Topics

Week of Hate

We Recommend

• InsomniacGamer - April 29, 2011 3:07 a.m.

YEAH I trust any article by the RollerKeaster
  • SideOfBeef - April 29, 2011 3:03 a.m.

I am insulted at the use of Mohawk Baby. She is in fact the most powerful gaming force that ever this world has known.
  • V22Dreamcast - April 29, 2011 3:02 a.m.

I'm kind of guilty of being a silent, angry friend when I have a losing streak (doesn’t happen often) but I just had to laugh at myself for describing me from top to bottom, along with mentioning that it kills the atmosphere. Also, great article.
  • secretsearcher - April 29, 2011 2:58 a.m.

@BigKingBud 1. You are trying too hard to sound cool 2. The whole point of this article was that shitty players SHOULD admit they suck 3. You are exactly the kind of egotistical gamer that they were talking about oh, and P.S., if you had tendonitis and arthritis, holding a controller is the LAST thing you'd be able to do Sincerely, Logic
  • secretsearcher - April 29, 2011 2:54 a.m.

I am a member of the "bad players who know they are bad" tier of gamers. Especially when talking about first person shooters; I SUCK at those. I'm "decent", I suppose, at a few games, and somewhat good at RPGs, but I'd never go so far as to claim that I was REALLY SKILLED at a game...the closest I could say is maybe Super Smash Brothers, which I am somewhat OK at. I'd probably get my ass kicked in a competitive tournament, but I can usually hold my own otherwise. Also, props for saying "BIG BOYS AND GIRLS" Though I'm a guy, I still think it's nice when people admit there are good girl gamers too.
  • copedude - April 29, 2011 2:40 a.m.

Also @ThatGuyFromTV I think you mean soul not mind and if that's the case then its a song by the glitch mob
  • copedude - April 29, 2011 2:35 a.m.

sadly this used to be me online, then i started playing split screen with some friends and realized how much better they were then me (and being able to see not only their controllers but also screens I knew they werent cheating or using underhanded tactics) Now I still suck but accept it and have much more fun playing the game now. Additionally I find the best thing about accepting how bad you are is that every once in a while you have a great "top of the leaderboard" game and it feels so much better then if you're expecting it and don't get it cuz you suck
  • ThatGuyFromTV - April 29, 2011 2:30 a.m.

when i'm level headed i can admit when i sucked and what i suck at. I am terrible at MvC3, and i understand that. When I get into the heat of the moment, though, i turn into a loudmouth who doesn't admit anything. I can cite multiple cases where I said that i was better than the other guy when they beat me simply because i pulled one or two good air combos on them (honestly, air comboing is the only thing i'm good at in that game, someone please help me with everything else). even when I know I have a lot of skill (not at MvC3), i just kinda deteriorate into one of these guys. Guess I gotta try to keep a level head when I'm down. Starve the Ego, Feed the Mind. 1000 points to whoever gets the reference in that last sentence. And sorry for the rant.
  • FanofSaiyan - April 29, 2011 1:59 a.m.

You guys at GR should make these types of articles more often. It's always enlightening to get a detailed breakdown of shitty aspects of gamers. Also a video of said terribads in action would help cement your arguements.
  • NotBraze - April 29, 2011 1:35 a.m.

I openly admit that I'm pretty awful at most online games, I'm getting better at Gears of War 3 because I've actually made a dedicated effort to getting better, but there's still plenty of time I get my ass handed to me. I will say, though, one thing I hate being someone who is not particularly great but still enjoys playing from time to time is when you have a bad match and some arrogant punk starts treating you like garbage. I keep a pretty low profile online, I'll use the mic to coordinate with other players, but I don't trash talk unless I'm in party chat with a few of my close friends, and so when someone comes and rips me a new one for having more deaths than kills it totally sucks any fun out of it. I was worried that it'd be especially bad with Gears 3 considering the fact that there's a pool of respawns that the team takes from, but so far everyone in the beta I've played with has been cool. My point is that I'm not great, and I'll admit it, but I just want to have fun, being good and treating those who aren't like crap is just as bad as being a terribad.
  • Cyberninja - April 29, 2011 1:31 a.m.

i completely agree with this list. there is only 1 game i have balance issues with is SSF4 because when you play online with random people they are content using unfair tactics like repeatedly using kens focus attack over you so you are trapped and cant get off the ground, but i can honestly say that when you play with people who wont screw you over the game is tons of fun even if honestly prefer BB:CS to SSF4.
  • mentalityljs - April 29, 2011 1:16 a.m.

