Topics

Best of GR

We Recommend

• ray-johnson - 6 hours, 34 minutes ago

what about Evil Otto from Berzerk? dude was relentless.....
  • gavin-erhard - April 18, 2014 4:43 p.m.

King Minos from Dante's Inferno. He looks awesome and is probably one of the best bosses from that game.
  • mari-takayama - March 26, 2014 4:05 p.m.

I liked seeing Caius, Sephiroth, and Kefka up there. I think Bhunivelze/Bhunivelze+ is the most awesome villain ever...the 'god' of the Fabula Nova Chrystallis mythos...who also killed his mother to gain power then created the goddess Etro (who Lightning protects in FFXIII-2) in the appearance of his mother, then banishes her to the Unseen Realm/Valhalla. Aside from being hard. Ansem: SoD is another cool villain who gets quite difficult as the Kingdom Hearts series goes on, that last battle in KH: Dream Drop Distance was really hard because of the nature of his attacks (heck, I would put all the Xehanorts in my list). As an aside: I don't think Etro could get away with sparing the main party from XIII without consequences...then having some of those consequences pass itself on to the main characters (Light and Serah mostly - Taking Lightning away from Serah and giving Serah an ability that would kill her.)
  • jaela-vaughn - March 8, 2014 1:23 p.m.

I think that either Loghain from Dragon Age Origins would be a good villain for this list. If not, there are others Anders from DA2, he did kind of start a war between mages and templars. Knight-Commander Meredith from DA2, there's even the Arishok as well, he tried to play god and invaded Kirkwall
  • outtacontrol_tm - February 15, 2014 5:55 p.m.

I personally thought Big Smoke from GTA:SA should have made this list, was a wee bit disappointed having to kill him in the final mission, as well as Ryder. Great game though.
  • luke-chacewicz - February 4, 2014 1:03 p.m.

I could get past Nemesis being #99 (although he should be in the top 20, only a few villains have ever been as terrifying), but once I saw that King Pig was at #84, all interest in this topic died. Seriously? King Pig is a better villain than Nemesis?
  • DrAnonymous - September 10, 2013 1:58 p.m.

I liked this list, but I REALLY think that you should have put RIDLEY from the Metroid series on here somewhere; I mean, Mother Brain's bad and all, but overall Ridley is pretty much THE archenemy of the franchise. As far as personality goes, he's a thoroughly evil, sadistic, and cruelly intelligent bastard; he enjoys slaughtering thousands of innocents - (including Samus' OWN MOTHER) just for the hell of it, he delights in torturing and toying with Samus, and no matter how many times he's been killed, HE KEEPS COMING BACK! Also, somewhat like the Joker's desire for chaos, Commander Ridley loves genocide for genocide's sake, and that makes him FAR more menacing than Mother Brain (or Bowser), in my humble opinion.
  • Eyebrows - May 23, 2013 8:34 p.m.

Fun read but if there was a Red Dead Redemption villain on the list I'd have put Dutch in before Bill Williamson. He's a more complex and all-round more interesting character than Williamson.
  • flipped100 - May 22, 2013 2:46 a.m.

Oh yeah, my suggestions made it. Quite happy that you guys managed to get Luca Blight there considering how unfairly forgotten Suikoden II is.
  • MaskedPheasant - May 21, 2013 1:08 p.m.

How can Officer Tenpenny only be 40th? He oozed malevolence and stole every scene he appeared in. For me few villains have ever stirred such strong feelings of contempt and to a lesser extent respect. What's more he's not just pure evil - he genuinely believes he is right, and that 50 more of him would have saved Los Santos. Ho could he be ranked 28 places lower than that crowd pleaser Handsome Jack? Also surely Gary from Canis Canem Edit is surely worth a high ranking. Not to mention the most hate-inspiring character in all of fiction - Eric Sparrow.
  • TheDudeFromNowhere - May 20, 2013 3:03 p.m.

Kefka is definitely top 10. That psychopath laid waste to the world and made me re-recruit my team 40 hours in.
  • Camberf - May 18, 2013 8:06 p.m.

Yay! Three of my six suggestions got added!
  • sephex - May 18, 2013 6:05 a.m.

since when is The Boss a villain?
  • Camberf - May 18, 2013 8:06 p.m.

Since always. Villains can be just as varied as heroes in their personalities and drives. Caius and her can be considered "Anti-Villains", but villains all the same.
  • winner2 - May 17, 2013 9:01 p.m.

I'm glad Ghetsis got on here. The other team leaders were bad but he made it feel more personal than Pokemon had ever felt.
  • J-Fid - May 17, 2013 6:55 p.m.

All Right! We got Ghetsis on the list! Good work everyone!
  • KA87 - May 17, 2013 1:32 p.m.

No Slender. Kind of sad that the greatest troll ever did not make it.
  • GR_HenryGilbert - May 17, 2013 2:09 p.m.

Slender nearly made it, but we held it against him that he'd first appeared outside of games. It didn't immediately disqualify him, but it held him back.
  • BladedFalcon - May 17, 2013 12:16 p.m.

Eh, not really convinced by any of the added entries aside from Dahlia, she definitely deserves to be in the list. The rest feel more like popular demand rather than being genuinely good, menacing or memorable villains.
  • BladedFalcon - May 17, 2013 12:20 p.m.

Specially because... The Boss wasn't even a villain, why the hell is she in this list? Seriously, you guys even say it yourself in the entry, she wasn't evil, and what she did was for the country she loved, even when said country abandoned HER. At best, she's a tragic hero, NOT a villain.