Topics

Best

We Recommend

• Darkhawk - February 19, 2013 4:35 p.m.

This is so ridiculous. You can't possibly declare something the "X Best Of All Time" the day it's released. It's bad enough when a new release tops an "All-time best" feature the year it comes out, but this is just ridiculous. Hey, GR, why don't you put it back in your pants and wait a couple years before dropping Revengeance in here?
  • awesomesauce - February 19, 2013 8:48 p.m.

Why? Something doesn't have to age to be great
  • freeden - February 19, 2013 3:56 p.m.

My problems with MGS2 go beyond the troll that was having players play as pretty boy Raiden. The entire game was more convoluted than typical MGS fashion. It attempted to create emotional impact, but over stepped it by giving us a main character who whined too much and was embroiled in personal conflicts over the conflicts at hand. Gone were the philosophical musings of the original MGS. In it's place was an unnecessarily over-complex plot. It quickly explains the cliffhanger of MGS to get it out of the way and presents a new plot that essentially has very little to do with the overall story. Only the very end, the next cliffhanger, really had anything to do with the overall story arc of Metal Gear. MGS3 essentially negates anything MGS 2 might have to do with the series, with the exception of Raiden as a continued character. Certainly, in the long run, details matter, but overall, this is an inconsequential chapter in the series that really has no place. Other than that, decent list, although I've not really played a lot of the non-canon games like Acid and Ghost Babel. My list would probably look like this: 1. MGS4 2. MGS3 3. MGS 4. Peacewalker But, they all hold a special place with me and it's hard to really pick out a favorite. It's like picking a favorite child.
  • BladedFalcon - February 19, 2013 4:24 p.m.

It's probably not an easy game to get a hold off, but if you can, you really should give Ghost babel a try. It's a pretty fantastic game that felt like a true MGS game even though it was limited by the specs of a GB game.
  • dcobs123 - February 19, 2013 3:34 p.m.

MGS2 is behind Peace Walker, MGS4, and even Revengence?! I don't think so. Also Twin Snakes is a good game with nice graphics but is really no substitute for MGS1. MGS1 had better dialogue and music while Twin Snakes had ridiculous Matrix sequences and additional gameplay elements that were fun but sort of messed with a design of the original game.
  • BladedFalcon - February 19, 2013 4:27 p.m.

...You're complaining about the Matrix sequences in Twin Snakes, yet it seems like one of your favorite MGS games is MGS2 which is when the ridiculousness got ramped up to 1000... that makes sense.
  • dcobs123 - February 20, 2013 12:27 p.m.

Both MGS1 and MGS2 had varying levels of ridiculousness and they were made that way on purpose. MGS1 and TS are good games on their own merits but they are very different in direction and both should be on the list. To be honest I think that I just prefer MGS1 because it was the first version I played. Sorry if I offended TS fans.
  • BladedFalcon - February 20, 2013 2:59 p.m.

Don't worry, you didn't offend anyone, at least, not me. I also grew up with the first one, and i DO like the cinematics of that one better, but I also understand the decision to put TS as a replacement because, well, the essential soul of the game is STILL there, and it's a package that overall has aged way better. Again, I love the first MGS, but let's be real, dem polygons are shit ugly to look at now.
  • jackthemenace - September 15, 2012 2:43 p.m.

Before I even started reading, I knew exactly what the top 6 were going to be, although I didn't know what order. I'm so glad you chose Snake Eater as number 1, because, to me, that's always been the best in the series. It had the perfect balance between EVERYTHING, far surpassing MGS2, and somehow, MGS4 just didn't quite live up to it's predecessor. But, whichever one people argue's the best, there's no doubt the series as a whole has been absolutely brilliant,a nd I can't can't for it's next instalments.
  • sternparez - September 9, 2012 5:20 a.m.

Gameplay-wise I'd say MGS4 is the best for the sheer variety and the things you could do, but I didn't like the story, look, music, characters and "feel" as much. MGS1 and the Tanker of MGS2 had the best feel to me but MGS3 HD probably is the best as the gameplay is nearly as good as 4 but it has a better story, atmosphere and "feel". But is HAS to be played with the 3D camera
  • Fox_Mulder - September 7, 2012 7:14 a.m.

I don't care what anyone says, I still love MGS 2. It has the biggest mindf*** moments of any Metal Gear game, except maybe MGS 4.
  • SUCKxITxEZ - February 24, 2013 6:35 p.m.

As a fan of crazy anime like Guran Laggan, MGS2 is my favorite of the bunch. Love the rediculous plot, immense replay value, smoothest controls, and a great sense of humor. My first mgs was actually mgs4, but after playing that i tried mgs2 and didnt like it very much at first. After playing through mgs3 and mgs1 i gave mgs2 another shot and fell in love.
  • code_r - September 7, 2012 4:48 a.m.

MG MG2 MGS MGS2 MGS3 These are the good ones. The rest are either non canon embarassments or just plain awful trash posing as serious entries to a once great franchise.
  • gaseoussnake - September 7, 2012 6:15 a.m.

aww someone cant afford a psp. its ok
  • MetroidPrimeRib - September 7, 2012 10:06 a.m.

Don't be talking shit about Ghost Babel, the original Metal Gear games aren't even that good
  • rob619 - September 7, 2012 4:31 a.m.

Agree with number one without a doubt. Snake Eater is one of my favourite all time favourite game's and it would be hard for any Metal Gear to beat it. It has it all. Amazing gameplay, tight control system, wonderful jungle environment and gripping emotional storyline. Yeh in all the Metal Gear francise and the gaming God that is Mr Hideo Kojima behind it has and will continue to blow the gaming industry away especially with Ground Zeros.
  • shawksta - September 7, 2012 1:43 a.m.

Glad to see Ghost Babel got the credit it deserves, hope we get it soon on the 3DS's eshop
  • Godzillarex - September 6, 2012 9:18 p.m.

Great list! MGS3 really does strike the perfect balance. Although Peace Walker ranks higher for me, and in my opinion, Portable Ops should have been left out of this list. In all honesty, the abysmal Snake's Revenge is better than Portable Ops. Portable Ops has terrible controls, an awful camera, and levels that were designed specifically for the multiplayer experience, thereby making them ridiculously plain. Not to mention a story that is probably the most forgettable of the series. I'll admit it though, when I first played it, I desperately wanted to like it just because it was the first portable Metal Gear Solid. But try playing that game again and you'll see just how unplayable it truly is.
  • code_r - September 7, 2012 4:59 a.m.

Portable ops is an abomination. But then they didn't even list Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake....
  • Godzillarex - September 7, 2012 9:40 a.m.

Glad you agree code_r. MG2 was fantastic. I mean, it lay the groundwork for Metal Gear Solid. Following the girl to the bathroom, using your radar to find the person your rescuing, navigating a Nikita missile, and so many other moments were pulled and used in Metal Gear Solid.