We Recommend

• Clovin64 - February 8, 2013 8:28 a.m.

1. Big emphasis on actual assassinating. 2. A character who isn't as boring as a tub of outdated natural yogurt. 3. A setting which includes big cities and cool buildings to climb. I vote Victorian London.
  • Xtapolapopotamus - February 8, 2013 8:18 a.m.

I would love either far future (like Watch Dogs or whatever) or distant past, maybe even back to when the First Civ people were just dying out? If not that, China would be cool, have it star the female assassin from Embers.
  • FREEDOMxCOBRA - February 8, 2013 7:46 a.m.

There are all sorts of settings that would be awesome, though I gotta disagree with the old west. China, Japan, or India would all be great though. I also can envision a great experience if it were set in WWI or WWII Europe, with main cities being London, Paris, and Berlin. And rather than a futuristic setting, why not a really, REALLY old setting, like the Adam and Eve at the end of the first civilization old? The truth clips from ACII looked really cool, I think getting to play around in that time period would be fantastic. And I agree that the assassinations need to have more substance again, they felt very unimportant in ACIII and even Revelations.
  • King L0uis II - February 8, 2013 7:32 a.m.

The Russian Bolshevik Revolution, from the comic book. Ooo, with a second part tying in the ousting of the Kiser in Germany and the take-over of the socialists. Maybe even World War I before that, though I'm not sure how to make that an AC game. Just spit-balling here.
  • PBC13 - February 8, 2013 4:12 a.m.

London. Great fire of. Do it.
  • KidKatana - February 8, 2013 1:39 a.m.

I'm quietly optimistic that they'll set an AC in colonial India. That would be an amazing setting, loads of castles and grand colonial buildings to climb, and having a Brit or Indian assassin fighting against the empire would be awesome. The weaponry would work well with the combat mechanics too. Also, India has tigers. There'd have to be at least one assassination mission involving that.
  • CitizenWolfie - February 8, 2013 1:27 a.m.

Some cool ideas there, although I completely disagree about being in the Old West. Red Dead did it far too well and AC3 already tried (and failed IMO) to capture parts of what made RDR so good. Here's a few I'd like to see: - 1890s (Victorian) London. The UK uses far less guns than the USA so it would at least have more emphasis on blades again. Plus it has a huge history and cool buildings. Not to mention the many conspiracies that revolve around the monarchy at the time. And Jack the Ripper of course - OR French Revolution Paris. Similar reasons to London but with the added conflict of rich/poor. - Owning property mechanics similar to AC2/Brotherhood. Less of the crafting and caravans. - Improved combat features, more freeflowing along the lines of Arkham City. - Bring back R1+X / RB+A parkour scheme. I can see what they tried to do in AC3 but I don't think it worked and I know I'm not the only one. - Take a note from Far Cry 3's book. Random dynamic events that make you feel like the world is alive. Enemy AI that really hunts you down and attack accordingly rather than follow a path. Multiple ways to assassinate targets that don't consist of "hidden kill/fight the remaining guards/escape." - Do away with the "Full Sync" goals. Does it really matter if Connor didn't bump into a single civilian or kill X amount of enemies with Y? Let us play our own way without feeling forced to go for the arbitrary goals for a reward suit of armor etc.
  • avantguardian - February 7, 2013 10:31 p.m.

"what we want form assassin's creed 4" 1. assassinations. 2. to not come out this year.
  • Jacko415 - February 7, 2013 8:41 p.m.

GIVE. ME. MY. "A". BUTTON. BACK. While i understand the change for running on trees, the lack of the "A" button while running was really annoying when it came to the cities. I kept running up random walls while running and jumping to spots i didnt want to. GIVE ME BACK CONTROL OF THE CHARACTER. I dont need the game to play itself for me.
  • Jacko415 - February 7, 2013 8:50 p.m.

Oh, and can we actually ASSASSINATE people again instead of doing half assed missions that were overly lineier, scripted and 50% cutscenes? And cut out the fucking full synch objectives completely ruining and contrasting the open and free gameplay the game is known for! Ben Yahtzee of "Zero Punctuation" has a good quote: "What is the core gameplay mechanic of Assassin's Creed at this point, 'cos I'll tell what it isn't: Assassinating people, compared to Assassin's Creed 1 where everything led up to the next stabbing of someone stabworthy after which you get another ability to help you with future stabbing. For all its faults, the game was inarguably about stabbing. Each game has added more junk and now the stabbing has detached and flown away while the rest of the game wobbles about like its trousers are about to fall down."
  • Fox_Mulder - February 8, 2013 5:17 a.m.

