Topics

Top 7

We Recommend

• thagama - May 12, 2013 9:47 p.m.

Well if you are so in love with DRM go buy the new Xbox and take it home ,but surely most gamers are going to pass that one( at least those who didn't burn all their neurons with COD).Ps3 have somehow DRM but isn't as obnoxious,unfair and consumer squeezer as the new Xbox coming so is just stupid to promote something like that, unless there's something for you in the backyard."The worst argument for a moron : I RIGHT,YOU WRONG,HATE YOU,...duhhh....(worst example for a troll)".Does include you?
  • Fox_Mulder - May 10, 2013 3:31 a.m.

I love how upfront the article is: "Time to start a flame war." And started it has. I'll sit quietly on the sidelines, gaming, while other people bitch at other people on the 'net about this game, that console, this CEO, when they should be gaming. I'm guilty of it too, but no longer. We, as gamers, need to evolve beyond petty slap-fights perpetuated via angry, hate-filled words.
  • THETHINGABOUT - May 12, 2013 1:38 p.m.

Fuck your passiveness. Who actually plays games anymore? Everyone knows we just buy them so we get to have opinions and argue about them online. And if that's not the way you game in 2013, then you're obviously just a poser freak. *slap*
  • Fox_Mulder - May 13, 2013 6 p.m.

HAHA! I just buy games to I can say I've played them and that they suck whenever someone else praises it. You gave the best possible response I could have hoped for. Thanks for brightening my day :)
  • Rowdie - May 9, 2013 11:45 a.m.

I got shit to hate, QTEs and "RPG Elements" in PvP FPSes, aka Noob Nerfing. Everything on this list is all good to me.
  • ParagonT - May 9, 2013 6:47 a.m.

“Running a multiplayer server costs money, and if you buy used, that developer owes nothing to you. Not a penny of the $45 you spent on Battlefield 4 at GameStop goes to the people who made the game, it all goes to the pawn shop that flipped it. Usually you can buy an online pass for $10, giving money to the people who made the game and still paying less than the price of a new game. Everyone wins.” Online passes are iffy; you may look at this side of the fence and think “Yeah that sounds fair.” But then look at the other side and think “If it was a single player game in a majority, I wouldn't owe them anything neither.” So some think that multi-player addition justifies the online pass cost, whereas I want to know; where is the line drawn? What if the game only had a few online aspects? Would that justify an online pass? Or what if they slowly started adding passes to single player games? Or try to justify passes because there is a “multi-player aspect” to the game? You can easily see that this “screwing” you guys are inferring can easily be brought upon us given a little time. There are not a lot of regulations and restrictions in the gaming industry right now, so these issues exist. Online Passes is a sign that the physical copy days are definitely ending. Once things start going digital only on consoles, I’m curious to what the future may hold. “Bethesda's Pete Hines recently explained it, saying that in order to get a game manufactured and onto store shelves, "the content people stop making new content a fair amount of time before it ships; it’s not like in the old days when it was like the day before or a week before.” What do they do during the time between going hands-off and the game releasing? Well, they can work on DLC, so that's what they often do.” That’s nice and all if every developer does exactly what Pete describes, but that scenario will not encase the entire spectrum of developers. There is no way for us to know if that is what they are truly doing. Pete could be right on one occasion for a developer then be wrong the next, or vise verse. Withholding content isn't illegal from what I understand, so a majority of DLC that a developer releases could be legit whereas the rest may not be. If they were truly doing something that shady, would they actually tell us? Heck no, they most likely wouldn't. So you may be riding on the goodwill of developers, and that’s fine. But as your careful wording infers on your last sentence, there is plenty of room for you to be wrong. Then we will be the complacent crowd that allows for these practices to slowly creep into existence. “gamers have brought this onto themselves. Maybe, just maybe, if there wasn't a 90% piracy rate with PC games developers wouldn't have to impose draconian tactics in attempts to stifle rampant piracy (and, for a second, come the fuck on, seriously? 90%? What the hell is wrong with people?). Does it suck? Yeah, absolutely, it sucks major suckage. Have gamers earned their punishment? You bet your ass they have.” First, this isn't some kind of divine punishment sent by the god’s. It’s out of lost sales. Secondly, how can you say that at all? If 90% of people are pirating, (Ubisoft’s games/ specific IP/ we don’t even know) then you’re restricting the 10% who are not pirating. If DRM can stop pirating, it would have already. This isn't a case of 1,000 gamers who is trying to break the DRM code and only the ones that do get the game for free. When one person mods and changes the DRM coding successfully, they pretty much spread it out to everyone, so X1337JimmyX doesn’t have to be familiar in code languages to steal the game too. The last problem is that usually when DRM is implemented, I find it a major privacy concern. They should not be able to collect information from any computer, regardless of the EULA. It frankly disgusts me to what contracts and agreements can get you to sign away. That’s not just for gaming neither, that’s for many services that we use. I understand why they are doing DRM, I really do, but if they cannot do it in a manner that satisfies the non-thieving community, then they deserve every bit of frustration and lost sales. In the context of your words, I don’t like group ‘ punishment’.
  • THETHINGABOUT - May 12, 2013 1:39 p.m.

