Topics

Valve

We Recommend

• sorcanna - May 12, 2011 10:49 a.m.

ok I've not played portal 2 yet but i love articals like this. I did spot something in the turret song video though maybe some one esle can id what is in the last room passed before the main room with all the turrets singing. looks a little like something from half-life distroing turrets, its about 21sec in to the video in the artical. any thoughts?
  • VMPSaberwolf - May 12, 2011 9:29 a.m.

http://www.herbertfilby.com/images/fluxportal.jpg In reference to my post above, I guess I'm not the only one.
  • VMPSaberwolf - May 12, 2011 9:27 a.m.

Apologies in advance if this was repeated by someone else already. I noticed that when you got to the school projects, there was a box with lights resembling a portal inside. Nothing strange right? Well it reminded me of the box from Back to the Future, the one where the Flux Capacitor is stored. Granted the lights resemble a portal rather than an upside down Y, but I thought it was a nice nod to another sci-fi genre nonetheless.
  • JohnnyApplesperm - May 12, 2011 8:04 a.m.

Holy crap this game is friggin deep. I knew about a lot of these, but the translated turret song, the vitrified test chambers, and Aeschylus Aeschylus hiding in the Cave & Caroline portrait took me by surprise. Nice work Chaz!
  • rjjones - May 12, 2011 7:40 a.m.

Im pretty sure I remember seeing that headcrab and laughing. It was the first trash flooded elevator tube in the game if memory serves... and the audio of the cores will entertain me for days
  • GamesRadarCharlieBarratt - May 12, 2011 6:37 a.m.

@Ivan4ik Did you know... in the raw files for Portal 2, the fat turret is named "turret_wife"?
  • Ivan4ik - May 12, 2011 5:45 a.m.

A very interesting article! Good job! You missed a couple appearances of a fat turret in game.
  • rybell - May 12, 2011 5:30 a.m.

I seem to recall that when I was in the test with the option to sneak a companion cube, I saw atlas stick his head out from behind one of the panels by the lift for a second and then quickly pull it back in
  • CoryM1134 - May 12, 2011 5:08 a.m.

Nolan North is the Bruce Campbell of games.
  • PorkoMan - May 12, 2011 4:54 a.m.

Also we need to keep in mind that "One day they woke me up, so I could live forever." The existence of Aperture's stasis technology opens up a whole new realm of possibilities. Chell could have been born to Caroline before her consciousness was uploaded to GLaDOS and abandoned. If she was put into stasis as an infant, she could have been discovered and adopted by Aperture employees around 2000, and therefore able to be taken to work with her adoptive parents.
  • ashtonwatson - May 12, 2011 4:47 a.m.

A yo this was kinda Epic... while reading Chell therotical orgin section I felt this wonderful sensation in my spine... man that was a good read!! thanks Charlie
  • Joshkdmw - May 12, 2011 4:36 a.m.

@Charlie Barratt Not a problem! And you made my day by acknowledging me.
  • clubsandwich - May 12, 2011 4:27 a.m.

Gordan Freeman is Caroline and Cave's son. Hence his "accident" or "attack" at black mesa in HL1. boom.
  • bamtan - May 12, 2011 4:22 a.m.

Those links to Greek mythology blew my mind. I'm a big fan of ancient history and myths and it's so cool that Valve would basically re-tell these stories in game form. Those brilliant bastards...
  • GamesRadarCharlieBarratt - May 12, 2011 4:15 a.m.

@Joshkdmw Thanks for the info - I don't mind being corrected by a "that guy" who knows what he's talking about.
  • DrIntrigue - May 12, 2011 3:51 a.m.

I found 'Exile Vilify' in the game but kinda glossed over it. So, thanks for the link, I now think I love that song. And the background image on their site is perfect.
  • Joshkdmw - May 12, 2011 3:49 a.m.

Don't wanna be "that guy", but on Page 3, the article states that Aeschylus wrote 'Prometheus Unbound'. This is inaccurate. Aeschylus wrote 'Prometheus Bound'. It was Percy Shelley who wrote 'Prometheus Unbound', wich is a very different story than Aeschylus' work. Source: English degree, studied Greek Mythology.
  • Xtapolapopotamus - May 12, 2011 3:40 a.m.

Great list! I missed out on quite a few of these. The Caroline/Chell stuff is great, and I really think they did a great job expanding on GLaDOS as a character. Also, Nolan North voicing the defective turrets and cores was amazing. The guy deserves far more money and recognition than he gets.
  • ThatGuyFromTV - May 12, 2011 3:32 a.m.

The "Caroline means free man" thing has got me thinking, since Cave and Caroline had a kid (who was Chell) and when they had a kid it was a while back, like maybe 1960's to the 1980's... and Gordon Freeman also got pulled into science as a theoretical physicist at Black Mesa who accidentally sparked the potential end of humanity, and also got pulled into the future about 20 years or so if i remember correctly... what if Gordon Freeman also wound up being Cave and Caroline's child? What if he's Chell's brother??
  • GamesRadarCharlieBarratt - May 12, 2011 3:31 a.m.

@aegodbold You're forgetting that Chell was adopted. Both GLaDOS and Wheatley mention this multiple times - yes, they lie about stuff like her weight, but the orphan thing is brought up way too many times to be completely fabricated. I can't explain the gap of time between Cave dying (presumably in the late '70s) and "Bring Your Daughter to Work Day" (2000-2009), but I bet with a bit more information, Valve could. Chell might have been conceived after Cave's death (a man who would try to upload his brain to a computer so he could live forever would almost certainly leave behind some frozen chromosomes) or Chell might have been held in stasis for awhile (she didn't age at all during her 999,999,999 days in the hotel room). The Reddit thread I linked to contains a ton more theories on how Cave could be Chell's father, but I wouldn't be surprised or disappointed if he wasn't. It's the Caroline-Chell relationship that I really want to be true.