We Recommend

• MeanwhileGuy - March 26, 2014 12:08 a.m.

I was afraid you'd put New Dante on the list. Given the huge amount of backpedaling Capcom have done about the series (and that it sold fairly poorly, the HD collection was outselling it at one point), I think it's safe to say DmC was a failure of a reboot. Old Dante was just such a good character: cocky yet goofy and not afraid to take the piss out of himself. He had depth and a serious side as well, which DMC3 showed to great effect. He didn't need to act "cool", like punching bouncers or getting into a "F*ck you!" Match with a demon. He just *was* cool. New Dante, to me, just came off as an arrogant, egotistical brat with no redeeming features. I realise continuing to lambast New Dante gets you labelled as a fanboy who just doesn't like the way he looks, but I genuinely believe he is a bad character, badly written.
  • Grivien - March 18, 2013 2:01 p.m.

What a load of bullshit! That foul nasty bastard is disgusting insult to the real Dante! That is MOST DEFINATELY NOT a good reboot. In any way at all, ever! DmC pisses on every single thing about the real DMC. Most of those are nothing more than visual upgrades. That is not a reboot. More like retcons, maybe. And Lara Croft may look better. But she's turned into a desperate tryhard, emo, miseryfest, bore. She was better as a straightforward badass. Raidens the only one whos improved. But he could hardly get worse, could he!
  • BottleBank - March 5, 2013 10:54 a.m.

Pardon my french, but Prince of Persia 2008 was a total cunt.
  • ventanger - March 5, 2013 7:30 a.m.

Jesus Christ, these comments. New article suggestions, "Top 7 Reasons Nobody Cares About Your Opinion On New Dante". Tough love, but just shut up already.
  • GAYMER - March 5, 2013 12:03 a.m.

I might be in the minority here, but I miss naked cartwheeling Raiden
  • kirrlaos - March 25, 2014 6:28 p.m.

<3 I do to :D
  • newmachine - March 4, 2013 8:46 p.m.

The whole Resident Evil universe needs a reboot.
  • archnite - March 4, 2013 7:39 p.m.

I'm glad someone else noticed d the similarities between Deus Ex and Metal Gear. Would like to see a cross over between the two, they could almost be the same universe...
  • sadowolf - March 25, 2014 6:15 p.m.

I actually played MGS4 and Deus Ex: HR back-to-back, and I was pretty amazed by the amount of similarities.
  • ObliqueZombie - March 4, 2013 6:11 p.m.

Would Halo count? I mean, at least Master Chief was a human being in Halo. Yeah, I think I'll count that one.
  • BladedFalcon - March 4, 2013 9 p.m.

Um... I'm confused, how exactly does that make it a reboot more than just a retcon of a single fact or detail? Far as I''ve noticed, they've never changed Master Chief's fundamental design or personality, or flat out stated that it's a reworked character.
  • pl4y4h - March 4, 2013 6:06 p.m.

PoP '08 one of the most disappointing games i've ever played
  • Darkhawk - March 25, 2014 4:17 p.m.

PoP '08 was one of the most exhilarating games I've ever played.
  • FAT47ITY - March 4, 2013 5:48 p.m.

Can't forget Zack Fair. He went from "dinky plot-filler side character" in FFVII to "fun-loving yet conflicted badass" in Crisis Core: FFVII.
  • TheKraige - March 4, 2013 4:05 p.m.

The third prince isn't the same character as the others and its a well known face that DK from country etc isn't the same as the original DK which is Cranky Kong from country. But nice try.
  • Germaximus - March 4, 2013 3:55 p.m.

Star Fox reboot could be cool, i like that idea id really love to see more Advent Rising, that game was pretty damn epic
  • BladedFalcon - March 4, 2013 3:50 p.m.

Mostly agree with the list, except of course with the insinuation that the new Dante is inherently better than the old one. Yes, we get it, Old Dante was crazy and shallow and ridiculous, and the stories he starred in were crap, but at least he was fun, looked like he had fun kicking crap, and looked cool in doing so without resorting to spout dick jokes and courses to sound "edgy". Like I've argued several times in the past, new Dante isn't "Terrible" but he isn't really a great character either. He doesn't really do or become anything original, and yes, he has an arc, but is pretty much a cliched arc that we've seen before in better games or movies: The jaded "I need no one!" loner that slowly learns to trust and appreciate the rest of the world. Just because he has more "depth" doesn't make him better or more likable. Case in Point: Mario, he is super iconic, but aside from his design and voice, what depths do we really know about him? does that make him a bad character? NO! it's who he is, and there's a place for that. If Nintendo suddenly decided to reboot him like say, Rare did with Conker, would you guys honestly think you'd like it?
  • sadowolf - March 25, 2014 6:25 p.m.

I'm a huge Devil May Cry fan, but neither version of Dante is anything special in terms of character, which is why I don't get what all the uproar is/was about. I really didn't see the new one as too much different from the original because they're both pretty typical shallow characters. Fundamentally they were damn near the same; the inclusion of things like dick jokes didn't really detract from that. Hell, DMC3 Dante came off like the kind of character that would spout a dick joke or two, and he's right around the same age and shares a more similar attitude with Dante in the remake. I thoroughly enjoyed the reboot, and I feel like most of the detractors just hated the new Dante because he didn't look the same; I didn't find him incredibly un-Dante-like at all.
  • Cloudiology - March 4, 2013 3:48 p.m.

Ninja FUCKING Gaiden
  • 7-D - March 4, 2013 3:47 p.m.

I'd like to see a Reboot reboot (even though it's show).