We Recommend

• thefarkinator - April 22, 2010 7:23 p.m.

For me, it's really how the boss requires you to think on your feet and figure out how to beat it on your own. "hit the weak point for MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMASSIVE DAMAGE!!! bosses are getting old. How about something that makes you utilize the new toys you pick up on the way? (Metroid & Zelda come to mind...)
  • rjones2010 - April 22, 2010 7:01 p.m.

yeh i agree dey rely suck....but borderlands has some prety good ones
  • thekeith82 - April 22, 2010 6:57 p.m.

zelda and metroid are the only games i feel have ever really nailed boss fights. the proper balance of challenge and satisfaction is incredibly important. my least favourite ever? general sodding raam at the end of the first gears of war. took me about six hours of nonstop plugging away to put that cheap assed bullet sponge into the ground.
  • Conman93 - April 22, 2010 6:56 p.m.

Zelda and GOW should the basis of all bosses from now on. I think bosses should stick to fantasy themed games and not non fantasy eg uncharted. In non fantasy or sci-fi games the bosses are usually just a guy with a gun. Am I the only one who found Volcano Wesker in Resi 5 kind of uninspiring..
  • DarkWithin - April 22, 2010 6:21 p.m.

It was epic punching Jubileus into the sun but the actual fight was quite easy because the attacks were easy to dodge. Anyways I think a boss needs variety in its attacks and not just the same old attack pattern repeated over and over.
  • gilgamesh310 - April 22, 2010 6:18 p.m.

The final encounter with General Shepard in modern warfare 2 is an example of how boss battles should be done especially in the fps genre. It felt very believable and epic and evoked more emotion in me than the controversial 'no russian' part. I was glad bioshock 2 didn't have a final boss considering how lame the final boss in the first one was.
  • nightasasin - April 22, 2010 6 p.m.

Bosses should be like the ones in Demon's Souls, just make the last boss incredibly epic though, as the old one wasn't that exciting. They should be shadow of colossus epic.
  • krabsich - April 22, 2010 5:32 p.m.

I loved playing Demon's Souls and couldn't wait to fight the Old One in one last, incredibly difficult battle. And then you get a crippled demon to beat up and a choice of whether or not you want to put the Old One to sleep (like ZZZ's sleep, not what happened to your arthritic dog sleep).
  • Patius - April 22, 2010 5:27 p.m.

we need more Zelda style or shadow of the colossus style battles.
  • Ded - April 22, 2010 5:25 p.m.

You punch God into the sun in Bayonetta.. how much more epic do you want? :P
  • WillisTron - April 22, 2010 5:19 p.m.

Zelda always seems to deliver on boss fights
  • Moondoggie1157 - April 22, 2010 5:17 p.m.

God of War III had some amazing boss battles, but I felt like it fell short towards the final battle... I mean come on, it's the finale... Supposed to wrap everything up... I dunno, I thought it could have been made more "epic"...
  • db1331 - April 22, 2010 5:17 p.m.

Don't talk to me about lame bosses until you've beaten Risen. The whole time I was playing it I couldn't believe how much fun it was, and I couldn't wait to start my second play through as a different class and faction. Then I met the final boss. I will never be the same as a person again. As soon as the credits rolled I uninstalled the game and haven't been back since.
  • JackSkellingtonsSkin - April 22, 2010 5:09 p.m.

Boss fights that don't give the enemy 200 times more health than the standard grunt and then cause you to shoot, shoot, dodge, shoot, shoot, dodge, shoot, shoot, shoot, take cover and repeat until enemy is dead.
  • NorwegianKingOfNames - April 22, 2010 5:08 p.m.

I THINK (and I may have totally missed the point here) that Nathan wants a boss battle to be memorable, rather than simply a challenging sequence of attack patterns. Another one that comes to mind is Fable 2. At the end I was getting that sort of adrenaline rush you get before you face a boss, but instead you just had to shoot him once. It was unique, memorable, and in completely keeping with the tone of the game. I.e, the boss didn't suddenly take on super powers.
  • BMW89 - April 22, 2010 5:02 p.m.

I like boss battles that feel organic - like I have options on how I want to take down the boss - and feel in tune with how the rest of the game has trained me to approach combat. I'm not sure I've ever had a boss battle that I absolutely loved because it seems like however good the enemy AI is in the rest of the game, boss battles tend to turn into grind-fests against very predictable attack patterns. So yeah, I'd like to see developers take some risks with their bosses. @ventanger: E=mc^2=BRILLIANT!
  • Metroidhunter32 - April 22, 2010 5 p.m.

Best boss battles feel hard, but really aren't. So that way you get the "Oh god yes, I won" without the controler going through the TV. TBH I've only ever enountered 1-2 of these, but they're memorable.
  • Corsair89 - April 22, 2010 5 p.m.

I agree for the most part that boss battles have been more irritating than epic in recent years, especially if the game repeats boss battles like in Bayonetta. But at least God of War III had some pretty good fights.
  • Eureka - April 22, 2010 4:38 p.m.

A good boss battle for me is something that is challenging, but not cheap challenging like attacks you can't block or dodge. Lost Planet 2's Akrid come to mind, they can be tough at first but not cheap, plus they are just fun to fight and kill. Granted, I've only fought two different bosses in LP2, but from what I've seen of the other bosses, they should be a blast as well.
  • ventanger - April 22, 2010 4:37 p.m.

Hmmm... there's usually a direct correlation of the Epicness of a boss fight to how meaningfully compelling the plot is, as expressed in the formula E = mc^2. Go ahead and use that formula, just make sure you credit me.