Topics

WTF

We Recommend

• lilspooky - January 23, 2012 10:54 a.m.

I was in gamestop the other day and saw star trek online for $60! Its Free to play! LOLS!
  • Barnsley Pal - January 23, 2012 10:08 a.m.

That is a great photo.
  • cornishcookie - January 23, 2012 9:59 a.m.

I did see Super Mario Brothers Wii for £44.99 in HMV near to Christmas time... They do this pricing with their CDs too, same album for £5, £4, £3... no wonder they're going under.
  • Moonlight_Shadow - January 23, 2012 9:42 a.m.

Video games seem to be expensive in the UK. Here in Canada they go cheap fast. Here's some examples of brand new console games (PC are even cheaper) I've seen go on sale within a month of their release: Batman Arkhym City $15.00 Assassin's Creed: Revelations $20.00 RAGE $20.00 Skyrim Collector's Edition $80.00 Deus Ex: Human Revolution $25.00 These are all at retail stores and this is why I almost never pre-order games anymore unless there's a limited edition I like the contents of and I'm a big fan of the series. Even then you can sometimes pre-order a game at a $5-10 discount or store credit. Also 1£=$1.60 CAD in case anyone's wondering.
  • Barnsley Pal - January 23, 2012 10:07 a.m.

As a Canadian who just moved back home after living in the UK for 3 years I can safely say that on average games are cheaper in the UK. They start out more expensive on release but drop much more quickly. You also have to have in mind that their 20% tax is included in their sticker prices whereas we add ours on at the cash. I bought so many games over there because they were almost always cheaper. Of course there are exceptions.
  • tv710 - January 23, 2012 9:38 a.m.

wow, you noticed the price differences? you have an "eagle eye" ... for price tags. Maybe the army can recruit you ... to spot the "typos" on the RPG's that are rocketing toward your head at 500 mph.
  • Enaksan - January 23, 2012 9:27 a.m.

I used to work at a Game store, and would quite frequently find new copies of games at less than preowned prices, sometimes by £10-20 easily! I know that's a little different to this example, but just another way that some stores seem to not have a handle on their pricing.
  • FanofSaiyan - January 23, 2012 9:22 a.m.

My main gaming store would be Gamestop, but I have not taken the time to notice such horrible retail-mishaps like the one you've pointed out in this article. I guess I should be happy about that.
  • MyCoolWhiteLies - January 23, 2012 9:09 a.m.

Funny story, but more importantly: FANTASTIC MR. FOX! Seriously, one of the best and most under-appreciated movies of the past few years. Scratch that. Ever.
  • Moonlight_Shadow - January 23, 2012 9:47 a.m.

Have you seen this parody? http://www.collegehumor.com/video/6447830/the-fantastic-mr-star-fox I agree, that movie is pretty awesome. It's so frustrating trying to convince people to check it out.
  • MyCoolWhiteLies - January 23, 2012 11:10 a.m.

I love you forever for showing me this.
  • garnsr - January 23, 2012 8:39 a.m.

Gamestops in Hawaii used to price everything $5 more than MSRP, while Best Buy or Wal Mart didn't, and I'd still see people buying from them for some reason. I remember the days when you could walk into a game store, book store, or music store, and actually look through a good assortment of products and find something you wanted. Now bookstores only have the biggest, best selling books, and Best Buy and Wal Mart hardly have any CDs except greatest hits, and there isn't anywhere else to go to browse through music that might catch your eye. It's nice that it's easy to get media online now, but I miss being able to browse. But shopping online gets you lots of different prices, too. If you aren't getting any disc the prices should be much lower. Still paying $15 for an album is too much for MP3, especially old albums. 99 cents for a 25 second sketch in the middle of an album is crazy.
  • Fizban - January 23, 2012 8:29 a.m.

I'm more surprised that the GamesRadar staff are allowed to take lunch breaks.
  • comaqi - January 23, 2012 9:08 a.m.

I didn't know they were even allowed to leave the office on any day but Christmas..
  • ThisIsMyFuckingThirdAccount - January 23, 2012 11:15 a.m.

I think that only applies to the cheat code editors.
  • chrisbarker1980 - January 23, 2012 8:21 a.m.

I have just got back from my local games store with a similar story to tell. Needing a new gamepad for my 360, I checked online for price's. Game and HMV website's advertise "New" Xbox 360 Black Wireless Controllers for £22.99 and £24.99 respectively. Cheapest wins so I head down to Game with my money in hand. But when I arrive the price is not the "online" advertised price of £22.99, but a rather higher price of £34.99, with pre-owned being priced at £27.99 in-store, £4 more than a brand new one, if you apparently order from there website. I refused to pay such a price on principle and headed to HMV, but they had no pads in-stock, so I returned home a little bit annoyed. I checked game's website again and noticed they offer a "Click & Collect" service, whereby you pay "online" and pick up you purchase in-store. I went through the process to check if a 360 pad, at £22.99 was available via "Click & Collect" in my area. It is. Which is puzzling to say the least. Anyway I have emailed Game to possibly shed some light on these inconsistent and confusing price's, I am waiting for a reply.
  • larkan - January 23, 2012 8:18 a.m.

First off: RAGE is not worth more than the price of the media it was put on, so pricing it beyond a mid level coaster is beyond belief no matter who is selling it. But yeah, this is the norm usually when I go to Gamestop to kill time for 5 minutes and get a good laugh. They had a brand new, GOTY copy of Uncharted 2 for $40 sitting literally right next to a used, normal copy of it for $45. I understand that they have to follow their price structure, but seriously, moving one away from another doesn't seem like it'd be that difficult to accomplish.
  • wingsdjy - January 23, 2012 8:15 a.m.

Wait...is the £19.99 copy a new one? It's the only one that doesn't end in xx.x8 and it's missing the Previously Played sticker. That's jacked up if the used copies are less than the new.
  • wingsdjy - January 23, 2012 8:15 a.m.

*more This site needs an edit feature.
  • cj12297 - January 23, 2012 8:07 a.m.

I managed to get Community in HMV but it was after they told me they didn't have it.....