoyment at that particular time. frustration due to the outfit "reward?" enjoy the moment. gameplay doesn't need to have a reward. the "padding" of arkham city is what made the game so great. i hate combo fighting games due to their ridiculousness, boredom and faulty combo gameplay (camera, d-pad, etc.), yet, ark city is a great game because of the extra immersive gameplay.
  • udUbdaWgz - October 30, 2013 7:51 a.m.

what's killing gaming? it's simple: a lack of difficult, immersive, complex, customizable and innovative gameplay. obviously, this means developers are wasting our time by concentrating on peripheral fluff and meaningless game components. gta and tlou are perfect examples of games that succumb to this issue and, therefore, fail.
  • Kleer - November 13, 2013 11:15 p.m.

This has to be a Troll, GTA and The Last of Us are no where near failures as games...
  • udUbdaWgz - November 14, 2013 6:30 a.m.

i see you are another person who fails to understand what a "troll" is. i make my point very simple and clear and not to cause controversy or spark a fight. as well, the gameplay of tlou is very mediocre and the "stealth" is a joke. gta4 and 5 have some of the most redundant and repetitive been there, done that gameplay in gaming. btw, learn to think critically and comprehend text: i gave you my specific list and and, therefore, my actual definition of fail and your attempt of defining my use of fail is a failure.
  • winner2 - October 30, 2013 5:40 a.m.

Why'd you kill that turtle? Why? You're a horrible person Coop, even if it was a goddamn turtle.
  • the-odore-valenzuela-abaga - October 30, 2013 2:11 a.m.

What does the turtle says??!
  • larkan - October 29, 2013 11:54 p.m.

Turtles>Spiders Spiderman>Turtles Peter Parker=Spiderman Hollander Cooper=Horrible Peter Parker lookalike Goddamn Turtles
  • dangomushi - October 29, 2013 10:16 p.m.

i like turtles
  • arianabiscuit - October 29, 2013 10:03 p.m.

About to write an exam and all I can think of is "Goddamn turtle."
  • LordZarlon - October 29, 2013 5:40 p.m.

At the end of the day gaming isn't going anywhere. Publishers need to realize that you have to expect realistic sales for your products. If 4 million units sold isn't good enough then what is? Only Call of Duty and few Nintendo titles sell in to the tens of millions on a consistent basis. Even Halo doesn't sell as much as these.
  • brickman409 - October 29, 2013 5:30 p.m.

*In Sean Connery voice* That's for blasphemy.
  • Eightboll812 - October 29, 2013 3:09 p.m.

Along with some of the comments below, it is the corporate nature of the gaming industry. Back in the good old days, you made a business plan for how the game would make a profit, and then you made the game. Now you have publicly traded companies that have to show profit AND growth, and they you quickly see how it can spin out of control. Instead of simple games, you have franchises. And you have to keep adding franchises, and they have to keep making larger and larger profits. If you don't do both, wallstreet considers you a failure and you are punished with lower stock prices. And the thing I've noticed is that I'm not just budget limited on what I can spend on gaming, I'm also time limited. The latter is more of a new phenomenon for me. As games have gotten larger and larger (e.g. Fallout 3), they take me longer to complete, and so I don't buy as many games because I'm backlogged as it is. It takes something like TLoU where it has rave reviews to get my interest. Otherwise, I don't have time, much less money to go get Tomb Raider. So you get bigger, longer lasting games, and you have more of them on a AAA budget. No wonder some companies are finding they can't justify the budget for the game and call 160 million in revenue a "failure". There really needs to be a shakedown on the gaming industry, and I think that is actually already happening. Expectations and budgets need to be reset. Expecting gamers to come up with even MORE money to spend when gaming is already bigger than the movie industry would be patently absurd.
  • Slayer11496 - October 29, 2013 2:49 p.m.

This article is that great mix of comedy and a valid point.
  • ParagonT - October 29, 2013 2:35 p.m.

I had to log in just to say this: Goddamn turtles.
  • masterjoe123 - October 29, 2013 1:44 p.m.

The problem is that there are too many AAA games. The market simply isn't big enough for everything.