We Recommend

• MCBadong - February 15, 2012 8:09 a.m.

Console Gaming PROS: Insert disk/Run File and play immediately. Lower risk of piracy. CONS: Graphics are limited by what the console can do. DLC can be a pain in the ass. Upgrading to next gen requires large budget. What this article said: Small market and survivability for casual games. Console exclusives force players to purchase one of each platform just to play. Often expensive peripherals necessary. Absolute or near absolute lack of moddability by normal users. Interestingly, by contrast: PC Gaming PROS: Graphics can be adjusted to match your video card. DLC is not as much of a pain. Upgrading to next generation can be done with piece by piece upgrade. What this article said: Huge market and survivability for casual games. What works for one PC works for any PC with virtually same specs. Any keyboard + Any mouse = Good to go!. Available moddability by normal users, and even if it isn't moddable, chances are PC users will soon find a way to mod it. CONS: Higher potential for piracy. Installation procedures can be a pain for new users. Your Honor, I rest my case. PC Gaming FTW. FUCK CONSOLES.
  • ThePrivateer - February 15, 2012 8:32 a.m.

You forgot how expensive PCs are in the cons list, bud. What's so bad about consoles to make you say "FUCK CONSOLES"?
  • Saturn500 - February 15, 2012 8:43 a.m.

In addition, "Upgrading to next gen requires large budget.", as if getting a PC in the first place weren't even MORE expensive, not to mention that this "piece by piece upgrade" involves getting pieces that are each about as expensive as a console.
  • GhostbustTyler - February 15, 2012 9:53 a.m.

And then once a new version of a part comes out, you need to go and buy that so it can run better. Honestly I'd love to be able to be able to play games more advanced than Jonestown on my PC, but I honestly don't have the financial security to do it. I like a lot of things about PC gaming, but I'd honestly pay the $300-$500 for a console that will last me at least 10 years without any expansions or processors, graphics cards, ect that I'd need to upgrade every other year.
  • Scuffles - February 15, 2012 10:42 a.m.

You can easily build a decent PC that will run circles around a console for about the same price as a console. The PS3 started at around $600 now ~$300, for $300-400ish you can have a decent PC that will easily handle most modern games at decent (probably better than console) settings. Now it is true that you can go WAY OVERBOARD and build a PC that us in the multi thousand dollar range but it certainly isn't a requirement to play or enjoy games. For that matter I would love to know where I can buy a $40 console, because that's about what my last graphics card cost and it has well over double the ram just for graphics than the PS3 has for everything it does. Admittedly there are $200-500+ graphics cards out there but again they are in no way a requirement. I guess the point there is more that PCs can be stupid expensive but they don't by any means need to be. Tangent: While the OP can consider Installation of games a CON, more and more console games are requiring full/partial installations. Not to mention the same Patch/Update regiments that PC games have. Trust me when I say I miss when Consoles were just Insert game and play but that died last console gen (PS2/Gcube, Pre internal console hard drives). Extra Console Con: -Needlessly expensive proprietary hardware. (why charge a fair price when they can just change the pinout on existing tech and charge 2-3x the going rate)
  • Lucas - February 15, 2012 10:02 a.m.

And Pcs are not that expensive compared to what you have to get to play on a console... There's rigs out there that can play games on decent high settings (way higher than consoles) that only cost $650. Now an xbox 360 or a PS3 cost at least what? $300? Yeah, you would say "That's half the price of the PC", but you forget that you actually need a tv to see the game you're playing, so add another $300 for a tv. That's $600, not that far from your "expensive" $650 PC that has a lot more to offer, even outside of just playing games.
  • Lucas - February 15, 2012 9:58 a.m.

Installation problems? Really? Don't we just put the disc in, then follow the very friendly set up/installation menu to get the game going? I mean, we just have to keep on pressing "Next" and the game is installed lol
  • lilspooky - February 15, 2012 11:29 a.m.

Geez, you Young-ins are lucky, i remember installing a game with 15 floppy disks through DOS.
  • MCBadong - February 15, 2012 7:07 p.m.

Simple case in mind for upgrade argument: If I had a PS3 and a PS4 comes out, I CAN'T PLAY PS4 GAMES IN MY PS3. I HAVE TO BUY THE PS4 if I want to play. If I had an i3 GTX 550 PC and a new game that recommends i7 GTX 590+ PC comes out, I CAN STILL PLAY THAT GAME, EVEN IF IT'S AT LOWER SETTINGS. I rest my case once more.
  • MCBadong - February 15, 2012 7:16 p.m.

