We Recommend

• ss2goku - January 16, 2013 1:20 p.m.

Hey I have to agree on a lot of things I've played them all and I been playing final fantasy XIII 2 for the ps3 but I do have a question how do I beat Caius Ballad in Oerba. But it does say use Relentless Assault but I don't know how do I have to learn it or what can anybody help me please?
  • JeffMiller1984 - January 19, 2013 8:37 p.m.

Go Noel Commando, Serah Ravager and make sure you have a good monster as a healer, I used a Cait Sith. With most big baddies in FF games you need to use spells to increase your party's strength, magic, defense, etc... and the opposite against the boss. Forget entirely about that in this fight. Just attack relentlessly with Noel and Serah, let the monster heal and if that doesn't work you need to grind and increase those 2 stats. If you try and go the standard route of defeating a boss Caius will just keep healing himself to full strength while you're setting up your protective spells. I got owned by him my first 2 tries before I realized my approach, the standard approach, wasn't working. Spent maybe 30 minutes grinding and getting a crystarium upgrade and put it all in Commando for Noel and Ravager for Serah. Went back and ended the fight in about 2 minutes, if that. Just get him staggered as fast as you can and make sure you're monster is a good healer.
  • ss2goku - January 22, 2013 12:01 p.m.

Ok bcuz I got lvl 20 pulse knight Noel is lvl 18 and so is serah but I have that ugly looking snail or slug creature that also heals would I Need to max him out or use cait seith bcuz I'm not really sure on how to best Caius you know?
  • JeffMiller1984 - January 22, 2013 7:38 p.m.

If you're unable to just pound him you're probably not strong enough. I don't remember exactly how strong my characters were, but I remember spending time battling around the choco-lady to buy some phoenix downs and gain CP and that by the time I reached that Caius fight I had fully expanded my ATB and com/rav bonuses for Noel/Serah which was 5 or 6 crystarium upgrades. Also make sure you have the most powerful weapons available, it makes a big difference. That's just the way I went about it though. I had though leveled my cait sith as much as I to that point which was a life saver for that battle and for a large portion of the game.
  • connor-green - January 4, 2013 7:40 p.m.

OK i have to disagree because i know VII lacked alot but i still loved it more than any others and i played 5 different final fantasys before i played 7 so my list is 1. VII 2. X(mainly cause of storyline) 3. XII(cause i took out the most annoying thing in every final fantasy the stupid transition to and from battles) 4.VIII 5.IX 6.IV 7.VI 8.V and those are all the ones i have played so
  • iluspook - January 24, 2013 7:30 a.m.

The fact that all of your top 5 are games from PS1 on, I'm thinking you're showing your age as someone in their mid-20's or earlier. I completely understand that games of "that generation" (I hate boxes/labels) will appeal to you more than the "old-school" games, so your opinion rightly varies. However, though I can understand your case for VII, X, and even XII, I will never for the life of me understand how you can, in your right mind, put VIII above IX, IV, AND VI. We each have our opinions, though.
  • juba-ziani - May 31, 2013 12:32 p.m.

I do agree that I would never put VIII on the same level as IX, IV and VI. But to me, VIII is far superior to VII, X and XII. Most people did not like it because of the enemies levelling up at the same time as you, allowing you to finish the game by avoiding every non-boss battle. True. But if you decide to play the game seriously, you can only be astonished by the story - not the characters though, I want to slap Seifer and Zell at least as much as Tidus -, the art, the music (Eyes on me is on my top 5 of FF songs, obviously, but the rest of the soundtrack is - in my opinion - really good too), and the gameplay. The combat system based on stealing magic and associating it in the best possible way to optimize the desired statistics, the system of limited abilities obtainable though G-forces, and - in particular - the limit break system gives a strategic depth to FFVIII that exists in no other FF. I do agree that you don't necessarily need this depth and the game can be easily finished though - for example - automatic association of magic - but once again, if you decide to play the game seriously, you get a unique and rewarding experience.
  • thelegendaryX - January 1, 2013 5:41 p.m.

Nostalgia aside (because my favorites for that reason are 6 and 8), I think FF12 was the best without contest. Everything the series ever did right came together for that game (Seemingly by accident, because the only thing good about 13 was that it looked so pretty). The only flaw I can think of that 12 definitely falls prey to is that the contents of the "treasure chests" are unreliable. If I take the time to play a game twice, I expect to know exactly where a particular weapon or accessory will be (and not have to be wearing something specific for it to show up!) All things considered, 12 is definitely the best they've ever come out with. I don't like it any more than you guys do, but we have to be honest here :P
  • anotherjmc - December 17, 2012 5:28 a.m.

I completely agree with the number one. I played the game when I was 10, I saw a friend playing FFV on the SNES, and wanted to play it as well, but then discovered that FFVI was out lol. I think all the arguments were already mentioned, I just want to emphasize the quality of the soundtrack: I played the Japanese version, so I did not understand any of the dialogues, but with a simplefied guidebook in my own language I was able to know what was more or less going on. But the soundtrack actually carried the story and the characters amazingly well!! I discovered this only after many years while playing a ROM in English and realized that I did not miss out on too much of the story despite not knowing Japanese.
  • Oathbetrayer - November 27, 2012 12:18 a.m.

