We Recommend

• RedHarlow - February 16, 2011 2:32 a.m.

I have respect for him that he dropped it rather than selling out for a PG-13 rating. If its a M rated game, its gotta be R rated otherwise you sacrifice too much.
  • TheJHat - February 16, 2011 2:19 a.m.

It's kinda sad to see that Verbinski is leaving the project. Hopefully the movie will eventually come out with an R rating.
  • pinoklin - February 16, 2011 2:13 a.m.

@Thecakeisapie: lol bioshock isnt a game about a game, sure it's system shock spiritual succesro, but the plotline of the game along with it's ambiance is what makes it a perfect fit for a film, i mean harvesting a little sister didn't have nearly as much impact as seeing the corpses nailed to the walls and impaled in apollo square.
  • pepheb - February 16, 2011 2:07 a.m.

We'll obviously never know what would've happened if it had worked. If the director/whole team was gonna make it amazingly amazing, then I am disappoint :S If it was gonna be a quick, shitty cash-in, then I don't care.
  • CandiedJester - February 16, 2011 1:52 a.m.

Well, I am iffy about the way that he wanted to make the Bioshock movie. I really do not think that Bioshock should be PURE horror and scary and disturbing stuff, I think that would totally ruin the entire idea. Bioshock itself is not a completely scary game, that part of it wears off early. It's disturbing yes, but it is only disturbing through the story of the world, not in a pointless horror-movie kind of way. If they were to make a movie I would hope they would make it more story-based, more artistic and thoughtful, but of course keeping it dark and disturbing, like the game was, rather than just horror-movie disturbing, more like artful story-deepening kind of disturbing. If they would have went through with this and actually succeeded in making the movie this way I would have felt insulted and probably hated the man behind it for not understanding what it's really all about. I don't want a scary movie, I want a movie with substance and feeling.
  • FreedomPhantom - February 16, 2011 1:41 a.m.

Aww well, there goes the only videogame movie I was excited for.
  • NotBraze - February 16, 2011 1:29 a.m.

I hope the project stays trapped in an eternal limbo of development hell. I've said time and time again that a BioShock movie just simply can't work, it's not the kind of story that lends itself well to the big screen treatment, and if it never ever moves forward as a film I will be a happy man. Also Atlas Shrugged looks positively awful.
  • AGENTJORRRG - February 16, 2011 1:23 a.m.

So long as the writers of the movie completely disregard the events of Bioshock 2, I'll be happy. Bioshock 2 was an awful, pointless sequel.
  • TheCakeIsaPie - February 16, 2011 1:22 a.m.

There are certain games that simply can't be made into movies. Bioshock is one of them. Come on, it's a video game about videogames! Why make that into anything else? Besides, would it be shot in first person? Would the audience vote on whether to harvest little sisters while the film is rolling? It can't be done and still remain faithful to the source. Just look at Watchmen. A comic book about comic books. Make it into a movie, and you get rubbish.
  • Fiirestorm21 - February 16, 2011 1:21 a.m.

Verbinski is one of the few people attached to any video game movie project that I was interested in, and it sucks that he's not going to be there anymore. However it's not surprising to see the BioShock movie get stuck in dev hell for the very reasons cited here. Plus, part of me thinks that a good BioShock movie will take the direction of Infinite, which is to say, not try to stay in Rapture since that story is told, but rather tell a new story in the spirit of the series, with philosophy and disturbing scenarios and all.
  • Riche666 - February 16, 2011 1:19 a.m.

Verbinski should get the funding. Thats all I have to say.
  • TheMalteseFalcone - February 16, 2011 1:19 a.m.

This is disappointing, but I still hope that a BioShock movie can materialize in some form. Also... FIRST!