We Recommend

• janevit14 - October 6, 2008 6:13 p.m.

ok I am writing to help you decide whether you should try Warhammer (my exp is valid up until tier 4, i am black orc lvl 31). First, I love wow and I still think it's a very good game. But I must now admit, WAR is the holy mother of MMORPG. Why? - YOU CAN CHOOSE TO PLAY IT THE WAY YOU WANT very accessible to both hard core and casual players. there are many things that you can do. 20 classes (which will be 24) with 10 different mechanics. PVE lvling is more fun because it comes with interesting objectives and less grinding time needed (but some grinding remains - it's a MMORPG for god sake). Public Quest and Influence gain are also very good ideas. Instances: although there arent a lot of em yet. They are separated into many sub sections which can be done in a short period of time, or you can spend more time and finish all the quests in one go. scenarios (battleground): about 20 battlegrounds with different play styles, you can hardly get bored. RvR World Pvp battles = Dynasty warrior + Wow + Counter Strike 3 in 1. and you get to fight for the control of keeps. buy rams, ballistas etc. Lots & lots of character customization. Dyed items, trophies. You can also adjust different tactics to suit with playstyle. waaagh, I could go on and on.... Summary: just try it. atleast you will get to know what it's all about. I say you try it. but I also know that when you do, you will already cross the point of no return.
  • Agent4054 - October 6, 2008 5:42 p.m.

WAR class balance was based around the classes, thus making it better for PvP. WoW class balance was based around the monsters, which in turn make it pretty skewed for PvP. WAR set out to make a PvP MMO, and threw in PvE as a needed appetizer. WoW did the opposite. I've always hated WoW, but for none of the above reasons I stated. I just found it god-awfully boring. Personally, WAR is the best MMO I have played since UO. Big thumbs up from me.
  • Nost - October 6, 2008 3:37 p.m.

All you WoW players make me laugh becuase you all say "I'm not gonna leave WoW because of my time and effort I have put into my 70's" Well for your information everyone is starting over again! At 71 everyone is the same as you! Eveeything you have worked hard for over the years is GONE thrown out the window, done your the same as the next 71 next to you. Enjoy the WoW shortbus I won't miss it!
  • chaoslord - October 6, 2008 3:01 p.m.

I had previously played wow a ton (was in a high-end raiding guild) and quit because I realized they encourage the grind. daily quests, insane faction numbers required for rewards, buff food, pots, etc... for raiding. Warhammer doesn't have any of the grind feel to it. Each chapter has a faction, and doing 2/3 public quests is usually enough to max you out on influence (read: wow faction), which takes maybe 1-2 hours. Then you're rewarded with gear pertinent to your level. I agree though, tons of people won't want to give up the time invested in their wow toons. they should though. And I got a free month when I signed up, not sure what the person above is talking about. Its the same as any other MMO, when you sign up it asks how you're going to continue to pay, so you enter CC or gamecard info to register.
  • KibaPwnU - October 6, 2008 2:59 p.m.

I played WoW since it came out and got two lvl 70 and soon another but in the end I quit around 4 months before War came. Even though I never played very seriously I had alot of fun while lvling and doing UBRS. I guess what ruined the game was how Blizz made TBC with free epix and quite boring/stupid lore (Dranei) and also the reason I quit the game. One thing I think War fixed from War was grinding and giving some real PvP action not just grinding BG 100 times to get marks for Epix. Tactic slots and moral skills also gives a more advanced play style requiring more experience and gear will no longer give you the title "Pro". In the subject of race lore I prefer a stereotypically brutal orcs than being a flower sniffing Tauren who really should be stomping gnomes as the flies they are. Orcs using every single minute figuring how to best smash and kill their enemy fast and most painful. Not having to see your enemy in same armor as yourself since each race have their different classes and play style. To make balance you see similarities such as how both Witch Hunter and Witch Elf can use "stealth" only its not overpowered here and you got a time limit + action point drain (no mana, rage or energy in this game) I could go on a long time like this but I got something else to do :) Sry for writing so much for War but I just couldnt help it after experiencing how War differs from WoW in so many things :P
  • Allurer - October 6, 2008 2:30 p.m.

I was a Guild Master of a top 5 Alliance guild in WoW. I farmed all the time, actually liked it, also enjoyed helping get most all my raiding members keyed for the level 70 raids. To make a long story short, I quit, and no I didn't give the guild away I told the members that WoW was just not exciting for me anymore, the same things every day ... got old to me, so I just turned off my account. The farming I enjoyed so much made me hate the game. Farming Kara, Tk, SSC, Mt. Hyjal, BT, and SWP all of it got old. Mostly because the people on the server got greedy. When WotLK was announced most of them wanted to play their alts and gear them through the T-6 crap and would you guess they were in greens and blues....now come on!! Anyways I heard about War and signed up for the Bata and I fell in love again. I wanted to do the renown farming and the PQ grinding. I also like that I don't get spelled locked the entire time till I am dead by a rogue ... thats because War don't have them!!! Reason # 2 I love War. I would recommended playing War to level 30 before making a choice of how good or bad it is. Personally I feel it is the best game out there for me. I also feel that the PvP content in War is 100 times better that WoW for many reasons.. one I like is that they have diferent BG's for each tier and not just 4 that you are stuck playing from level 1 to 70.
  • MacSlappy - October 6, 2008 1:45 p.m.

