Topics

wEiRd

We Recommend

• brickman409 - February 1, 2013 3:46 p.m.

how about the doors from mappy or hotel Mario?
  • Fox_Mulder - February 1, 2013 8:43 p.m.

I hate you. I had forgotten about Hotel Mario and all it's infamous horribleness. I am now reenlightened, and will cry myself to sleep until I forget about Hotel Mario again.
  • Elijah_106670 - February 2, 2013 9:47 a.m.

I really, really thought that the doors from Mappy would be in there. It's pretty much the only gameplay mechanic you have in Mappy. Opening and closing doors is your only button. It's great.
  • shawksta - February 1, 2013 3:12 p.m.

Aweesome list and the descriptions were even better.
  • SurrealBrouhaha - February 1, 2013 3:11 p.m.

The Doors were probably in one of the Rock Band/ Guitar Hero games right? I think we can all agree that this should count.
  • CitizenWolfie - February 6, 2013 12:47 p.m.

Thinking outside the box, I like it!
  • CUFCfan616 - February 1, 2013 2:01 p.m.

the Half Life door the G-Man offers for you to step through to gain 'employment'? Also, if you're going GTA I'd also mention the doors to your safe house from GTAIII onwards that magically make the cops forget all about you.
  • GoldenEagle1476 - February 1, 2013 12:57 p.m.

I always loved the sound that the Doom doors made.
  • MetroidPrimeRib - February 1, 2013 12:51 p.m.

No Fog Door?
  • JarkayColt - February 1, 2013 11:50 a.m.

Nice list. Although the suspense in opening a Zelda Boss Chamber is always cool, personally, I would've expected the Door of Time to be on here. But that's just me. Opening that door essentially allows Ganondorf to take over the world, so...y'know...nothing too cataclysmic. Also, MegaMan's Robot Master doors, because everyone has the inexplicable impulse to jump through them.
  • Sinosaur - February 1, 2013 1:15 p.m.

If opening the door allows evil to take over the world, then it is not one of the greatest doors, it is one of the worst doors.
  • JarkayColt - February 1, 2013 1:33 p.m.

That's true, allowing the world to succumb to evil is pretty bad. But hey, if that door was never opened, no one would ever have laid eyes upon the marvelous sight of the Master Sword resting in its majestic pedestal, and therefore also never have had the privilege of removing it; that timeless scene where Link grasps the blade and is overwhelmed by a strange power. Also, with no evil to destroy there is no epic adventure to be had, amirite?? So thanks, Link, for opening the Door of Time and plunging the world into darkness.
  • Fox_Mulder - February 1, 2013 8:49 p.m.

Such a beautiful retelling of that scene in Ocarina. Clearly, you love Zelda as much as I do. Hooray for common ground! I now feel closer to you than most people I've met face to face.
  • JarkayColt - February 2, 2013 11:10 a.m.

Shh! My feverish love of all things The Legend of Zelda...it's a secret to everybody!
  • Unoriginal - February 1, 2013 11 a.m.

This article was so effing amazingly interesting that I have now dropped out of college and am seeking to get a journalism degree so I can cover doors for the rest of my life in an attempt to match and pay tribute to the brilliance that was "The 34 greatest, most absurdly interesting doors in gaming".
  • metalgatesolid - February 1, 2013 10:54 a.m.

The doors the Midgets are are tied to in Borderlands 2
  • pl4y4h - February 1, 2013 9:24 a.m.

When i saw mario on the cover I was assuming you guys would've went with the Paper Mario Thousand Year Door. The door is great because it only opens every thousand years, and the final boss is in there.
  • DrFred79 - February 1, 2013 9:09 a.m.

I'm surprised to not see the Gates to Hell from Dante's Inferno, after the sculpture from Rodin. Great article anyway, as usual ;)
  • zelta38 - February 1, 2013 9:02 a.m.

Gamesradar, you're awesome, tonnes of excellent and unique ideas for features like these, terrific writing and even the screenshots are fitting. A suggestion if I may: please mention the name of the games the final picture is from (in this case it's Resident Evil, but in some cases it just isn't as obvious!) and that of all gallery-type articles where it is not immediately apparent, TinEye really can't find them all!
  • garnsr - February 1, 2013 8:23 a.m.

How about the doors in Okami with the demon locks, struggling not to have keys jammed into their eyeballs?