We Recommend

• Voltanis - March 7, 2012 10:46 a.m.

I'll dodge the trollish personal attack towards me and just follow up on a few points. Let's say you bought a music CD with 10 songs on it, took it home, and put it in your CD player. You end up only getting 7 songs, with the other 3 instead being a message that you have to pay extra to hear them. Consumers would have a fit. Why is this behavior acceptable when it comes to video games? Gamers are united in that they don't care? I think this is the real problem. Perhaps if more gamers realized they were getting screwed over like this, they would be more inclined to do something about it.
  • Spybreak8 - March 7, 2012 7:29 a.m.

Sorry but there are holes to that theory which Capcom is using. First of all why not just have everyone download the files through a patch and then you wouldn't have to worry about one player not having the new characters/animations. For example the Fable DLC for Fable 2 were all the same size. Even if you were getting the compatibility DLC or the unlocked DLC you could play with a player who has the new content or not. Second, ok I'll grant you that this can work out but why make your fans, people that are picking it up not only on day 1 but also new, have to pay more for this convenience and content that is already paid for. Make the DLC free for owners of the game and I think this controversy would end.
  • TerminX - March 6, 2012 7:53 p.m.

You're missing the point entirely, Justin. First off, hard drive space? That's a load of shit, let's get real. And, "playing with people who haven't bought it"? There's a little concept called "patches" that works just as well. There is NO excuse for this. The DLC characters exist (Or, are supposed to) because they are extra content to be added after the game's release, to freshen up the game. If they are already completed and on the disc, it means they could've been in the game originally. But instead of keeping them in, they locked them out, so they could jew you out of some extra cash. Makes sense? Preferable? Are you retarded, or just well paid off? Seriously, Capcom is going to get away with this bullshit again and again because of people like you. I have never posted an angry comment at a journalist before, but goddamn. Your idiocy has successfully angered me, sir. Well played.
  • arashi-solace - March 6, 2012 10:19 p.m.

Remember the days when you beat the game to unlock characters and costumes..? lol
  • TreyTable - March 8, 2012 4:04 p.m.

Yeah, like Marvel vs. Capcom 2 on the Dreamcast. Those were the days. This gets me thinking; remember Street Fighter II: Turbo (Hyper Fighting) on the Super NES and Street Fighter II: Special Champion Edition on the Genesis? Both games contained SF2: Hyper Fighting and as a bonus, a full version of Street Fighter II: Champion Edition, all on the same cart. If you wanted different character colors, it was as easy as pushing START or one of the face/shoulder buttons. Now Capcom charges extra for this kind of treatment. Bollocks to that. Now every Capcom game I want I will buy used. Even if I'm saving five bucks at GameStop, I don't want Capcom to get my money. As for DLC, I'll wait for the eventual sale on PSN Plus and/or XBLA, or maybe just pass it up entirely. This behavior, I am told, is bad for the publisher. Good, that's what I want. If Capcom wants to screw me, I'll screw them right back. This isn't just for Capcom alone; any publisher, big or small, who decides to screw over their potential customers gets the same treatment. If people taking a stand like this and maybe putting a greedy company out of business, then I say it's, "easy operation." This can tell other publishers that we don't take kindly to this kind of crap.
  • Mamudo - March 16, 2012 5:15 p.m.

Colors are free. I don't blame you for the rest though.
  • Yukichin - March 6, 2012 6:24 p.m.

I haven't a problem with them adding extra characters after the initial roster. That's just them adding content, providing the roster isn't sorely lacking in characters (that is, give us a decent amount to start, a couple of unlockables, and then add more through DLC later). Give us a full game first, then charge for more. On-disc DLC kind of reeks of "we're selling you this game at $60, but you're not actually getting everything, so too bad". They're not carving out entire bits of the game to sell later (Final Fantasy XIII-2, I'm looking at you), but it's not something to be "okay" with, in my eyes either.
  • lilbuddha - March 6, 2012 6:14 p.m.

