Topics

Top 7

We Recommend

• Zelam42 - September 16, 2013 2:30 p.m.

Where's Splatterhouse when ya need it?
  • GR_LucasSullivan - September 17, 2013 4:21 p.m.

I remember now why I excluded it: the enemies in that series are all monsters, and don't really look anything close to human. Whereas all the games on this list depict man's inhumanity to man (with the exception of some Mortal Kombat and GoW folks I suppose)
  • Zelam42 - September 18, 2013 1:48 p.m.

I guess that's fair.
  • antiAntag0nist - September 16, 2013 1:29 p.m.

Good old Mortal Kombat, I can only imagine what Ed Boon & the gang has cooked up for the next game in the series. Noob Saibot's fatality when he rips someone in half was pretty gruesome. Were the Prototype games up for consideration? The protagonists in both games had some interesting ways to dispose of their enemies.
  • Dakusuneku - September 16, 2013 1:05 p.m.

I would add The Punisher game, No more Heroes and Corpse Party Bloodcovered.
  • RedHarlow - September 16, 2013 12:16 p.m.

Shadow of Rome has some satisfying gladiatorial combat of the cut off someone's arm and beat them to death with it variety. Bonus points for then throwing said severed arm into the crowd.
  • BladedFalcon - September 16, 2013 1:37 p.m.

Yeah, it was very good at that. Sadly, half of the game is hampered by painfully shoddy stealth gameplay. Which is probably why it didn't make it into the list.
  • RedHarlow - September 16, 2013 1:49 p.m.

Shame Capcom never made a sequel, especially because the ending set up for a sequel. The same style of gladiator combat on next gen systems would be fantastic. You have to appreciate Japan's bizarre interpretation of the Roman Empire. Right up there with their interpretation of the American Wild West.
  • BladedFalcon - September 16, 2013 4:59 p.m.

Yeah... I'd definitely love to see a current or next-gen sequel to the game that focused solely on gladiatorial combat and also fleshed it out. It would be very visceral and fun, and yeah, i agree with you, Japan's interpretation was ridiculous and over the top, but also immensely fun XD
  • Silverstone - September 16, 2013 noon

"If your dream is to expel an endless stream of urine onto a stranger’s carcass, URINE luck." Lucas you clever dog...
  • slimjim441 - September 16, 2013 11:44 a.m.

I thought I remember this being a thing already. And I think I was similarly disappointed to not see Splatterhouse anywhere on the list.
  • GR_LucasSullivan - September 16, 2013 11:52 a.m.

Would you believe me if I told you I made a last slide for it
  • BladedFalcon - September 16, 2013 1:37 p.m.

I'd call splatterhouse more crass than violent though.
  • slimjim441 - September 16, 2013 10:58 p.m.

It's absolutely crass, but mostly because of its obscene violence and gore.
  • BladedFalcon - September 16, 2013 11:50 p.m.

Yes, but it's not as detailed and gruesome as God of War III or Chiller, nor as brutal and grim as Manhunt's, or as gratuitous as Postal 2 or bulletstorm's. I mean, I don't doubt the game is pretty damn violent, but in what I know I don't think it stands out more than the games mentioned here already offered. In my opinion at least. And yes, I know what slaughterhouse does.
  • slimjim441 - September 17, 2013 10:36 a.m.

I guess I see where you're coming from. Still, I think it deserved a spot.
  • BladedFalcon - September 17, 2013 10:49 a.m.

Over which? I would ask...
  • slimjim441 - September 17, 2013 12:52 p.m.

Probably Postal 2.
  • BladedFalcon - September 17, 2013 3 p.m.

You'd think it more violent than a game in which the entire purpose behind is literally doing nothing but murder civilians left and right for no good reason, and that it allows doing gratuitously vile stuff such as desecrating corpses and urinating on them? If I'm not mistaken, Slaughterhouse at the very least has something resembling and actual plot, and the protagonist a motivation that goes beyond just killing whatever in sight because it's fun, no? That alone makes it less violent than a game which serves essentially as psycho simulator, which the motivator is nothing other than violence for violence's sake, even if it's at innocent people's expense.
  • slimjim441 - September 17, 2013 5:30 p.m.

Again, I see the your point, but I have to disagree in saying Splatterhouse is debatably more violent.
  • BladedFalcon - September 17, 2013 5:46 p.m.

We reach an impasse then. I think now it should be wise to call this an agree to disagree situation XD
  • slimjim441 - September 17, 2013 11:55 p.m.

That would be wise. Again, I'm not saying you're wrong, and I don't believe you're saying the same of me, but we definitely aren't on the same page. So, yeah... We'll leave it at that.