I agree. I saw what they were trying to do making the control scheme simpler and bringing freerunning down to just one button. I liked the change, until a few hours in. I really loved the whole "puppeteer" control concept: Y controls your head, A controls your legs, X and B control your left and right hands, respectively, and RT switches from low to high profile.
  • daniel-scott - February 7, 2013 8:13 p.m.

I would love for a cold war Russia setting. Great buildings to climb and the atmosphere is perfect for an assassin to be involved somehow and it would be believable that to remain low key he wouldn't be running around with typical weapons and can use spy related ones, like a single shot gun hidden in a suit case. Mini games involving a Dead Drop Spike to receive information, ect.
  • JMarsella09 - February 7, 2013 8:03 p.m.

I want them to make the assassinations have bigger meaning. There shouldn't be an clear way of going about them. Make them more like involved puzzles so that they feel like more then just another mission.
  • BaraChat - February 7, 2013 7:51 p.m.

I hate it so much when developers/publishers do that, releasing a game per year. It hurts the product so much by eating away every single ounce of credibility it has. Heck, I even think two year is too short of a delay between two games of the same franchise on the same console (I'm talking home vs handhelds). Not interested one bit in this "new" (That's a generous word...) game Ubisoft is planning.
  • Jacko415 - February 7, 2013 8:55 p.m.

Should be 31/2 years minimum for any game. -1year of Pre-Production -2Years of development -1/2 year of Post-Production (bug fix, testing, shipment)
  • FierceVoltage - February 7, 2013 7:45 p.m.

Why would they have to limit their scope for next gen? wouldn't it be the opposite?
  • Fox_Mulder - February 8, 2013 5:20 a.m.

You would think, but not at first, they are still getting the hang of next-gen hardware and as the years go on, they discover how to do more and more with it. You can see evidence of this as the Assassin's Creed games progress. If Ubi decides (or has already decided, it seems) to release the new AC game this year, they're probably going to have to limit their scope because of the new hardware.
  • Cutter9792 - February 7, 2013 7:32 p.m.

Let us actually assassinate people. And cut out the economy aspect.
  • Talvari - February 7, 2013 7:22 p.m.

New current setting character and a wild west assassin would be cool ;o. AI that isn't braindead would be cool too :|
  • kyle94 - February 7, 2013 7:09 p.m.

Personally, I would love a combination of Assassin's Creed 1 and 2 when it comes to main storyline missions. It wasn't executed very well in the original, but I honestly rather liked the idea of the game being focused around specific assassinations. I liked the optional missions where you could find out more about the target or the location, and can help you come up with a strategy. With the later Assassin's Creed games (though I've yet to play 3), the missions were primarily story-driven, linear, and played out the same way if you ever replay it. The assassinations in the first game didn't always get that either, but did feel more open-ended than in later games. So, build on the optional missions from the first game and make them good and interesting to play. Have some optional missions where you pickpocket, where you intercept couriers, where you break into buildings to steal a map or documents, where you interrogate or bribe characters, where you stalk and kill guard captains or watchmen, etc. And make it where the optional missions have varying different degrees. Maybe killing the captain of the guard means that the his replacement is inexperienced and doesn't place the guards in good positions. Stealing a map gives you information on the area that would not normally be available. Eavesdropping on a conversation would open up a completely different escape route, as you find out that someone in the area would be willing to help you against whoever you're assassinating. And make some of the assassinations (though not all of them, or even a majority. Just the major ones) more open-ended. In other words, make it similar to Hitman, I suppose. I wouldn't mind seeing a return of property and guild minigames (not tower defense, though), but they should be kept rather small, as not everyone likes weird strategy elements like me. Make the guild and away missions more important, as in other ways to get information, rather than random repeatable missions to get more money and random supplies. And with the property mechanic, I would prefer something similar to Assassin's Creed 2, where you're buying and investing in a small town or specific stores, rather than every single one you run into. And, finally, set it in China, either during the Warring States period, or preferably, during the Boxer Rebellion/1800s-early 1900s. I'd love to see a game set during that time period and showing a more personal side of imperialism, colonialism, and industrialization. (I'm the kind of person who was excited, and later disappointed, by the idea of Fable 3 touching on the Industrial Revolution, for example. It was a period that created the modern world, and had unprecedented technological, philosophical, and societal changes. It was the birth of modern industry, of modern atheism and religious dogma, and of modern tolerance and racism. It saw the rise of Communism, workers' rights, Nationalism, and the first inklings of militarism and glorification of war clashing with the horrific reality, as modern technology allowed people to get an accurate look of what war was like. It's a fascinating time period so rarely used in games.) Anyway, this comment has gone on for long enough.