We Recommend

• tenrdrmer - July 30, 2013 8:46 p.m.

Everyone always leaves out GameSalad. Its a great 2D game engine that just keeps getting better. if you don't believe me check out gshelper.com and watch our tutorials. You can learn GameSalad in no time flat watching our tutorials. We also offer some great game assets you can use in your projects if you don't have someone who makes them for you.
  • VagrantHige - August 13, 2013 1:29 p.m.

My friend and I started using GameSalad but it was too constrained for us. I think it is great for someone starting out without any programming background, but you have to work within the constraints they already built. GameMaker at least let us right our own code for fine tuning and building unique mechanics that GS didn't seem to support (the free version at least).
  • zza900 - July 20, 2013 12:39 p.m.

what is the best 3d for scripting modeling and other stuff
  • blair-shawn - June 19, 2013 7:52 p.m.

I'm a huge Dota fun, it's hard for me to design games, that's far beyond my ability but I enjoy playing game, recording game and share on youtube, that's my style. SmartPixel helped a lot for my game video recording. http://www.smartpixel.com.
  • nagyhenne-balaba - July 4, 2012 11:55 p.m.

nice piece of article...but mine i had to use Ezvid it records or captures voice and screen simultaneously. It's a screen recorder & video editor at the same time. so really great for gameplay videos :D it's a freeware which is why im using it.. http://www.ezvid.com/
  • mikezhang3 - May 8, 2012 1:26 p.m.

has anyone tried Dark Flow before? it seems pretty cool. It has the ability to port to HTML5 as well as Windows. http://darkflow.net
  • berk-oz - January 1, 2012 11:27 a.m.

you should try basic game engine maybe like this : http://tinyurl.com/82e6fqh
  • sonnie460 - December 3, 2011 6:29 a.m.

thank you so much for this great list. I know I love to create different types of games and whatnot, and I've never even heard of half these programs. I've tryed out a few of them from the list, but still await to try out realm crafter for myself.
  • lordsarum - November 4, 2011 7:19 p.m.

hey guys if you interested in making your own games, Check this out: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c-YeMpozhHg
  • AmeliaGS - June 15, 2011 9 p.m.

GameSpark offers a series of online courses on how to make a video game using GameMaker - you learn how to create 6 games and they range from beginner (2D maze, racing) to intermediate and advanced (3D Scrolling, Arena). No programming knowledge required, and there's a free trial. http://www.gamesparkonline.com/
  • foxbat97 - February 4, 2011 3:36 a.m.

i dont know if anyone still gets on here but are there any RTS game creaters that are cheap or free? it doesnt matter how complex it is, even though i have no experience in programming, animation, and my only experience in modeling (which I am very fond of) is sketch-up.
  • mrmorozov987 - August 31, 2010 11:31 p.m.

Wow, this is great. I love the guys who work at Gamesradar, they come up with the coolest stuff. It always bugs the hell out of me whenever some major corporation with tons of resources (that we don't have) release a game with awful design (that we can fix).
  • Boozhah - June 18, 2010 2:31 p.m.

i don't have the patience to make my own game, but i have ideas such as a F2P MMORPG based off the Anime know world wide as Naruto and played like Oblivion. if you want, you could even put in a shop to purchase extras with real money. If anyone can successfully create this game, please send me the link, haha thanks
  • Esoremada - December 5, 2009 1 a.m.

Hey, I'm really into graphic design and recently started doing 3D modeling in Maya and ZBrush and whatnot. And now I want to move on to game design. Does most game making software support importing object (.obj) files? Because I want to do character rigging and modeling in Maya.
  • adent42 - April 11, 2009 2:07 a.m.

Another game creation software for Mac and non-programmers is GameSalad. http://gamesalad.com
  • sharifsta - January 24, 2009 7:54 p.m.

wow i have to give u that this is great im a animation designer at qantm if u want this as carrer i recamend go there any way this the best guide for free from what ive seen i just like to say great job
  • Blinder - January 19, 2009 4:35 a.m.

Blender is a fantastic program. I created this video just after following 2 tutorials: http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&videoid=45692216
  • MUSH-RUME - January 16, 2009 7:28 p.m.

Someone should make a game in which you can create your own games really easily e.g character creation is like that of city of heroes (for the characters clothes) except slightly better and their body like a cross between spore and sims. The weapons and items could just be created using simple drag 'n' drop tools (like the with the weapons you could just add and swap parts, choose the ammo type and style and additional features). If someone made a game like that they would sell friggin millions!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Furyspittles - January 16, 2009 6 a.m.

Thanks heaps for an awesome list. Stuff like this makes me love GamesRadar. Now if only i could be bothered to dedicating the time to this stuff...thats the area where i usually fall short. Very short.
  • JoeMasturbaby - January 16, 2009 3:16 a.m.

TYLER! mention Unreal Tournament Editor! its actually pretty easy to learn/use.
  • Wizrai - January 16, 2009 2:18 a.m.

I find this article amazing, as I use to spend some of my time with these apps, doing random doodles or piles of ideas which usually turns into projects. Knew a lot of those listed, but also found some very intersting ones. In the end, what matters is that you enjoy this work, it will always be frustrating, and doing it all by yourself won't help the progress, since you'll get a new idea to experiment with, and leave your current project, and so on...but still, thanks for the article, Tyler!