We Recommend

• StrayGator - July 13, 2013 1:38 a.m.

this build emphasizes CPU overclocking, which has small effect on most games (as it's the graphics card holding them back - overclock your graphics!) and takes some know-how, not something i'd recommend for someone eho looks for console replacement plug-and-play experience. also, the release of GTX 760 makes the 660ti a bad value. my guidelines for a balanced GAMING rig: - cheapest intel i5* you can find whose model number doesn't end with a T or P (low power parts). look for a K part only if you plan to overclock. * multi-threading / 8 core barely benefit current games (if at all), but with both next-gen consoles sporting 8-core processors (tablet/netbook cores, but still-), game developers may learn to harness the possibilities it offers and utilize it to an extent that compensates for the PC's higher performance-per-core. then an 8-core PC CPU would be beneficial for gaming. I wager the Uncharteds and Halos will reach that point in 2-3 years, with 3rd parties 1-2 years later. - Motherboard: something that works with the CPU (same socket). take note of the amount of USB 2.0/3.0 ports if it's of any importance to you (it should be). I won't delve into multi-GPU compatibility (complicates things) or overclocking (bottomless pit). if your'e interested in these topics, consult an experienced builder about your specific needs, expectations and budget. - RAM: 8 GB. saving few pennies for 4 GB will bite you back. more than 8 won't change much and it's the easiest thing to upgrade later. Lotsa Megahertzes are nice but not fundamental to the system's overall performance. LATENCY ("timings", usually looks like 8-8-8-24 or so) is more important - the lower the better. - graphics: for a single 1080p screen I recommend the GTX 760, the lowest of nvidia's current high-end range which sells for $250-260 midrange price. anything other than metro:LL or crysis 3 cranked to 11 is guaranteed to run at constantly smooth 60fps (these 2 games balance their "ultra" settings higher than what current technology can support). too much? the aforementioned $150-ish GTX 650ti Boost (make sure it's a "boost", the regular 650ti is a different card) will give respectable performance with every game you'll throw at it (with some concessions inthe most demanding titles). just don't expect it to age gracefully come the wave of next-gen ports. 1440p: you'd want to invest in a GTX 780 or (better value & performance, if your platform supports it) two GTX 760s. 4K / multi-monitor: you can't spend enough on graphics, but it doesn't matter because you're insane / insanely rich anyway. multiple 4K monitors: you'll have to cut on your defense budget. paying extra $10-20 for a card with a fancy cooler is usually worth it, as it'll run cooler and quieter than the standard version - unless you're going multi GPU, then anything but a blower cooler (single turbine on the right side) will raise in-case temperature and may hinder performance. - disc drive? might as well. - hard drive (bulk storage): no one knows better than you how much you need. - SSD: absolutely worth it, not necessarily in games. about everything you do with the computer will be much snappier, more like a smartphone/tablet than a pc. so which one? let's just say that the difference between the best and worst SSDs available is dwarfed by the gap between the worst SSD and the best HDD. If you aren't running a datacenter pretty much anything will do. - power supply: BETTER SAFE THAN SORRY. buy a premium brand (enermax, seasonic) and overprovision. as a rule of thumb, take 100w for the platform, 100w for the CPU, 50w for paraphernalia (drives, misc cards) = 250w so far. now add 100w-300w for each graphics card (the above recommendations? 650ti=150w, 760=225w) and round the result up if needed. - case: with so many sizes, features and tastes to pick from this is a presonal choice. that said, the phantom 410, despite being on the bulky/heavy side (and imo plain ugly) is a well ventilated, feature rich case for a good price. - soundcard? 99% of us can't tell the difference. - CPU cooler? good idea. even if you don't overclock, a good cooler won't be as noisy as the standard one, and will also enhance air circulation (lower overall case temperature). - X360 controller for windows: you need it.
  • Mr.YumYums - July 13, 2013 7:41 a.m.

And I know you're enhancing the points in this article but I feel I got more from this one post that GR.
  • mentalityljs - July 13, 2013 10:44 a.m.

Also with the PSU, make sure it has all of the neccessary(and correct) power and SATA cables for your devices.
  • garnsr - July 13, 2013 1:28 a.m.

Dear God, this all sounds like something I wouldn't want to deal with. I guess I can see how it would interest people, the way car parts do, but console gaming seems like so much less work, and you get developers to learn how to use the hardware better, instead of the user buying new hardware to be cutting edge every season. More power to you if you like mashing all these things together, though.
  • wanderer000 - July 13, 2013 1:08 a.m.

Yeah, the first 3 parts are $20 more than the price in the guide so I stopped looking. The article was posted an hour ago :/
  • rcarrasco121 - July 12, 2013 10:31 p.m.

I always wanted to dip my toes into PC gaming (Steam and those cheap prices are so inviting.) but it seems so intimidating. I feel like no matter what PC I end up with, it'll always be left behind by superior rigs.
  • pl4y4h - July 13, 2013 12:18 a.m.

Steam sales son. Games are going for less than 3 dollars. 3 dollar!!!!!ktfvjfccf
  • Lichtius - July 13, 2013 2:21 a.m.

Look man, it's not about having the best rig and being the best. Leave that to the rich kids with more money than brains. PC gaming is all about building a rig that will be able to run games at a level that you are comfortable with and that will last you a few years. I built my PC like 5 years ago and only recently had to start upgrading to run things on the highest settings, and it wasn't even the top of the line parts that I got way back when I built it. What I'm trying to say is, don't be intimidated by the PC market. If you're clever about it it'll be an investment that'll bring you countless hours of joy, whether you're playing by yourself or with friends. Plus, everything is going free to play, with games like Planetside 2 and TF2 leading the charge, what more could you possibly want?
  • mothbanquet - July 13, 2013 2:35 a.m.