Holy god, man. I'd love to read what you have to say, and I'll try, since you generally post some pretty insightful stuff BUT PARAGRAPHS.
  • ParagonT - May 14, 2013 9:58 a.m.

If you check on everyone else's responses as well, you can see that most are missing spaces, paragraphs, and indention. This is because the commenting input code seems to be removing paragraphs on this site. Its not the first time, I think the thread root problem was just fixed as well. The commenting system has hick-ups every now and then. =)
  • THETHINGABOUT - May 14, 2013 2:46 p.m.

Oh, right. That was my bad. That must have been really frustrating. Sorry!
  • ParagonT - May 14, 2013 6:06 p.m.

No need to say sorry mate, its nothing lol.
  • Shadow Of Death - May 9, 2013 4:50 a.m.

I don't have a problem with most of the article (hell, I even support Online Passes because like the article said, publishers/devs don't see a dime from used game sales and places like Gamestop/EB have the gall to charge just $5 less for a used copy, and pocket all the profits from a game they probably bought for half or even less than half what they sold it for), but like many have said, DLC and DRM are points of contention. DLC is fine...when it's not content that was finished from the game and then cut from it for the purpose of charging more money for something completed within the development timeframe. It's especially galling when the content is already on disk (I'm looking at you Capcom!), and it's just some unlock code. You could argue "Well, you thought the game was worth it even without that content didn't you?", and there is some truth in that, but it's also getting out of hand. The trend, at least for some companies, is getting ridiculous, cutting out significant portions of the game to sell as DLC. DRM is generally a bad thing, period. People who pirate, pirate whatever the DRM. Stuff usually gets cracked within a week or two, and sometimes before the game is even officially out (so not only do they not have to deal with BS DRM, but they get the game early as a reward!). I don't pirate games, but DRM can be a pain in the ass, in some cases it renders the game unplayable for some people. DRM doesn't stop pirates, but it does affect paying customers. The most DRM anything needs, if that, is tying it to the service it was bought from (Steam, for example). That's more than enough DRM. As an aside, copyright protection on DVDs/BDs is similarly ridiculous. Pirates don't have to sit through (often unskippable) trailers and warnings to watch their media, but paying customers do. DRM isn't going to go away (but hopefully it gets less draconian), because investors/stockholders will insist upon it, even if it doesn't really do anything in practicality. I applaud devs/publishers that limit or eliminate DRM because that's what paying customers want and deserve.
  • Shadow Of Death - May 9, 2013 4:57 a.m.

Oh yeah, and whether the 90% piracy rate is accurate or not (Also, console games are often pirated as well, sometimes as much as PC games but many people forget that), aside from the people just being cheap. There are people using pirated copies as glorified demos (if the game is good, they buy it), and people who pirate it because they can't get it in their country (right or wrong, it's the only practical way for some people to play games).
  • ObliqueZombie - May 8, 2013 9:23 p.m.

HAHAHAHAHA, oh Coop. King of the rage wars. Good on ya for writing this one up.
  • SanAndreas - May 8, 2013 5:52 p.m.

I have no problem with most of the stuff in this article. But DRM and online passes... no, just no. They hurt nobody but legitimate buyers, and as someone who buys all my games new except games that are no longer being printed, I can safely say that I sure as shit didn't bring that nonsense on myself. Pirates will always pirate, while former paying customers will simply stop buying altogether.
  • JarkayColt - May 8, 2013 6:41 a.m.

I want to agree with this, but...I can't. IMO online passes are the only thing that's really entirely justifiable. Most everything else on this list is kind of abused by the industry. Most casual and mobile game output is godawful, a lot of DLC & microtransaction items are overpriced or downright unnecessary, and DRM doesn't even solve the problem it's trying to fix. In an ideal world, most of these shouldn't be problems, but they just are. Also, is that a fudging Megadrive pad the guy is holding at #6? Ah...I love the week of hate.
  • RadgarLaser2 - May 7, 2013 10:33 p.m.

I hate when someone tells me what to think. Interesting how all the topics on the list all boil down to money.
  • BackwaterRifle - May 7, 2013 7:09 p.m.

Your madden example (on #2) was a real stretch, there's been a lot of years with little change.
  • GamesRadarCollanderCooper - May 7, 2013 6:45 p.m.

The only thing multiplayer does is ruin your chances of getting a Platinum trophy. Tons of games require you to play 100 online matches just for a Bronze trophy. I don't even want to play one match
  • nadsat - May 7, 2013 4:45 p.m.

What a horrendous article. DRM doesn't even affect pirates, all it does is affect paying customers. How much did EA pay you to write this?
  • Relzen - May 7, 2013 9:17 p.m.

I can't be the only one that really wants to see whoever always says "How much did EA/Activision/ect pay you to write this?" get a savage beating.