I've accused people of hacking before. And as far as I'm concerned, to this very day, im still convinced they were. There's a difference between recognizing good players, and cheaters. Cheaters will talk shit in a lobby b4 u even start a match, and even throughout the match, and are usually ghetto ass fucks trying to be cool with rap blaring in the background. Good players are much more humble and talk a lot less shit. Some days I suck, others I get into a mode and do better than usual. But mostly I suck until I've played the game enough to be familiar with the maps and such. I'm very impatient, so i get pissed off at myself when i get owned in a game i just started playing. But I think we've all been in a situation where it was so blatantly obvious our opponent was cheating. And once u call them out in the lobby, they let their ego take over and its all down hill from there.
  • D0CCON - April 29, 2011 1:14 a.m.

This is what I like about the week of hate. Those 5 reasons to hate {popular game name, here} (hopefully you just read that in GLaDOS's voice) are fine and all, but this stuff is more interesting. Oh, and I shifted away from me sucking at Gears to being quite good at Halo Reach and now I'm really feeling the hate towards those awful players. Another part you didn't mention were the ones that sucked horribly, then blamed the suckage on everybody else once it was obvious we were done for. Then, as punishment for our suckage, the player started team killing us. A quick check of the score would have shown everybody else had kills in the mid to high teens while he had 3 kills, but no, it's everybody else's fault.
  • hellodesdemona - April 29, 2011 1:07 a.m.

This is a very well thought out and well expressed article. This needs to be printed out and mailed to every moron online.
  • Nap1400 - April 29, 2011 1:02 a.m.

I've faced this kind of person on Brawl right beside me. He was talking trash and about me going down when I simply held my Wiimote and Nunchuk beside me and killed him in 30 seconds. Then he blamed me for cheating by using Lucas. -_-
  • p0wnd - April 29, 2011 12:58 a.m.

@boogly: Well I have 93% of people who avoid me...who are these people that actually fill in these complaints?
  • Crimsonkingx - April 29, 2011 12:55 a.m.

Great article! Very true too. Sadly though, as I am reading it I am like..."Man! Thats me some days". Even more sad is that my rants even get to the point of pissing ME OFF as I am screaming them lol. It's always nice to read something that puts you back in your place (at least for me) and makes you think... "....I really am a shit-dick....". My main goal as I am playing, especially with friends is to just keep my cool. Try to laugh it off sometimes. But...what can I say...If I can't get out of the lower tier of the leader board, rage ensues. LOVE THIS WEEK OF HATE! THANKS FOR GIVING ME A KICK IN THE OL' SATCHEL! =)
  • BadDogSquee - April 29, 2011 12:49 a.m.

I love how the first picture has a guy wearing an Affliction t shirt. The Douchiest clothing line since Ed Hardy.
  • shawksta - April 29, 2011 12:39 a.m.

If there's anything, I hate trying my best when I go against my brother in "Friendly" matches(MvC3,COD:BLOPS,Smash Bros.,TvC,Star Fox assualt,you name it) I win just ONE time my brother Goes apeshit that just because I beat him ONE time he automatically sucks.
  • HardMetalManiac - April 29, 2011 12:34 a.m.

Michael Keast, thank you. Thank you so fucking much for this article. I consider my online game skills pretty average and whenever some douchebag calls me a hack or cheater because I killed him, I feel like drilling holes into my teeth. I have a HUGE low tolerance for stupid people and these scumfucks are no different. Screw them and thank you.