A little unrelated but noteworthy: Sony, Microsoft and Nintendo were all initial SOPA supporters. Majority of PC developers opposed SOPA. Fuck consoles, because it's capitalism in the gaming world.
  • CameronPoe - February 15, 2012 7:42 a.m.

I can't argue with the convenience of consoles, but i've been PC gaming since I was probably 6 so it kind of feels natural to continue doing so. I don't really have any gripes against consoles, I love my PS3, for instance, I just can't do as much with them as I would like.(Even less with the loss of Metal Gear Online :C) Also, I don't want to come off as a Valve fanboy, but steam has a lot of genuinely awesome deals here and there that keeps me happy and I probably haven't paid full price for any of the 30+ Steam games I own.(even though they aren't physical copies, I don't really care) And the hardware advances aren't as severe or scary as people might think. I spent 1000 dollars on my computer and it runs Crysis without a hitch, and it has room to expand to 16 gigs of ram and I can SLI the video cards, so no matter how advanced next gen gets I'm covered.
  • beema - February 15, 2012 7:35 a.m.

Good article. But the bastards that are "the powers that be" in the gaming world have also seen fit to make playing games on PC as difficult and terrible as possible. If every major publisher starts only allowing you to play their games via their own proprietary client (like EA has done with Origin), can you imagine how crappy that will be? You are going to have to install and log in to a different client for Activision, 2K, Ubisoft, EA, Valve, etc. I mean really, when will the madness stop? Not to mention that even if consoles become as much of a bore fest as Houghton imagines, they will still be selling more copies than PC, so developers will be forced to focus on them. Therefore PC gamers will still be getting shitty, buggy ports with outdated graphics (I really took issue with his statement that PC gamers get the "best versions" of all 3rd party games. We might get better graphics after numerous delayed patches, but best is pretty arguable considering all the other garbage that comes with half-assed ports). I really think the entire video game industry needs a fundamental restructuring. I hope he is right, because the only way things can get better is if there are more independent projects that make money and circumvent the entire bloated Publisher system.
  • Maverik770 - February 15, 2012 9:30 a.m.

I concur that the 3rd party content platforms forcing exclusitivity for their own titles is very aggrivating on PC. I love Steam but I hate having to have a bunch of other programs such as Origin, Desura, so forth, just to play each company's exclusive titles. Hell yeah it's annoying that I have to load up Steam to play those games and then load up Origin just to play those games. But you know what? Atleast it's free! It's a HELL of a lot easier and CHEAPER to download a new gaming platform on my PC such as Origin to play their games than it is to go out and buy a PS3 to compliment my 360 (if I owned one). As a PC gamer, we get access to ALL PC games from any company. Yeah we may have to download Steam or Origin or Desura or some other platform to download and run those games but those programs are free and always will be free and you can have ALL of them on a single PC that you only paid for ONCE. If you're a console gamer, you have to PICK a console and you can ONLY play games for that console. Then if you want to play games on the other console, oh now you have to go buy that console and it ain't cheap! Not to mention hooking it up and having a palce in your home and TV to have multiple cords and plastic console boxes all plugged into it at the sametime. I'd much rather download Steam & Origin for FREE and fiddle with flipping between 2 gaming programs than shell out another $300 on a second phsyical console just to get access to more exclusive games. Console gamers consistently cry about the cost of getting into PC gaming being too high to build a good gaming PC. Then these SAME complainers go out and buy a 360, a PS3 and a Wii just so they can have access to all of the games in this console generation. That costs them upwards of $500 - $800. Well NEWS FLASH! With the money they spent on all 3 of those consoles, they could have built a gaming PC that would blow ALL of those consoles out of the water. And not only that but their PC can then easily be upgraded every few years for cheap to continually stay relevant and there is no such thing as a "New generation" looming over your head. PC does not have generations. We can play games that released in the 90s as well as games that release today. These console gamers blow between $500 and $800 just on console hardware EVERY generation and then point the fingers at PC and say PCs are too expensive?! I can PROMISE you I've spent waaayyyy less money on my PC upgrades over the last decade than the average console gamer has spent on new console hardware to stay relevant with all of the best games out there in that same time period. PC is a single investment and you get access to everyting the PC has to offer with no fear of a new console generation coming on the horizon. Yeah dealing with multiple gaming platforms such as Steam and Origin can be frustrating but atleast it's free. It's a HELL of a lot better than droppig hundreds of dollars to get a new console and have access to more games.
  • taokaka - February 15, 2012 7:27 a.m.

