We Recommend

• Qujeaux - October 24, 2013 2:51 p.m.

Oh yeah! And the Blunderbuss in Red Dead Redemption Undead Nightmare. Load it with spare parts from vanquished foes' bodies, then vaporize the next poor jerk to cross your path.
  • Qujeaux - October 24, 2013 2:46 p.m.

Hands down, the shotgun from Perfect Dark on n64... With a double blast as the secondary function to make you feel safe, even in a level swarming with the most ruthless and invincible Darksims. You could literally hear almost every pellet tearing through their flesh. Classic.
  • mademanrdo - October 24, 2013 8:19 p.m.

correct
  • Waldo - October 25, 2013 5:13 p.m.

Darn right brotha.
  • bamb0o-stick - October 24, 2013 2:36 p.m.

Shotgun from Metal Slug. It just evaporated everything in its cloud blast with a satisfying explosion.
  • winner2 - October 24, 2013 1:48 p.m.

I personally loved using a shotgun in crackdown, but I can't remember which one. Maybe it was the "Dempsey" or something I think
  • Pruman - October 24, 2013 1:44 p.m.

I went through this entire list looking for F.E.A.R.'s shotgun, which is my favorite example of this. It looked really cool, possessed loud, meaty report and reload sounds, and had the awesome tendency to remove heads and limbs when used at point-blank range. It also looked pretty ****ing sweet when it caused every non-living thing you hit with it to spark and explode in slow motion. Also, the absence of UT's Flak Cannon is shameful. It's a shotgun AND a grenade launcher!
  • GR_DavidHoughton - October 25, 2013 9:42 a.m.

I left out the F.E.A.R. shotgun. I can believe I left out the bloody F.E.A.R. shotgun. *mortified look* Officially add it to the list in your mind, along with a swathe of gushing hyperbole. It's one of the best and I am a forgetful fool.
  • antiAntag0nist - October 24, 2013 1:24 p.m.

The Double Barreled Shotgun in Turok 2 was pretty cool. Explosive shells was the way to go with this gun. There was a very satisfying felling in blasting a gaping hole in the chest of a Dinosoid, good times.
  • GoldenEagle1476 - October 24, 2013 12:56 p.m.

I don't know why, but I always loved the shotguns from Left 4 Dead.
  • Satchurated - October 24, 2013 12:53 p.m.

Yeah I think the Gnasher shotgun from Gears of War was definitely better than the sawed off. With the sawed off, if you're not directly in front and not accurate, you're pretty much screwed. Whereas the Gnasher, you had more shots and with a quick active reload, you're pretty unstoppable.
  • bobob101 - October 24, 2013 12:50 p.m.

The weapons of the Borderlands series are always ridiculus, but if I had to pick one for this list, it would be the SWORDSPLOSION!!!! Why, because instead of bullets it shoots exploding swords. Duh.
  • ObliqueZombie - October 24, 2013 12:39 p.m.

God I love me some shotguns. Halo 4's is my favorite design of one in a good long time. Great look, sound, and feel. My personal favorite, though, is the Gnasher. I loved that thing across three games and many MP matches.
  • StrayGator - October 24, 2013 12:31 p.m.

despite having a wide array of inventive shotguns throughout Borderlands, in my humble opinion SLEDGE'S SHUTGON IS THE SHOTGUNNIEST OF THEM ALL IT IS BIG LOUD SLOW PRIMITIVE DEVESTAATING IN POINT BLANK AND BEComes completely ineffective aimed at targets more than 3 feet away. also, Flak Cannon. seriously, what were you thinking? I'd take it over Q3's sg every time. Hell, for me UT only had the Flak, some weapons you use when you run out of flak ammo and the redeemer.
  • NightlordKrusnik - October 24, 2013 noon

Where is the M13 Semi-Automatic Shotgun from the original Killzone? 8 rounds before reloading, single shot primary, double shot secondary.... but when you really need to make something dead the nice little 'cheat' to press both fire buttons and fire all three shots. Pure Bliss
  • bamit11 - October 24, 2013 11:22 a.m.

I think Fallout 3's Terrible Shotgun, the unique variant of the normal Combat Shotgun, should be on this list. It looks like a freaking PPSH and can kill a Super Mutant Behemoth in one shot if done correctly. That thing is a monster.
  • tomasfr89 - October 24, 2013 10:57 a.m.

Borderlands' Boom Stick: Holy crap, it shoots rockets! Painkiller's Shotgun/Ice Gun: who needs reloading? Killing Floor's Dragon Breath: incendiary bullets? YES. Unreal Tournament's Flak Cannon: the only gun you'll ever need. Blood 2's Sawed-off Shotgun: dual-wielding carnage! Another day, another corpse...
  • Technomancer - October 24, 2013 10:28 a.m.

Seriously, 13 examples to choose from in Mass Effect 3 and not one of them made this list? The Reegar shoots cone lightning, the Krogan Claymore is a roar of death to anything in its sights and the Piranha's rapid-fire shreds enemies like the proverbial feeding frenzy. None of them made this list? Then there's the absurd variety of shotguns in Borderlands 1&2, each with their own little twist on the standard formula.
  • Elitepwnsface - October 24, 2013 10:14 a.m.

Totally left out Combat Evolved shot gun. That shotty spread total chaos in the first Halo
  • john-repole - October 24, 2013 10:11 a.m.

I don't know how you can include 3 pretty much identical archaic shotguns, that neglect physics, over the flak gun which is one of the most innovative of the shotguns in gaming. Alternate "slug/lobbed" rounds and projectiles that bounce around walls are way more innovative than the many reskins included on here. When I think "finest" I tend to include innovation, effectiveness, and creativeness in my justification rather than colors and sounds.