Topics

Gear

We Recommend

• icbacomingupwithapropername - November 23, 2012 7:53 a.m.

personally I would recommend the Microsoft sidewinder x4, a back light is a must for me and that is a pretty good cheap keyboard.
  • Axcleblade - March 27, 2013 1:21 p.m.

Seconding this, I'm using one of those right now and its great. No mechanical switches, but it does the job.
  • yasmarc - March 28, 2013 2:58 p.m.

Thirded. This keyboard goes on sale often for ~$40 can't be beat at that price. Has the backlight, 6 programmable macro keys that can swap between 3 settings (for 18 macros) and has one of the best anti-ghosting (key rollover) builds around. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16823109191 Check out the reviews if you're interested, only downside I've found is a small "esc" key that took some getting used to.
  • StrayGator - November 23, 2012 3:09 a.m.

My "Gaming brand" recommendation would be CoolerMaster's Quickfire series. They're available in many layouts, all 4 major Cherry MX switch types, full nKRO on PS/2 (6KRO on USB) and build quality on par with their "executive" counterparts. Rapoo have a new model with knockoff "Yellow" switches (soft linear, not unlike reds). the typing feel and ruggedness are mostly there (can't comment on durability), and it costs around 40$.
  • nokeisoka - November 23, 2012 1:05 a.m.

I dislike extra keys and use mechanical keyboards. That said the steel series 6g v2 is my favorite keyboard so far. They changed the left windows key into a function key that when held switches f keys into multimedia keys and prevents start menu popping for those who use windows.
  • nokeisoka - November 23, 2012 1:10 a.m.

Also apparently is 70 dollars down from 100 currently for NA so cheap for a mechanical keyboard.
  • GamesRadarBrianKim - November 23, 2012 1:42 a.m.

It sounds like you might like a Filco. They're a little pricey, but they're available in a ton of variations.
  • nokeisoka - November 25, 2012 3:04 p.m.

Oh I would but they can be so hard to find.
  • GR_RyanTaljonick - November 23, 2012 11:36 a.m.

I had a 7g for awhile, but the black switches were SUPER resistant, I couldn't get into it. To each their own, though!