Topics

PlayStation PS2

We Recommend

• mafyooz - January 10, 2013 11:34 a.m.

All the cool software aside, I think the fact that my PS2 is still going strong after 11 years, while I'm on my second PS3 in only 4 years, speaks volumes for the comparative build quality of the hardware. Unfortunately I don't think the controller is going to last much longer.... :(
  • bass88 - January 10, 2013 9:38 a.m.

It really was the best, or it at least represented the best era for gaming. Designers could fiddle around and create something unique without worrying about it selling 16 million copies because it didn't cost too much - unlike nowadays. The same holds true for PC gaming. That said, independent developers are fixing that. A wonderful write-up, Mr. Towell.
  • ultimatepunchrod - January 10, 2013 9:33 a.m.

The PS2 is pretty awesome. It makes the PS3's early days even more painful to think about.
  • BladedFalcon - January 10, 2013 9:02 a.m.

Was? Still is.
  • GR_JustinTowell - January 10, 2013 10:33 a.m.

Past tense just to highlight the fact they've stopped making it. That's all. It is now officially in the past. *sniff*
  • BladedFalcon - January 10, 2013 11:48 a.m.

Yeah... fully reading the article, I understand that. But well, even if they have stopped making it, the astounding gallery of games for it are not just amazing for their time, I'd say they are still great for today's standards, and well worth playing. Not two months ago, i beat both Zone of the Enders games, and while the first one is kinda crappy, the second one looks frigging amazing, arguably even better than early PS3-360 games. Granted, it was with HD treatment, but still. And i am currently going trough God Hand on the PSN, and I've also have a mind to eventually play GrimGrimoire and Psychonauts, and RE-Play Odin's Sphere, which, even without a full HD treatment, also looks amazing to this day. What I'm trying to say, even if the console itself has died because it's not being produced anymore, the legacy it has left, and it's games, which to me, are what actually make it the best console ever, still remain, and are played to this date.
  • GR_JustinTowell - January 10, 2013 11:49 a.m.

Agreed :)
  • BladedFalcon - January 10, 2013 1:14 p.m.

Oh! and I think it should be mentioned, the PS2's publicity was far, far superior than the atrocious job Sony is doing for the PS3 nowadays. "Live in your world, play in hours" Is probably one of the best publicity slogans I've ever heard.