In plenty of cases innovation doesn't equal quality (most recently neverdead) but I see where you are coming from, but it seems you just bashed consoles for not being as indie dev friendly as PCs which kind of isn't exactly new. However if I were to switch my main gaming platform to PC it would be for the indie games instead of the occasional blockbuster that is better on PC because lets face it most third party devs stuff up the PC launch of multiplatform games. One other point with a new generation of consoles a tonne of new IPs should be born so hopefully a good chunk of them would be the equivalent of a mirror's edge or whatever.
  • ChrisCultista - February 15, 2012 7:16 a.m.

Terraria, Dino D-day, Natural Selection 2. Just some of the recent games Ive played that are exclusive to PC. That's...almost as many exclusives that the 360 will have for... well the entire year of 2012. I think it is a shame what happen to 360 and a little less to the PS3. I originally bought the 360 thinking it would continue the surprise success of the original xbox, and it did, but it quickly went away in the same time we should have been seeing a new console on the rise. I think the PS3, which I still don't have, was stung by the initial price point and following slow burn, into trying everything. Which is why it seems more open that the 360, but still less so than the PC. Why does this remind me of Presidential elections and unfulfilled promises? Why am I saying so much?
  • tomthespesh - February 15, 2012 7:15 a.m.

My gripes with PC gaming are that at the moment I can't afford a good PC (more my problem I know) and that my internet is really quite odd, it can run games on XBL fine with no lag but any PC game suffers from lag. That could be something to do with security settings or something though I don't know anything about computers and don't wanna just start turning things off. But I would make the switch if I could afford it and find a comfy enough chair. Though I'd still want Nintendo machines, I can't get enough of Mario, Zelda and Co.
  • radiodeaf - February 15, 2012 7:16 a.m.

lol, another point against PC gaming... how much do you have to learn just to play. good article, just not thought out I think.
  • Scuffles - February 15, 2012 8:03 a.m.

Not much really... Maybe 10 years ago when you had to manually configure the IRQs on your graphics/sound/etc cards yourself (with jumpers). These days its essentially all plug & play to the point most of the time you don't even need to look at the BIOS. It just self configures and goes. If you can manage to hook up your console to your TV you can pretty much build a computer. Rule 1) If it doesn't fit, it doesn't go there. Still might be prohibitive for people who try to get their consoles HDMI cable to fit into their TVs DVI connector with a hammer :P
  • FoxdenRacing - February 15, 2012 8:31 a.m.

IRQs, DMAs, and other four-letter words...I remember those days! Though to make both of us feel old, manually setting those in software's about 15 years back now, via jumper is closer to 20. The worst part about building a PC is making sure the 3 big components are compatible...mobo, cpu, and ram...but even then, much like swapping the spark plugs in a car it's more a matter of not being afraid of it than it is a matter of being difficult.
  • radiodeaf - February 15, 2012 7:08 a.m.

touched on exactly what I was thinking just recently. game marketing isn't about exploration. the model is becoming the hollywood cutout...big dollars, strict policies, treating the consumer as if they are the problem, and then taking more money from that same consumer for bullshit pieces to an ugly puzzle. we already jump thru hoops for a game now... I couldn't even begin to imagine what they will do later to supplement their gross spending. concentrating on AAA instead of risky indies is just one way consoles and their masters are going to be a problem. of course, PC gaming has it's share of faults, such as upgrading and cheating. you suggest games are always given a better option when it comes to PC since they don't limit themselves. but that's telling the consumer, "go fuck yourself". my system can play this at "ULTRA" and yours just at "medium"...LAWL! consoles bridged a gap for those who couldn't afford upgrading their machine at the time... of course, I hope companies like Euclidian blow such thinking out of the water and produce graphics we weren't even expecting.
  • kor2disturbed - February 15, 2012 6:52 a.m.

I've been thinking of switching over to PC gaming but I'm hesitant. I just don't know.