I would like to make an announcement to the people over the years who said that DLC was "extra" content and not just a means of ripping existing already made content away from the original production as a means of increasing revenue... :ahem: I TOLD YOU SO Now that I've gotten that out, have fun being screwed over by EVERY major game company from here on out, simply because you LET IT get this bad. You have no one else to blame but yourselves, fucking idiots. Back to playing on my PC where this disgusting infection still has a chance of being cured.
  • Stryde22 - March 6, 2012 2:56 p.m.

cute arguments over a simple beat em up. truly a distressing problem. the only way that this is reducing the fun of the game is by eliminating half the reason i even play a fighting game in the first place; unlocking everything through gameplay. without that its just even more of a harmless short-life casual multiplayer game.but oh well.
  • chriszewski - March 6, 2012 1:23 p.m.

So offering a free downloadable compatibility patch (a la the Mortal Kombat reeboot) was a worse idea than having DLC on the disc? Trying to set a precedent are we Capcom? Oh what a slippery slope...
  • darkvare - March 6, 2012 4:15 p.m.

did you actually played mortal kombat online long enought to notice how shitty that solution was
  • Rockman - March 7, 2012 3:23 p.m.

I played a LOT of MK9 online. I had to quit numerous matches before they even started because I main a DLC character, and not everyone took the time to download the compatibility patch. If it was a guarantee that everyone had to download it, a compatibility patch would be no problem, but not everyone wants to take the time to do it.
  • FauxFurry - March 6, 2012 11:57 a.m.

Something that would have further reduced the probability of fragmenting the user base would have been to charge a lump sum for all of the 'DLC' upfront as part of the standard unit cost rather than hide the true cost behind multiple fees over a prolonged period of time. At the very least, Capcom could have given players the option to buy the game with the unlock keys in the box on day one or not. They could have avoided aggravating many of their potential costumers by taking either action, so long as they are honest about it.
  • Ultimadrago - March 6, 2012 10:03 a.m.

Noep, not "buying" their excuse or their title.
  • steven-paul-spike-carroll - March 6, 2012 9:41 a.m.

I would prefer to download all my games than have them on a disc.
  • Mortis - March 6, 2012 9:33 a.m.

it's almost as if people forget that developers and publishers of games (especially the big ones: CAPCOM, Bethesda, Ubi, EA) are in the business of video games to...gasp! make money. if they cannot maintain a steady revenue stream, then they are dropped, discarded and fade into nostalgic (or infamous) memory. they're never guaranteed a money making launch...or even a money making shelf life. how many developers have already gone under because their game didn't sell? DLC can, i repeat, CAN be a good thing as long as the experience derived from said DLC is worth my money. sadly, that is often not the case. DLC should be treated like expansion packs for PC games. release them a year or so after the initial game with another good 10 hours of gameplay or another pack of 12 fighters/cars/what-have-you. but the problem with that is the average attention span of our Ritalin-raised generation probably won't be playing more than 1 or 2 of the same games a year down the road. either way, you buy it or you don't. you really want to end the DLC way of life? stop buying DLC. everyone. if no one spends money on it, no developer will spend the money to make it in the first place but not everyone will stop buying. game makers know this and the game makers like making money. and for some reason, i've been giving them my money for 26 years.
  • TreyTable - March 8, 2012 4:17 p.m.

I take offense to your comment about Ritalin. As one who suffered with ADD, Ritalin was a gift from the gods. It gave me focus; those who suffer from ADD & ADHD are the ones who cannot keep their attention in check, while drugs like Ritalin solves that problem (for most people). Just check your facts, like reading DSM-IV-TR, before you decide to belittle those with a mental illness. You're like a school in the summer.
  • smurfantista - March 6, 2012 8:43 a.m.

There's good DLC like the GTA expansions, Borderlands expansions, and Shivering Isles, and then there's crap made to screw the customer over like horse armor and disc-locked content.
  • IronMan - March 6, 2012 8:06 a.m.

When you come to terms with the fact that these 12 characters were never going to be given away for free, it becomes irrelevant to how this content is delivered to you. It doesn't matter if it's on the disk, a full download from XBL or Capcom hand delivers a flash device to your house, you are still only ever getting the content Capcom wants you to have and when it wants you to have it. So what if it's on the disk already... If it wasn't we would be downloading exactly the same thing off the store, albeit a larger file, and no one would be complaining. The fact that doing it this way negates Capcom from putting out a 'Super' version of the game within 12 months as they have done in the past should be something gamers are pleased about. It seems Capcom are in a no win situation with some people.
  • minimaxi - March 6, 2012 9:12 a.m.

you got one of the better argument defending on-disc dlc, and that's why this debate can go on forever.