Topics

Top 7

We Recommend

• Yeager1122 - August 18, 2009 11:43 p.m.

Everyones very on edge today geez anyway good article.
  • Hexar - August 18, 2009 10:42 p.m.

@ The_Lurcher Reading is pretty hard isn't it. Heaven forbid I would have the option to read 3000 characters (remember it's optional, and those with basic reading skills may want to move along as this was an adult comment). "If you didn't think the Gamesradar team where right about what they believed where good ideas that is fine that's your opinion but please keep it to yourself or at least give an example of what you would like to see rather than complaining and nit-picking." Yeah first off I didn't say they "where" wrong about any ideas they "believed" in. You obviously didn't read my post, so for you, since reading comprehension seems to be a bit of a stretch, I'll summarize. I've yet to play a game that had a story great enough to warrant a huge desire for me to learn more about the game. Most are average at best, and I'm fine with that. The cited examples didn't scream to me must know more and if they did make a sequel I wouldn't be surprised that they would put up a backstory of similar caliber as their first entry(ies) so I won't hold my breath for a literary masterpiece. Lastly I gotta ask, do you really think anyone at Gamesradar is upset that I wrote 3000 characters (remember they aren't words, that is absolutely nothing in terms of length) expressing my opinion. Just because mine isn't in total agreement (or some asinine crap like zOmG first) I can't post a comment just like everyone else?
  • The_Lurcher - August 18, 2009 9:26 p.m.

@Hexar Having only just read your several thousand word dribble you call a camment and I am now asking myself, if you disagreed with everything this article has to offer then why must you write an essay on it? If you didn't think the Gamesradar team where right about what they believed where good ideas that is fine that's your opinion but please keep it to yourself or at least give an example of what you would like to see rather than complaining and nit-picking. ReCaptcha: $196-million swanky Well I spose it would be
  • Cepzeu - August 18, 2009 8:24 p.m.

Once again, awsome article, id love a gears prequel
  • Redmageklauser - August 18, 2009 5:33 p.m.

FF4 WAT!?! that game have a sequel and 3 released ports already. its ff6 that need sum prequel
  • theguyinthecloset - August 18, 2009 4:22 p.m.

Bioshock 2 is set during the fall of rapture...isn't that a prequel?
  • Harmon20 - August 18, 2009 3:28 p.m.

@ huffalump. Please, don't even go there.
  • nadrewod999 - August 18, 2009 1:47 p.m.

Before I give my opinions,, let me just set some things straight right now. 1.) I AM NOT A KINGDOM HEARTS OR FINAL FANTASY FAN, so I WILL either diss them or forget about them in my opinions (do NOT message me about how I "FORGOT" to give them a good review, because I did it on purpose). 2.) I am a fan of older games IF, where their graphics fall behind, their gameplay mechanics completely make up for that and more (example: Monkey Island originally didn't have good graphics but had amazing ideas for puzzles (and now it has good graphics AND gameplay ideas)). 3.) The reason why most game developers and gamers want SEQUELS is because most people want to BUILD on what they achieved in the last game, not regress to a point in time that happens before any point in the first game, where the weapons aren't as good and the story isn't as far along, so only if a game has an interesting enough backstory that everyone wants to play it will any game company do a prequel, and I personally think that most of these games deserve a prequel, even if you had to change the genre of the game for the prequel (Bioshock 0.5 would probably start off as a detective game because everyone is your friend and the city is only just beginning to show its age and insanity levels). Now that we are on the same page, I will share my opinions. Bioshock: Shoving you right into a post-apocalyptic world (almost like Fallout 3, but completely under water), Rapture quickly tells an interesting story about how it initially wasn't a mutant-infested hellhole, and was once the home to many sane, powerful and popular people. This brings up an interesting point: it would be very nice to play as a famous detective who is residing in Rapture when everything starts turning from bio-engineered gold to grade-A mutant shit, trying to solve what is happening, stop it from continuing, and even escape with your life. Gears: At many points during this amazing game (which has even hinted at how long it will continue and why (just play the training level of Gears 2, listening to the dialogue, then play both the first act in Gears 1 and the worm level in Gears 2, while thinking about what the Carmines have done already (it certainly isn't killing enemies in horrific and gruesome fashions)), Marcus talks about how we (the humans) lost a lot of great men in their war that happened right before Emergence Day, which obviously makes the gamer want to play that. Sure, it would probably be mostly multiplayer (it is a war that keeps the front-lines moving back and forth), although it might also include what Marcus does that makes saving his own father a crime punishable by jail. Overall, I think that the Gears universe can make anything a good game. CoD4: My favorite missions in CoD4 were the Price missions (although I hated the part where you have to dodge tanks and guards from a crawl position) and the gunship mission (which we will be able to unlock through multiplayer in MW2). I would say that it would be nice to play a hooter that at some point captures the feel of Vietnam and every other big struggle between WWII and modern day warfare. Grim Fandango: Even though I might not have ever played it, just what I saw from one trailer has kept me interested in this older game. The idea that how you make your way to your final spiritual destination isn't just decided by how good or bad a person you were in life, but instead, you also have to deal with travel agents, even when you thought you escaped them by dying. To make things worse, the message tube that tells each travel agent what the client can afford has been corrupted, which could mean some very weird things (a nun has to walk to heaven while a killer can ride there in the lap of luxury on a dead train). An entire game based completely around this concept would be fun, especially since the game would start off with the travel agent being new and not knowing what to do as well as a possibly (or possibly not) corrupt deciding tube, making every case of dead wanting to rest in peace more complex then the next. Mirrors Edge, Kingdom Hearts, and Final Fantasy:I personally didn't like the game, so I won't talk about how "good" a prequel will be.
  • silvereye - August 18, 2009 11:45 a.m.