Ok, I have played all of the Final Fantasy games except the PSP and Game Boy ect... I am a master of game taste :p The best Final Fantasy games hands down are FFX and FF8. Both of the games make me feel as if I wish I was in that fantasy world. Great characters, bosses, story, interface. And the sphere grid is the best leveling system by far. FF7 is over-rated just because of Cloud and Sephiroth, they are great characters but they can't carry the entire game to "the best." The worst FF game is definitely FFX-2. And any game after FFX is garbage.
  • MrCollns - December 25, 2012 10:20 a.m.

I completely disagree, FFXII was a far better game than FFX and FF8 and this was released after FFX-2 also.The fact that most FF players don't like XII is because they gave up through the game and did not get to a stage where the game developes into a wonderful variety of landscapes and challenges for character development which prolongs the game play dramatically and makes the game more enjoyable than any other FF game by a huge margin.Unlike other FF games there was actually a level of difficulty in XII which required more than one brain cell to defeat the advanced monsters.Little kids easily complete the other games in the franchise but would not be able to finish completely XII because of the standard of difficulty which only the more experienced gamers overcome.The free roaming capabilities is also far ahead other early JRPG games.
  • iluspook - January 24, 2013 7:35 a.m.

I was surprised by how much I liked XII. I think VI, IV, and IX are better, but after that, XII is right in the discussion. I also found the battle system very refreshing; it didn't turn me off nearly to the degree that it has others!
  • iluspook - January 24, 2013 7:33 a.m.

VIII? Over the others? Really? Hey, if that's what floats your boat, then good on ya!
  • js_basilio - August 21, 2012 6:12 a.m.

my best favorite 2D Final Fantasy games are: 1st: Final Fantasy VI (Advance) 2nd: Final Fantasy IV (The Complete Collection) 3rd: Final Fantasy V (Advance) my worst favorite 2D Final Fantasy games are: 1st: Final Fantasy II (Original NES, not the PS1 or PSP version) 2nd: Final Fantasy III (Original NES, not the DS version) 3rd: Final Fantasy XII: Revenant Wings my best favorite 3D Final Fantasy games are: 1st: Final Fantasy VII (2012 PC Version) 2nd: Final Fantasy VIII (PS1) 3rd: Final Fantasy X-2 International + Last Mission my worst favorite 3D Final Fantasy games are: 1st: Final Fantasy XIV 2nd: Final Fantasy XII 3rd: Final Fantasy XIII (Xbox 360 version)
  • farreach - August 20, 2012 7:43 p.m.

8 was my favorite and i think 8 was the best
  • iluspook - January 24, 2013 7:37 a.m.

I see this opinion from time to time, but I'd love to know why. What about VIII was better than the others for you? It had its moments and was a fine game on its own, with some unique distinctions (I got way more enamoured by the card game than I ever thought possible), but I'd love to see what merits place it at the top of one's FF chart. :)
  • Horizun - July 30, 2012 1:36 a.m.

It should be said that Final Fantasy games are things that have to be played in their infancy in order to feel the full impact of the game and the technology it's presented on. We all know that FF games VII and higher are much different than VI and lower and we all know that a lot of people had never touched a FF game before VII and that's fine, but you can't jump into the series several sequels in, play the sequels that follow, and THEN go back and play the older ones just to experience them. The impact will be dramatically lessened and you'll likely walk away a little disappointed and wondering what the hype was about. In other words, unless you've played mosts or all of the FF games around the time that they first hit the market then you're opinion carries little to no weight because it's the initial emotional impact of that first (and usually second) playthrough coupled with the fact of how our perception of a game is vastly affected by the technology of it's time that ultimately defines a person's view of any FF entry. I'm sure this will piss off alot of the FF VII bandwagon jumpers but oh well.
  • Fidget - August 2, 2012 2:35 a.m.

You shouldn't assume so much. I grew up on FFVII, VIII, IX, and later X. I didn't start playing the later ones until I was older, and I think IV and VI are every bit as good as the rest of them. Not all of us young'ns need fancy graphics to be impressed. ;]
  • Gray_Fox - October 12, 2012 10:19 a.m.

That is a flawed concept. I didn't heavily get into Final Fantasy games until XII. I always watched them, but never played them or even experienced them. I then played XIII, right after XII. I then went back and played Final Fantasy X, VIII, and IX. Final Fantasy X is by far one of my favorite Final Fantasies and VIII is a close second. I played those games during the later part of 2000's, so your concept is false. Anyone who has admiration for a great storyline and a great concept can play in any age. My little brother loves when I play Final Fantasy X and he was raised in the age of Call of Duty, so go figure.
  • iluspook - January 24, 2013 7:42 a.m.

I think this certainly IS the case with many people, however it all depends on one's mindset when approaching the game. If you're constantly thinking about how poor the graphics are, and how you could be playing another FF, then it's impossible to get emotionally attached since that suspension of disbelief isn't happening. However, there are those that are able to take older games on their merits, even when weened on 32-bit plus gaming, and fully accept the world. Those are the gamers that are rewarded for heeding their "forefather" classics. I completely understand your point of view, and even agree with you, with the exception being that everyone cannot fall under this one label. A great many, perhaps, but certainly not everyone. :)