Topics

Best

We Recommend

• BladedFalcon - September 6, 2012 3:57 p.m.

Hell yeah! And glad to see Ghost babel on the list! although really, I'd put it higher, that game was really fantastic. Also, I do agree that MGS3 is the best gameplay-wise, though I still prefer the first one, personally. The story in taht one is still by far the best, and even the gameplay on the PSX is outstanding to this day. Although, contrary to a lot of people here, I did like the twin snakes remake. The soul of the game is the same, and I'm pretty sure the voice acting isn't as terrible as they are whining it to be, specially if you go and compare it to the original. Also, complaining about over the top cutscenes in a MGS game is like complaining that there is platforming in a Mario game.
  • gilgamesh310 - September 6, 2012 5 p.m.

MGS 4 is the best gameplay wise. I think the story in the first is the best as well though. The voice actors phoned in their performances in Twin Snakes. As well as that Greg Eagles was replaced with a different voice actor for Gray Fox. The replacement was terrible. He had none of the emotion in his voice that Greg Eagles had. The music was also taken out of certain key scenes, like Sniper Wolf's death. This took away from them a lot. No other MGS game has Snake doing ridiculous stuff like surfing on a fucking missile while he aims at a hind midlfight with his own missile launcher. It's completely ridiculous and out of place. He's made out to be too superhuman. Some stuff like Ocelot twirling his guns was overexagerrated as well. I cringed through almost all the cutscenes.
  • bass88 - September 7, 2012 3:17 a.m.

Regarding the MGS1 cutscenes versus TS cutscenes, it's like this: one is like seeing a child play with robot toys (whilst making sound effects) from the other end of the room. While the other is like a child doing the same but insists on doing it in front of your face and shouting every sound effect. Both are rather silly but one is endearing while the other is really fucking annoying. Guess which is which. The TS cutscenes were directed by Ryuhei Kitamara, whose style has suited films like the awesome Versus and the enjoyable Godzilla: Final War. It grated on Azumi though. However, judging by The Midnight Meat Train, it seems as though he has calmed down a lot in visual presentation (still uses odd angles and stylized lighting). I wonder what does he think of the TS cutscenes now.
  • gilgamesh310 - September 7, 2012 7:41 a.m.

Completely agree.
  • archnite - September 6, 2012 3:36 p.m.

I absolutely love MGS4, I just beat it to 100% again for trophies even though I did the same years ago with no prize. The controls are just brilliantly deep and fluid, grafting the series controls in a shooter type play style made what I think is the best in the series. Plus all the pay=off. Otacon getting with Naomi, Raiden becoming a badass who can hold off a submarine, the final battle with Liquid/Ocelot, DRIVING REX AGAINST RAY.
  • azureguy - September 6, 2012 4:27 p.m.

I've been getting the Platinum trophy fopr MGS4 as well in a two week hardcore session. Surprisingly enough, it wasn't all that bad, and the cutscenes aren't that bad as everyone says - MGS2's conversations are more exhausting by comparison. It may not beat Snake Eater's boss fights, but a great game none the less ;)
  • RonnyLive19881 - September 6, 2012 3:35 p.m.

THANK YOU, every time I talk MGS with friends they put their fanboy hats on and hate on Twin Snakes and MGS3D... The Nintendo titles are the better versions. Twin Snakes has better gameplay and presentation and MGS3DS has over all better graphics(remade) and the awesome MGS4 control scheme. The are both the definitive versions and the best titles of the series Lol MGS4 and Ground Zero just need to make it to the WiiU!
  • ryanjohnson - September 6, 2012 2:51 p.m.

I will get shunned, I know, but I just played through 3 since I just got a PS3 and can finally play 4. I felt so frustrated (and I have Subsistence even). Constant changing of clothes breaks the fourth wall like CRAZY in a bad way. One accidental viewing in a world with no radar, so you just kinda have to peek and pray sometimes, leads to an instant 5 minutes of hiding, and I got so busy learning how to hide I never really mastered CQC, only to find it necessary in the last boss battle, and spent months practicing CQC trying to defeat the Boss. Add feeding yourself so your tummy doesn't attract the enemy, no direct healing at all....I got frustrated fast. I hope 4 fixed some of that. Gonna find out soon.
  • MetroidPrimeRib - September 6, 2012 2:08 p.m.

Ghost Babel is probably the greatest GBC game ever made.
  • BladedFalcon - September 6, 2012 5:26 p.m.

I second that, really.
  • DarthPunk - September 6, 2012 1:38 p.m.

I'd still say the original PSX version of MGS 1 is the best version of the game. The cutscenes in Twin Snakes are even by MGS tandards stupidly over the top and the addition of first person aiming arguably makes the gamme too easy
  • gilgamesh310 - September 6, 2012 2:16 p.m.

Yeah, I don't know what the hell they included that at number 2 for. The cutscenes are completely ridiculous and the voice acting is inferior to that in the original game. They should have just included the firs game their instead.
  • ViolentLee - September 6, 2012 1:24 p.m.

You guys were quick to mention what the definitive version was for each MGS iteration, yet you fail to mention MGS3 Subsistence? The refined/fixed camera control made all the difference!
  • miked00d - September 6, 2012 2:16 p.m.

Exactly! The original MGS3, for me, was broken. I'm actually only playing through it now for the first time, in the HD collection, which is the subsistence version without the ridiculous price.
  • GaryTheGuidoHunter - September 6, 2012 1:16 p.m.

3 will always the best for me because I always felt that the whole MGS story line got too complicated way too fast. I loved Snake Eater because of how simple the story was and PW was just as good. The whole Boss/Snake relationship was just amazing to witness
  • Knuckles987 - September 6, 2012 1:01 p.m.

Metal Gear Solid 3, all the way. I've never played a game more times than MGS3, always trying to go for something different with every playthrough. The release of MGS3: Subsistence made playing it even better, with the inclusion of multiplayer and the Secret Theater (Metal Gear Sigint, anyone?). It tops my list of the greatest games of all time, and I'm pleased that it topped this list as well.
  • Turtman - September 6, 2012 12:53 p.m.

Am I the only one who thinks 4 just didn't resonate quite right? Also the Portable Ops series I tried to love but just couldn't. Loved the hell outta 3 tho, good call GamesRadar!
  • dcobs123 - September 6, 2012 1:40 p.m.

Yeah I thought the gameplay was great but went downhill after ch2. I also thought the story was inconsistent and the game didn't do as good of a job handling a main theme as the previous games.
  • dcobs123 - September 6, 2012 1:46 p.m.

Anyone else love mgs2 vr stealth missions? The levels toward the end were pretty complex and it's pretty satisfying once you memorize all the enemy paths and nail a perfect ghost run.
  • Turtman - September 6, 2012 6:42 p.m.

If you like memorizing enemy paths and stealthing around try the Hitman series. I do love me some VR missions
  • JMarsella09 - September 6, 2012 12:51 p.m.

3 is the best from a gaming standpoint, but I think I loved Peace Walker the most.
  • MyCoolWhiteLies - September 6, 2012 12:50 p.m.

I love MGS 3 and MGS 1 the most. In large part it's because they're the least convoluted, and tell the most cohesive stories. Both hold up well enough as standalone games that can be enjoyed on their own merits.