We Recommend

• SirNinja - June 12, 2013 12:10 p.m.

"we did a lot of testing, and a lot of consumer research, and we think we made a really good choice" Who the hell was Microsoft was testing on that brought them to such a poor conclusion? When Sony announced the PS4 would be playable offline and without authentication, the reactions spoke volumes. And now Microsoft responds by...telling people NOT to buy an Xbox One? They are practically bound and determined to lose this generation.
  • rainn'sgaydar - June 12, 2013 1:26 p.m.

I don't understand who they researched either. To me, it's clear Sony did what any company should do. They asked developers how they'd like the infrastructure set up. And they paid attention to consumers in regards to how we want to buy the system and its games. It's really that simple.
  • Tjwoods18 - June 12, 2013 12:06 p.m.

Just pouring salt on an already infected wound.
  • Evanesco - June 12, 2013 11:44 a.m.

The internet issues with the Xbox don't apply to me whatsoever because I'm always connected. But I refuse to ever get an Xbox One because of this attitude and the message behind the Xbox. Any company that gives you an ultimatum, ESPECIALLY in the face of better competition, is a company that doesn't deserve mine or anyone's money. I won't buy an Xbox both because it's a stupid decision, and as well because of the principle of not supporting a group of assholes.
  • tareq - June 12, 2013 11:40 a.m.

God what a massive pr cockup
  • Webplaybox - June 12, 2013 11:39 a.m.

The statement to play your 360 if you don't have a high speed connection actually felt like an insult. I want to play next gen games, not 360. I have a lot of issues with Xbox One. I do not want the Xbox One in the bedroom with me or even in the house after some recent national news. This machine can monitor everything in your house including all you do and say. It can see through your walls, calculated who is in your house and if your pulse is elevated. I wont go into why I need my privacy but its for good reason. And what if my connection goes down for any number of reasons. I want to play my games. Will I buy one? Of course I will even if its after the multiple design changes it will go through the next few years. I want a PS4 more. If Sony really wants to get on top of Microsoft they need to release the system at the same time as the X Box because people will buy the system over Xbox. Hands down. But. If people have to wait over anything longer than one month then we will pop for that Xbox anyway and the get the PS4 later.
  • Firepunch - June 12, 2013 11:56 a.m.

So you say all these things that you dislike about the Xbox One yet your still going to buy one, priorities.
  • Webplaybox - June 12, 2013 12:19 p.m.

I know lol.
  • Jonnypan - June 12, 2013 1:43 p.m.

Don't do it. Vote with your wallet, let Microsoft know that this sort of thing pisses you off, and that you won't stand for it. If enough of their fanbase does so, they'll have to change their attitude or drop out of the race altogether. Buy a Ps4, or even a PC; at the very least, wait. Pressure microsoft by not blindly buying their console against your better judgement. I implore you and everyone else still considering buying an Xbox next generation, to think about what allowing Microsoft to get away with these policies and "features" will do to the future of this industry. What doors this will open for Microsoft and other companies to try to get away with similar or even more draconian DRM schemes in the future. We as gamers have to stand up against them and show who's really in control of the video game industry; because, while they have to sell to us, we are not required to buy from them.
  • Firepunch - June 12, 2013 11:35 a.m.

Wow Microsoft you really hate places with crap internet.
  • Zzombie99 - June 12, 2013 11:32 a.m.

I've always liked the Xbox over the Playstation, but unless Microsoft is playing the mother of all jokes on us, there's no way I'm getting the Xbone. I know I'm not the only one that feels this way, either.
  • AqueousBoy - June 12, 2013 11:24 a.m.

Awesome, this works both ways. My internet connection is just fine, but if I don't want a console that insists on having one, I just won't get an Xbox One.
  • david-bunch - June 12, 2013 11:24 a.m.

Xbox one is gonna flop worse than the Wii U. I'd rather buy a Wii U just to play supersmash bros.. and enjoy my games offline. Then Buy a ps4 and play all the games i want on multiplayer for a fee less than 5$ a month compared to xbox gold being how much like 60$ per card? Forget it microsoft stick to computers.
  • FoxdenRacing - June 12, 2013 12:08 p.m.

Wii U isn't doing nearly as badly as it's getting a reputation for; their strategy is just wildly different from anything that's been tried before. They've effectively decided (no announcement, just inferred from their behavior to date) that AAA blockbusters aren't worth the trouble, aren't worth the risk, and aren't worth driving the system price way up for bleeding-edge hardware. So naturally, it's not doing as well as it could in the global market, 'cuz the west likes its hyper-budget blockbusters...but it's doing well enough in its target market, given the state of the global economy. They underestimated the number of early adopters, but sales will pick up when price cuts and the time-tested franchises start to roll in. And honestly, it's a smart move. AAA is getting riskier every year, as development and marketing budgets skyrocket and sales lag further and further behind...relying more and more on band-aids such as DLC, product placement, and exclusive bonuses [which the stores pay a hefty premium for] to keep them profitable. With a new generation starting, if the pattern holds true budgets are going to double...and the 1M, 5M, and 10M copies sold marks are just as hard to hit as they were 20 years ago. As for your questions: Plus is suspected to remain at $50 for a 1-year membership or $18 for a 3-month membership. Meanwhile, Live is $60 for 1 year, $25 for 3 months, or $10 for 1 month.
  • ZeroZmm - June 12, 2013 12:29 p.m.

Let's not forget that even if you don't get Plus you can still play online without paying.. So Plus..is literally a Plus..you pay for more.. With Live you pay for the same..
  • FoxdenRacing - June 12, 2013 12:40 p.m.

Online gaming is going Plus-only for PS4...but yeah, you're right. I looked into it [currently a 360 owner with Live], and you get a ton of extras for the money. Featured full-game demo periods [not unlike Steam's weekend trial promotions], free digital copies of older games, and discounts on digital purchases. Both systems have cloud saves [though Plus gives you twice the space]. What impresses me though isn't just what you get for paying...it's what you get for not paying. Live puts party chat [cross-game group chat] and additional-fee subscription services [such as Netflix] behind the Live paywall. I can't find any info on party chat on Plus, but I'm highly appreciative of services like Netflix that have a fee of their own not being behind a paywall.
  • Panda_of_Doom - June 12, 2013 1:23 p.m.

Live is doing the free games now and they've had there sales of the week for awhile now.
  • Panda_of_Doom - June 12, 2013 1:17 p.m.

It bugs the crap out of me when people only say "less then $5 a month" it's $50 a year, which is what live used to cost. Stop saying less then 5 just to make it sound better.
  • FoxdenRacing - June 12, 2013 11:21 a.m.

That's right up there with Sony's "Don't like the high price? Work harder, then you can afford one" remark about PS3's launch price. Microsoft's arrogance about One knows no limits... Seriously though...what company in their right mind is willing to say "Your money isn't green enough"? MS is gambling that one specific subset of the total market is able to carry them to victory, which is like insisting the middle of a Venn Diagram is bigger than the whole thing. At this rate, 40-50M consoles sold by the start of 9th gen is an ambitious target. There are tons of people that will still buy it...those that don't care about what's angering everyone else, the sycophants, and those that can't go without [specific deal-maker game here]...but there are also tons of people saying 'no thanks'.
  • SirManguydude - June 12, 2013 11:37 a.m.

So it is arrogant not to advertise something that needs an internet connection to people who don't have an internet connection? That is like Blizzard advertising WoW to people without internet.
  • BladedFalcon - June 12, 2013 11:59 a.m.

That's a very stupid analogy. I was about to explain why, but fuck it, if you're stupid enough not to see the difference by yourself, then I won't bother.