We Recommend

• MetroidPrimeRib - December 10, 2011 11:42 a.m.

1. Skyward Sword 2. The Witcher 2 3. Batman Arkham City 4. Deus Ex: Human Revolution 5. Dark Souls
  • ShowMeYourKitties - December 10, 2011 11:18 a.m.

I f*cking love you Michael Grimm
  • Imgema - December 10, 2011 11:17 a.m.

I think Carolyn Gudmundson perfectly summed up why Portal 2 is the best game of the year (or maybe the last 5 years?) I also agree about Dead Space 2. Although i preferred the muted protagonist of the original (cause i can relate myself to him easier), the level design and atmosphere were even better.
  • SunniDee - December 10, 2011 10:41 a.m.

Grimm's was the best one to read out of all them, but Matty Keast is the smartest one. Gamesradar and all other publications are going to have a tough decision for game of the year and even runner-up. GOTY: 1. Arkham City 2. Mario Kart 7 3. Pokemon White 4. Portal 2 5. tied Uncharted 3 and Mario land 3D
  • g4m3rk1dd - December 10, 2011 10:33 a.m.

FF13 Batman AC Gears 3 Bulletstorm Dead Space 2 go ahead and talk smack...i have a certain set of skills...
  • Sjoeki - December 10, 2011 10:51 a.m.

FF13? What game are you talking about there? I'm pretty sure Final Fantasy 13 came out last year and that they are working on FiFa 13 for next year.
  • BertTheTurtle - December 10, 2011 10:25 a.m.

Yeah, Dead Space 2 was crazy awesome, but...what boss fights are you talking about? The first game had the Hunter, the Leviathan, the Slug, and the Hive Mind, but I think DS2 only had the Tormentor, the Ubermorph, and that...interesting fight at the end. There were tripods, to be sure, but wouldn't those be mini-bosses, however great they were? Maybe I'm mistaken. It sure was a great game though.
  • V22Dreamcast - December 10, 2011 10:22 a.m.

Bulletstorm, Shadows of the Damned, Portal 2, Batman:AC, Saints Row the Third, Skyrim, Rayman Origins, Uncharted 3, Dead Space 2, Gears 3, Sonic Generations, Deus Ex, Battlefield 3....there was too many great games this year. If I had to choose one, I will choose Batman:AC only cause I'm a huge Batman fan but all the other games are amazing too. This was a good year for games.
  • SunnyvaleTrash - December 10, 2011 10:21 a.m.

So happy to see love for Bulletstorm and Shadows of the Damned. This site got me interested in the games and I was disappointed by their poor sales. I hoped they would do well and we'd get some sequels, but now I'm going to be forever cynical about new IPs.
  • babyhenchy1 - December 10, 2011 10:01 a.m.

My Top 5: 1. Batman Arkham City (I have a nerdgasm just thinking about how awesome it is) 2. Dark Souls 3. Portal 2 4. Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim 5. Deus Ex: Human Revolution Haven't finished Skyward Sword yet. Bulletstorm is definitely a runner-up.
  • dekmaine - December 10, 2011 9:32 a.m.

OPINION TIME! To Gary Steinman: "character interactions were among the most believable I've encountered". I disagree. Rico looks comical in many cutscenes. Also, Killzone 3 has the most wtf(not in a good way) ending of any game this gen. To David Houghton: I don't quite understand the impressiveness of Bulletstorm and I don't see it as the next evolutionary step in the fps genre as as you said in your review. It is highly entertaining and the mechanics are solid for sure. The killshot system is also not gimmicky. I can see why it can be a favourite game but does it deserve a 10? I don't think so. To Hollander Cooper: I don't remember insane boss battles in Dead Space 2. The first Dead Space had great boss battles for sure, but the second one lacked bosses. To Sophia Tong: change To the Moon's score to a 9. You know you want to.
  • sgloomy - December 10, 2011 9:12 a.m.

I haven't played Skyrim nor Super Mario 3D land yet, but I'll have to go with Batman: Arkham City. I was expecting the game to be great, and somehow, it managed to exceed the high standards I had set for it, enough to make me not enjoy Uncharted 3 as much as i would have liked, purely because I kept comparing it the AC. but this list is pretty good, It makes me want to buy Skyrim today!!
  • Brutalicus - December 10, 2011 9:06 a.m.

I am going to have to say Dead Space 2. I agree that it represented the series stepping into full stride, and it's a top-notch action game that plastered my face into a D: for weeks. Plus you have to applaud Visceral for taking some risks--giving Isaac his own motivations/voice, increasing the scope of the game, and adding those breathless action setpieces. The biggest compliment I can give Dead Space is that it's in my top two franchises with Mass Effect.
  • profile0000 - December 10, 2011 9:02 a.m.

Oh my god, Grimm. I almost started crying. Thank you. I still haven't decided which game (Portal 2/Arkham City/Skyrim) is my personal favorite of the year. Give me some more time.
  • Net_Bastard - December 10, 2011 9:02 a.m.

Grimm's entry was amazing. For my top 5: 5. Bulletstorm 4. Saints Row: The Third 3. Sonic Generations 2. Hard Reset 1. Serious Sam 3: BFE The elaborate 4-hour long trolling attempt at the beginning, the amazing arena-like setpieces, and not to forget that it's a true PC game, makes Serious Sam 3 a winner to me.
  • Hurricrane - December 10, 2011 8:32 a.m.

Of course Grimm had the funniest and most unnecessarily sarcastic entry XD
  • camilo-hache - December 10, 2011 8:24 a.m.

Batman Arkham City BY FAR. Followed by Pixeljunk Shooter 2, Metal Gear Solid HD Collection, Uncharted 3 and Rayman Origins.
  • ncurry2 - December 10, 2011 7:57 a.m.

I was hoping inFamous 2 would get a nod because I'm getting it for Christmas and am hoping its a great game. Man, I really need to get a 3DS soon, mario and mario kart just seem amazing.
  • wedgie - December 10, 2011 11:52 a.m.

I really enjoyed inFAMOUS 2, and am actually replaying it right now. This just goes to show you how many great games really did come out this year. But inFamous 2 is in my top 3 favorite of 2011 (behind UC3 and batman AC), so hope that helps.
  • thedonut - December 10, 2011 12:04 p.m.

Don't worry, Infamous 2 is a great game. Way better than the first one, even. And I liked the first one a lot. The characters show more personality and are more interesting and Cole doesn't have that stupid raspy voice(even though, I personally think he should've had it with "evil" karma). There's also so much to do like side missions and UGC, as well as the new DLC and a reason to play through the game more than once. I haven't done so yet, honestly. But, from how everything is set as far as karma-based powers, storyline, character interaction, etc. it looks like it's worth it's replay value.