Topics

GR turns 5

We Recommend

• Danielmemo - April 9, 2011 3:50 a.m.

Damn. I wish my fifth birthday was this fancy...
  • chrisat928 - April 9, 2011 3:39 a.m.

Gamers love to bitch. Gamers are the whiniest group of people ever.
  • ThatGuyFromTV - April 9, 2011 3:16 a.m.

Ditto NightCrawler. and also the only reason Portal shouldn't get #1 is because of its short length. Which Portal 2 will remedy in just a bit.
  • ssj4raditz - April 9, 2011 3:10 a.m.

I love that picture of Tim Schafer.
  • PimplesInYourAsstista - April 9, 2011 3:08 a.m.

Portal defiantly deserves #1.
  • NightCrawler_358 - April 9, 2011 3:07 a.m.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't believe that any Call of Duty game made it on the list. If that is the case, that makes me kind of happy, but i do actually believe 4 deserves a spot. Just 4.
  • HyperPoweredHighFive - April 9, 2011 2:57 a.m.

Jeez, I didn't even notice ocarina of time was excluded. Also, @ Imthedoctor, this is based on how much fun they are to play NOW. Not how influential.
  • D0CCON - April 9, 2011 2:45 a.m.

I've always considered Portal to be perfection distilled down to its purest essence. I think that counts as being the best videogame ever.
  • XLGirthMan - April 9, 2011 2:41 a.m.

Kingdom Hearts being in the list appeased me, so I have no complaints.
  • Imthedoctor - April 9, 2011 2:31 a.m.

Goldeneye is definitely up there too ;)
  • bball42242442 - April 9, 2011 2:27 a.m.

only 5 of us that said Goldeneye... wow, surprising
  • Imthedoctor - April 9, 2011 2:27 a.m.

Portal is definitely not the best game ever..it's good..just not the best..at all. I'd go with GTA 3, that was groundbreaking, LITERALLY. That or Halo 1, that changed everything, Super Mario 64 changed 3D gaming, or Final Fantasy VII. Plus, i think Tetris was #2 on your list?? Thats a no no :/ All and all though it was a decent countdown. Crash or spyro or sly or jak or ratchet should of been in it..but whatevs, doesn't change how good they were
  • TastyCakesMcgee - April 9, 2011 2:24 a.m.

This was cool. I love random (or not so random) stats on stuff like this. And while I wouldn't say Portal is my top game ever, it's just that, not MY top game ever, doesn't mean you guys can't have an opinion too. Just depends on what you played the most. I'd say my top game would either be Custom Robo for GC or LOTR: The Third Age. But only because those are the game I remember the fondest.
  • Killershadow117 - April 9, 2011 2:23 a.m.

Come on guys! Portal is AMAZING! All of those other games may be better in your opinion but you got to remember that portal is basically just a game by accident. Just like the gravity gun in half life! Two great things that are now really huge things!!!
  • adamstephenson - April 9, 2011 2:13 a.m.

Cool article Charlie. I am surprised PS2 beats out SNES. The PS2 was pretty amazing, but SNES has some magic that the PS2 just doesn't. I do agree that PC belongs on top though, definitely have had the best gaming experiences there (here). And 1994...I remember that year. I gave my parents a Christmas wishlist and they just laughed at me, because I had 10 or so SNES games on it. So hard to decide between DKC and FF3!
  • Yeager1122 - April 9, 2011 2:10 a.m.

Honestly i dont even think Portal would be in my top 50 no that its not a good game but thats jus tone mans opinion.
  • Nolidusk - April 9, 2011 2:09 a.m.

Portal best game ever? HAHAHAHA Goodbye Gamesradar!
  • GamesRadarCharlieBarratt - April 9, 2011 2:08 a.m.

And the circle of life continues...
  • taylornolfi - April 9, 2011 2:03 a.m.

@elsnichkum I don't know how anyone can think that Portal is a hipster, baby's first puzzle game. What makes a game like Amnesia with actual feeling, atmosphere, and story telling worse than Portal? The world may never know
  • EricBratcher - April 9, 2011 1:57 a.m.

But seriously, readers: You see those graphs that show how almost no games from before 1989 made it? That's a bunch of young whipper-snappers teaming up on an old man. That's what that is. I should send 'em all to bed early without their milk and cookies.