I completely agree with the author. The reason some people think this game still is a grind is because mythic starts us off so fast and we never want to get off the fast track. As a hardcore mmoger, I've realized how much content i've missed 'grinding'. So yes, I can get to lvl 25 within a few days, but I miss out trying all the different scenarios, taking keeps, getting my t2, t3 sets, instances and PQ (i do pure pvp grind - khaines embrace t1, mourkains temple t2 and tor anoc t3). Having said that, I would like to point out to all the hardcore gamers complaining that there is still a grind that you're bullshit. We all have the option of slowing down and really appreciating the time the devs have put into the game, but if ur like me and don't want to, then its ur own problem. Any mmog that has a lvling system where u want to beat everyone to the cap will seem like a grind no matter how they make it.
  • Zzgashi - October 6, 2008 9:37 a.m.

I agree that WAR is a fantastic game, but people won't give up their friends they made in WoW to move on to a better game. I'm afraid that's all WoW has become: Renting out your friends.
  • Akiira - October 5, 2008 3:52 a.m.

lol @phnatom boner, best name ever. also i agree with what you where saying
  • Nydrin - October 4, 2008 7:21 p.m.

@pendola It took WOW years to hit that level of polish. It wasn't all roses on release thats for sure. War's release has easily been better. I actually like that I don't have to read a wall of text for quests either. I like that it shows me where to go so I can play without alt tabbing to websites just to know what to do. I also disagree about the pacing. In those zones, when you reach warcamps there's always quests where you fly to other zones. Nothing says you have to only stay in your race's zone the entire time obviously. If you're just rushing through each zone then thats not really war's fault. Thats your own decision. Just like people who do scenarios and RvR from level 1 - 40. Just another way to play the game. Thats what I really like the most about warhammer. I can play the game how I choose to play.
  • phantomboner - October 4, 2008 2:02 p.m.

@ Pentacube It also makes you look foolish to take things out of perpspective. I'm sure i can trawl the internet to find sources for Tolkien's influence and design but that wouldnt be the point, the point is a comparison between war and wow...Warhammer being alot closer to fantasy source material and influence than blizzard who i already stated used warhammer 40k designs as an influence for their starcraft series. i also chose my words carefully, i didnt say it "created" a genre i simply said "defined." Another case of someone needing to read before they comment. "In WAR, Orcs don't dance like MC Hammer outside the auction house. Why would they? They're too busy beating down Dwarves, stealing their delicious beer, and swearing in cockney English accents."
  • shadowless92 - October 4, 2008 12:54 p.m.

p.s. -monthly fees F*CK THAT
  • shadowless92 - October 4, 2008 12:50 p.m.

people who play wow (or any other mmo but mostly wow) are looser ok ...but any1 that played wow for a long time then quit it is a god =D it was so hard to quit "warcrack" but i did it and that is my biggest accomplishment to do with wow just think bout it if i didnt spent all that time trying to level my character up and get better items (which is basiclally the aim of the game lol) i probs would of got better grades and have better social life with my m8s and the girls ;P so my top tip dont get involved in wow and if u are QUIT IT trust me ull get respect
  • kornedbeefy - October 4, 2008 6:20 a.m.

Weird I just saw this after 4 years of WoW and to many characters/alts I was yet pissed off royally again becuase I'm sick and tired of Rogues "stun" killing all my casters and losing 95% of BG rounds. I play alliance. I'm fed the "F" up so instead of play WoW I'm out roaming on the web and found this. Also, I just won an auction on ebay for a new copy of Warhammer. I infectiously await it.
  • taro2012 - October 4, 2008 6:01 a.m.

ive been having a go at WAR for the last few weeks, trying out most of the classes (destro-side)and i have some mixed feelings about this game... for starters it looks beautiful, the mobs, the landskapes, the effects, even the animation. the questing is less tedious then WoW in the sense that the objectives are marked on the map and none of that random-drop bs. the BG maps are creative and whilst in them your level is normalized, so your nub ass stands half a chance if your in the 1-11 bracket as a lvl 3. that said its not without its weaknesses. for what is primerily a PvP game, PvP can be hard to come by. im on a server thats "full" and the queues for the battlegrounds, especially once u get past 11, become mind-bendingly long, and if you wanna pvp past midnight, forgetaboutit. something else of note is the tons of abilities they pile on each class. enjoy having 30+ diffent buttons to click, and if you like keybinding... well GL with that.. many of said abilities also cross over between classes all that being said.. it looks/feels/runs better then WoW did at its release Ps. expect to spend hours banging your head on your keyboard trying to figure out the stat system and sorry for the wall of text. oh PPS. no free first month 4 u...so tack $15 onto the retail price
  • dreamgor - October 4, 2008 5:55 a.m.

yup this is why i love it you find me at karak-norn as goraniusii when my good computer starts workingXD
  • 5v3nd0ttg - October 4, 2008 5:54 a.m.

Thanks Tyler I'll check it out, and maybe one day-soon I'll try my hands at WAR-Online too.
  • GamesRadarTylerNagata - October 4, 2008 1:19 a.m.

The orcs and the Chaos are great. If you're interested in the Warhammer universe but don't feel like committing to a new MMO, I would suggest Warhammer 40K Dawn of War. It's an excellent RTS and you can usually find it on sale for about twenty dollars.
  • callofdutygod - October 3, 2008 9:03 p.m.

is there a monthly fee? if so how much?
  • Speedwolf - October 3, 2008 6:09 p.m.

I played the beta of this game, and I have to say I was probably one of the best mmorpgs I have ever played, aside from CoH/CoV but maybe it will be my favorite if I get to play the full game.