We Recommend

• BladedFalcon - October 16, 2012 8:29 a.m.

Awesome article! And as someone who's interested in all three titles... Yeah, Metal Gear Rising is far and above the most promising looking for me, and the only one I know I will buy for sure. Dmc looks great as well, but I'll still wait for the reviews and overall consensus just to be safe. And GoW: Ascencion looks good... it's just that it also looks entirely more of the same. Which is not an entirely bad thing since the core concept is great... but this being the sixth entry of the series, is starting to get stale as well. Also... there's something about Dmc's gameplay that I want to know about, and so far no one has quite answered it: The stylish bar. Does it still exist in this game? For casual or outsiders that might not mean anything, but for anyone that loves the combat in Dmc it means a LOT. I mean, that system, which basically rewards you for mixing up and trying new combos and punishes you by repeating or mashing moves is pretty much the main cornerstone of what makes the DMC series a much more varied, fun and challenging action game series than most others, bayonetta included. (I loved bayonetta, but the lack of such system meant that once you found one favorite combo, you could just spam it over and over and over again.)
  • GR_DavidHoughton - October 16, 2012 8:51 a.m.

Yeah, it's in there. Fear not, the whole SSS - D scale is ready and waiting.
  • BladedFalcon - October 16, 2012 9:17 a.m.

Ah, awesome! :D Although, just to clarify, does it still work the same way? as in, the bar will increase the more and more varied combos you make, and stop growing if you constantly repeat the same combo? or has that changed?
  • gilgamesh310 - October 16, 2012 12:38 p.m.

Was that stylish bar in all the DMC games? I haven't played them in a long time and can't really remember. If it was in the second game it wouldn't have mattered anyway. You could go through that by just shooting the enemies from a distance and doing nothing else most of the time, it was so simplistic. I agree with what you said about Bayonetta. I enjoy the game a lot but it's all too easy to spam the same move and actually more beneficial a lot of the time then bothering to memorise combos.
  • BladedFalcon - October 16, 2012 1:15 p.m.

Well I can't say for sure if that bar was in DMC2, since I only played the first level of that game and then quickly forgot about it. And I mean, DMC2 is so fucking shitty that really, i think any knowing fans never really take it into account anymore XD I will say that it definitely was present in DMC, DMC3 and DMC4 though. And I remember specially in 4's case because thanks to that bar I enjoyed the game far more than I probably should have. I know DMC4 had a lot of issues, but I look back at it fondly because it came out at a time where I was starved for a challenging, varied action game, and DMC4 delivered just that, if only mainly thanks to that bar and that it kept making me strive to create better and more varied combos.
  • BladedFalcon - October 16, 2012 1:19 p.m.

And yeah, regarding Bayonetta, I distinctly remember there was a combo that exploited the game, by starting one of the quickly repeating kicks that one particular weapon had, then quickly switching to the rocket launcher boots, which then made it so the kick shot hundreds of rockets, dealing massive damage to anything and essentially breaking the game... And there was no penalty for that XD
  • jackthemenace - October 16, 2012 1:57 p.m.

Well, Bayonetta did have the combo points meter- if you were trying to go for platinum medals you did have to ix up the combos you used, especially on higher difficulties, like Legendary Dark Witch. Admittedly, it was pretty easy to counteract that, though, by equipping the gaze of despair, which effectively gave you double combo points for everything. But, there was a sort-of penalty for just spamming the same moves over and over, because you wouldn't get decent medals for combo points. although, If you managed to go without taking damage, it pretty much counteracted it.
  • BladedFalcon - October 16, 2012 2:12 p.m.

Well, thing is, at most, Bayonetta's combo meter rewarded you for mixing it up, but it never punished you for spamming to repeating a move ad-nauseum. And like you said, if you avoided taking damage, it didn't matter altogether. DMC's system on the other hand demand not only skill in reading the opponent and dodging, but also to mix it up as much as possible. You can avoid getting hit trough dozens of enemies, but the game will stop rewarding you if you kill them all with the same combo again and again and again. Not so with bayonetta, is what I meant.
  • ultimatepunchrod - October 16, 2012 8:24 a.m.

Do I have to pick just one? I don't know if that's possible. Liked Bayonetta quite a bit, but I know literally nothing about the MGS universe, so I think I may skip MGR. As for GOW and DmC, I'm definitely getting those. GOW is so refined at this point, they can't really go wrong. I just hope it doesn't feel stale. I've been looking forward to DmC for about 2 whole years now, so there's no way I'm not getting that.
  • BladedFalcon - October 16, 2012 8:36 a.m.

...Skipping MGR just because you know nothing about the MGS universe would be a HUGE mistake. I mean, it could help, sure, but for an action game such as MGR the story really isn't going to be crucial, SPECIALLY since since it's platinum we're talking here... I mean, you liked Bayonetta, right? Well I am pretty sure if you did, it wasn't because of the story or characters, am i right? If so, why can't you just give MGR a chance and enjoy it just as the awesome, over the top action game it's clearly going to be?
  • ultimatepunchrod - October 22, 2012 9:33 a.m.

I'm not ruling it out entirely, but it'll have to wait lol. Between these 3 and Bioshock Infinite, I am going to be a broke man next year.
  • jackthemenace - October 16, 2012 8:50 a.m.

Yeah, he's right. I'm assuming that Revengeance is barely going to tie in with the other games at all, really, bar his history as a child soldier. I doubt it'd be enough to warrant skipping the game entirely. Maybe just wiki the synopses of MGS2 and 4 before playing it, to be on the safe side, though?
  • slimjim441 - October 16, 2012 7:56 a.m.

Metal Gear Sold. Love it. And I'm still sold. It's looking far better than it was at E3 2011. DMC, maybe. GoW, meh; it looks like the main selling point will be the story, and I hate the story of the GoW series.