The man speaks the truth. I have friends who buy all the latest hardware...and their games don't even need it.
  • rcarrasco121 - July 13, 2013 6:51 a.m.

Thanks! That actually some pretty helpful advice. Time to start saving up some cash then.
  • MightyWumbo - July 12, 2013 9:36 p.m.

i need help finding a decent graphic card for my pc. been looking around the internet for sometime right now but i have no clue if my computer can run it!!!! still newbie on this, need a card that can run two monitors as well in the future! thanks
  • Bela1013 - July 12, 2013 9:05 p.m.

Here's my 2013 Gaming Rig build specs OS: Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit SP1 Mobo: ASUS MAXIMUS VI HERO LGA 1150 Intel Z87 CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K Haswell RAM: G.SKILL Sniper Gaming Series 16GB 1866 PSU: Corsair HX Series 750W Full Modular 80+ Platinum GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 680 FTW+ 4GB Hard Drive 1: Samsung 840 Series 2.5" 250GB SSD (Boot Drive) Hard Drive 2: Seagate Barracuda 2TB Hard Drive 3: Seagate Barracuda 2TB CPU Cooler: COOLER MASTER GeminII CPU Cooler Case: NZXT PHANTOM 820 Monitor: ASUS VS Series VS238H-P Black 23" 2ms HDMI LED Keyboard: ROCCAT Isku Illuminated Gaming Keyboard Mouse: ROCCAT Kone[+] Max Customization Gaming Mouse
  • ZeeCaptain - July 12, 2013 8:23 p.m.

Oh no, this article is wide open for the console fanboys to troll, raise the "better than thou are" shields!
  • BladedFalcon - July 12, 2013 10:27 p.m.

Not really. I actually wish all the sites did features like this more often. It's a useful guide for any console gamer that might be considering jumping onto PC gaming.
  • bradley-pellegrini - July 12, 2013 5:55 p.m.

Nothing super fancy in my build really. I haven't got around to crossfiring yet, just built a few weeks ago. Might add another GPU soon, and liquid cooling when I do. 1 x CORSAIR CX750M 750W ATX12V v2.3 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply ... AMD FX-8350 Vishera 4.0GHz (4.2GHz Turbo) Socket AM3+ 125W Eight-Core Desktop Processor FD8350FRHKBOX 1 x AMD FX-8350 Vishera 4.0GHz (4.2GHz Turbo) Socket AM3+ 125W Eight-Core Desktop Processor FD8350FRHKBOX 1 x ASUS SABERTOOTH 990FX R2.0 AM3+ AMD 990FX SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard with UEFI BIOS 1 x Western Digital WD Blue WD10EZEX 1TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive 1 x XFX Double D FX797GTDFC Radeon HD 7970 GHz Edition 3GB 384-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card 1 x G.SKILL Sniper Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1866 (PC3 14900) Desktop Memory Model F3-1866C9D-16GSR 1x Mushkin Enhanced Callisto Deluxe MKNSSDCL120GB-DX 2.5" 120GB SATA II MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) 1 x COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 EVO RR-212E-20PK-R2 Continuous Direct Contact 120mm Sleeve CPU Cooler Compatible with latest ... 1 x RAIDMAX Agusta ATX-605BT Black / Titanium Steel / Plastic ATX Full Tower Computer Case 1 x Acer G236HLBbd Black 23" 5ms Widescreen LED Monitor ~1400 @ time of purchase. It was something like 1300 with rebates and I could have cut off over $300 by taking out my SSD and CPU fan.
  • Scavengre - July 12, 2013 6:06 p.m.

How does the Vishera perform I notice it about 6 months ago and thought it might be interesting as the power REQ is the same as my current setup (although I would need a new AM3+ Board as well)
  • bradley-pellegrini - July 12, 2013 6:18 p.m.

It's great for me. I upgraded from a 2010 MacBook with a 2.26 Ghz Core 2 Duo, so it's a huge upgrade for me. It runs a little hotter than some people like, especially since I do have mine OC'd to 4.6 Ghz. If you've got an aftermarket cooler for it then you'd be fine there. It depends on what you need it for. With 8 cores you can run anything that will come out for a while, but at the same time you'll never use them all. Looking at your current build I'd upgrade the GPU first. Everywhere I looked when i built it says that the Phenom II are still plenty powerful enough for gaming, and if you're not doing high end code rendering or anything like that an 8 core CPU won't help you any. I suggest waiting until they release Steamroller and seeing if that is still AM3+, because it will be easier on your PSU with the newer architecture.
  • Scavengre - July 12, 2013 6:28 p.m.

I run allot of 3d rendering Software, 3DS, Maya, Rhino5 and Solid works also I do a ton of work in Illustrator and PS. Autodesk CS 2014 "works" but when I use a second monitor my mouse indicator disappears (RAM issue I would believe). Adobe MS6 is a resource hog so again I look at RAM but my current board supports 16GB IIRC
  • bradley-pellegrini - July 12, 2013 6:37 p.m.

Then in my opinion you should upgrade your ram and wait on the CPU. You're running 6 GB of ram on a tri-channel. You should upgrade to 8 or 16 on dual channel. It'd be a better upgrade for a short time period than upgrading the CPU and would still be useful later if you upgrade the CPU. A lot of the 3d rendering is gong to be on your GPU not CPU, CPU would handle a lot of programming, but if all you're doing is graphics a better GPU would be a better option than CPU. Plus, when SR comes out you can be assured that the FX-8350 will drop in price.
  • Scavengre - July 12, 2013 7:08 p.m.

Yeah RAM and GPU are on the very tippity top of my list of upgrades ( i wanna run the Skyrim EBN mod ). But my PC is a tool for work as well so 8x cores seemed interesting