We Recommend

• Cyberninja - September 13, 2013 7:06 a.m.

I don't get all the comparisons all the games are going look almost exactly the same like they did last time. There is no need to get into my specs are better then yours because I don't believe anyone buys for specs alone but for the games.
  • Shinn - September 13, 2013 7:20 a.m.

Yeah true, but if the console were that much more powerful it would make Microsoft's cloud computation less of an advantage. Anonymous sources (aka new age marketing and pr) like this are really just the companies taking shots at each other. With so few exclusives on each system that aren't terrible, I would imagine there will be a lot of people making their decisions based on which console will suck less 8 or 9 years down the track.
  • Cyberninja - September 13, 2013 7:34 a.m.

The thing is I think people are already decided at which they are getting, like even before it was announced I had no interest in a Nextbox and knew I was getting PS4 because I always get both Sony and Nintendo's consoles.
  • Shinn - September 13, 2013 8:25 a.m.

True, but reports like this are intended to swing people who aren't decide. I'm a PC gamer, so I'll pick whichever is closest to the experience I prefer. It's Halo vs the PS4 and everything else it has to offer for me.
  • Eightboll812 - September 13, 2013 9:40 a.m.

The cloud computing promise was someone smoking dope in the marketing department. The propeller heads have already dissected the claims and refuted any possibility of truth. http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-in-theory-can-xbox-one-cloud-transform-gaming So unless MS is trying to sell the idea of us helping them discover the next prime number, the 5 billionth digit of Pi, or a Folding@Home type thing, that cloud is not providing any computing that your gaming will find the least bit useful.
  • Shinn - September 14, 2013 10:12 p.m.

Yes, Microsoft has more or less lied about the abilities of their cloud services, but it can be used practically for things like serverside computation of ai and weather affects. Now these things are not at all new (despite Microsoft's claims), any game could do this, but the point is that it is possible for Microsoft to offload some of their work to their servers. The PS4 being 50% faster would more than make up for the additional computation power, which is why leaks such as these happen. Whether you or I know what this actually means is irrelevant to their pr, this is aimed entirely towards the unsure masses which will pick a console based on which numbers seem better to them.
  • Eightboll812 - September 15, 2013 12:13 a.m.

It is possible to do some of those things in the cloud, but what a lot of people are overlooking is that since Microsoft has backed off the "always online" policy, devs are likely going to shy away from expecting that people are always connected for single player games. It's one thing to build your single player game (ahem Forza 5) to expect that MS has taken care of making sure you are online while playing so you can use the cloud for certain tasks, and another thing to build your game not knowing if they are connected and then having to code it two ways for those online and those offline. Most will say, "eff it" I'm just going to assume they are offline and make this simple. And then the only thing "cloudy" about it might be cloud storage type tasks (again, ahem, Forza 5 post u-turn). The other thing that most people have overlooked about this "it's possible to offload.... to the cloud" claim, is that most of these things are computing non-real time effects and then reloading it back as a data set, correct? However, it's entirely likely that the CPU sitting right there is more than sufficient to do the same task. When playing a game, maybe the GPU is very taxed, but I don't believe many if any games will be running all 8 cores of the CPU anywhere near max performance for any sustained duration.