I think they should make a prequel to half life 2, set after half life 1, to see the invasion of the combine and all that, I woul love to ssee valve make that game
  • kompressorlogik - August 18, 2009 4:37 a.m.

An FF4 prequel detailing Cecil's descent into evil henchman reminds me of an book I bought years ago called Treachery and Treason. It was a collection of short stories where the bad guy won and the good guy usually got the pointy end. It was great. I wish more people would realize that the good guys don't always make it, and there are definitely good stories to be told there.
  • DoctorCrazy - August 18, 2009 4:31 a.m.

I think (THINK not KNOW so dont hold me to it) that Cpt. Price is in the first CoD too. I think its just a little tradition, not cannon or anything.
  • BlackElement17 - August 18, 2009 3:30 a.m.

I really can't think of any thing not on this list. Good list.
  • kerfuffled_brizzle792 - August 18, 2009 2:28 a.m.

Valve should definitely make a prequel to Half Life 2 taking place during the 7 hour war that takes place after the first game. It'd be kind of like the expansions for Half Life 1 in that you don't play as Gordon Freeman but some other character instead.
  • FoxDieAlive - August 18, 2009 2:27 a.m.

I would rather play a prequel to Final Fantasy X
  • Silvermech - August 18, 2009 1:13 a.m.

I would love to play some of the sequels described here. But the cheap punks that develop games will more then likely corrupt what would be an awesome game.
  • TheWebSwinger - August 18, 2009 1:01 a.m.

This is my favorite type of GR Top 7 -- a conventional topic, with the distinctive GamesRadar niche spin. Good stuff.
  • Smeggs - August 18, 2009 12:54 a.m.

!!SPOILERS!! The Bioshock Prequel should have you play as Fontaine. I mean Fontaine is the one who caused Rapture to start crumbling in the first place right? He was like the kingpin in some smuggling and crap if I remember? you could go around pulling off jobs and crimes around ALL of rapture (Since corridors wouldn't be blocked off by falling bits of the city). You'd be able to witness first hand as all of the people started to go mad from Plasmids. You could revisit parts of rapture from the first game, I always thought it'd be interesting to find out what happened on that first recorded tape left by some lady at a New Year's party I think? The very end of the game would be when you sent out your "son" from Rapture to the world above to grow and eventually return as the hero in 'Bioshock'.
  • Embolado - August 18, 2009 12:41 a.m.

How about Shadow of the Colossus Instead of killing them you are trapping the souls into the colossi
  • Cyberninja - August 18, 2009 12:10 a.m.

i want to see a twewy prequel where you see how the game came to be
  • Mittenz - August 18, 2009 12:10 a.m.

The gears one seems kind of pointless, I mean, Emergence day would really only stretch out for a few levels, and for being incarcerated, he just deserted his squad and ran back to his dads house. Also, i'm still holding out for Bioshark